PDA

View Full Version : UV texture

itemone
12-03-2007, 08:11 AM
hi,

I've just started using UV texture maps, and have run into a problem.

I'm trying to map a label onto a curved surface, I thought this would be a straight forward thing to do. When using planar projection the Map just flattened rather than unwrapped, only the polygon facing the the axis are in correct dimesions, the further the polygons are facing away from the axis the more squashed the corresponding polygon appear in the map, this could be adjusted by moving the points in the map, but is there a way to force LW to rotate all polys to face the axis, when generating the map?

Thanks for any help.

Itemone

label.jpg

IMI
12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Heh. You just "discovered" problem Numero Uno with UV mapping, the thing which makes it all so...fun. ;)
Forget about trying it with LW's built-in tools. As you said, you could deal with what you have and drag points all around, but here's a link to some really good, far better FREE plugins :

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

These are really good tools for UV mapping. They're not entirely "automatic" in alot of cases, but do a far better initial unwrapping job than anything in LW. :)

IMI
12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Another thing you might try with a simple object such as that is "atlas" unwrapping, to get all the parts separated and visible. After that, you unweld the points and move the parts into a more coherent assembly, then merge the points together again afterwards.
Works well with simple objects and boxy things.

emilc
12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I would use the plugins from nifty as well. They are excellent compaired to the built in functions. I never do uv-maps without them anymore.

DogBoy
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
If you just want to do those polys and have them all nice and equal, use UV Spider.

Hide all the geometry you don't want map
Select the first 2 polys you DO want mapped.
Go to Edit UVs -> More -> UVSpider
You will make a nice equalised UV map.

No need for Nifty, you don't use a torque wrench to crack a nut.

SplineGod
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
A very useful tool for something like this is Texture Guide II
http://lynx.aspect-design.de/plugins/texguide2_info.htm

IMI
12-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Texture Guide looks cool.

DogBoy, thanks for the info on UV Spider. I never knew how to use it or really even what it did - never messed with it. It does seem pretty useful though. :)

itemone
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Dogboy....found the UV Spider and got it working...have you got a way to make sure all your Maps are created to the same scale, or will I have to work this out manually?

Thanks for your help.

Itemone