PDA

View Full Version : Hello community i'm newbie and need your help !

hub73
12-03-2007, 04:21 AM
Hello i'm a french newbie lw9.3 registered user ! Lw is a fantastic and complete software ! But you already know that ! I'm an hobbist game programmer. i want use lw into my tiny game project. (Presentation here : http://www.zigwigwis.com/search_artist.php) to produce my own graphisms !

i use some dvd and read the documentation to learn the program. But i've already a newbie question...

see this picture http://www.zigwigwis.com/lw/pb01.gif.
as base i've used a toroid, next clear the bottom part by selecting some polygons. Next i've rebuild the form by reconstruct the bottom polygon (make polygon) and weld the points so each polygon corner have only one point. Next i want extrude the bottom polygons with the extrude tool... it works well but when i pass to wireframe to a smooth render view i see that some polygons are invisible ? so the form look open ! So how to divide a toroid into two part. Clear the bottom part but 'close' the form with polygons ???

Many thanks for your help !

ben martin
12-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Welcome,

You can select all polygons and go to:
DETAIL -> POLYGONS -> ALIGN.
This align the polygons faces all to the same side.

The second option is:
Select the polygon that is inverted (the face you don't see) and hit key "F" to flip its face. :)

hub73
12-03-2007, 05:55 AM
it works now with ben martin fix ! i know that there is a difference when you draw by hand a clockwise or anticlockwise polygon but i never know the right choice ! Many thanks !

ben martin
12-03-2007, 06:30 AM
i know that there is a difference when you draw by hand a clockwise or anticlockwise polygon but i never know the right choice ! Many thanks !

Add points clockwise.
Hit "p" and the polygon will face you! :)

hub73
12-03-2007, 07:43 AM
very helpfull. ANother tiny question... is there a way to deselect quicky points,poly or edges without click inside an empty zone of the interface ? Like a CTRL+D inside photoshop !

MooseDog
12-03-2007, 08:02 AM
oui. the "/" key to the lower right deselects.

*Pete*
12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
very helpfull. ANother tiny question... is there a way to deselect quicky points,poly or edges without click inside an empty zone of the interface ? Like a CTRL+D inside photoshop !

hold down right mousebutton and draw a lasso around the selected polys.

edit:

if you have a polygon selected, and want to select one more, hold down shift while selecting as usual, if you select too many polygons (or points, edges) simply select the ones you dont want to keep selected without holding shift...this will unselect them.

and, if noone has mentioned it yet. "nothing selected means everything selected in LW".

Hopper
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome hub.

Being a game programmer, you obviously play quite a bit as do I (when I can). If you use the usual game keys for movement AWSD, etc...(assuming you don't use a Nostromo or similar gamepad), you'll find your hand is always hovering in that position out of habit. I mapped the View->Drop Selection tool to my tilda key (~) and it has worked out great. It's a natural movement and you don't have to "look" at your keyboard to find it.

Also, something I have found to be extremely useful is to utilize your mouse driver for those operations that are core (i.e. Drop selection, Move, Size, etc...) I have a 5 button mouse, so I have mapped my side buttons to those types of operations. And of course, you have many possibilities using Ctl-Button, Alt-Button, Shift-Button, etc... Given a solid configuration, you rarely have to touch your keybaord for basic operations.

I hope this helps, and welcome to the party... :thumbsup:

Speedmonk42
12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
oui. the "/" key to the lower right deselects.

I just made a very loud 'Cartmen' like sound.

hub73
12-03-2007, 01:38 PM
i've a lot of things to learn with ligthwave ! Many thanks for yours advices. I'm sure that the best method to learn and progress is to experiment, make mistakes and errors, try to understand them ... and return sometime here to post some questions, take benefits for the others experience ! Have a nice day.

hub73
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
This evening i'm searching how to set antialiasing to the final rendered image... Sure it is in the doc but i can't find the info !

ben martin
12-03-2007, 02:59 PM
That one is too obvious:

Select: CAMERA (Ctrl+C)
PROPERTIES "p"
and select there the Antialiasing level/method you need! :hey:

hub73
12-04-2007, 05:39 AM
many thanks, finally yesterday i found this ! Lw is very impressive with alls this menus and options !
Now i'm searching a way to turn arround the selected object in the perspective view. I think that press 'g' do this ? i already know 'a' and ctrl-a to center on the scene. i've a french tutorial dvd, but the teacher don't explain very well the shortkeys !!! When he do a model it seems magic ! But difficult to find how to reproduce it later !

ben martin
12-04-2007, 07:20 AM
When he do a model it seems magic ! But difficult to find how to reproduce it later !
LOL... that's normal... here you have the Layout and Modeler shortcuts... enjoy!
Its from LW 8 but it aplies to the 9 version! :)

Oh yes, don't foget that "K" is not the same as "k"
Example:
"K" = SHITF + k
"k"= "key without SHIFT or CAPS LOCK on"

hub73
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks Ben for this list. I've not found a complete shortcut list for the v9 inside the pdf documentation (some info p.315 and 316 but is it the complete list ?)

IMI
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
You can also use Alt+F9 to open up the Configure Keys panel. It allows you to create your own keyboard shortcuts. There are quite a few empty, and quite a few LW can use.
I think with that panel open you can also press a key or a combination of keys to go to it in the list and to see what it's assigned to, if anything.

ben martin
12-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks Ben for this list. I've not found a complete shortcut list for the v9 inside the pdf documentation (some info p.315 and 316 but is it the complete list ?)
Lightwave is "key" configurable.
There are several shortcut schemes.
You can change Lightwave and Modeler schemes and if you do so some shortcuts also are changed but most of them (shortcuts) are pretty much equal.

Nevertheless if you are not happy with all the shortcuts in the list you can create your owns!

In MODELER or LAYOUT just go to:
(LEFT VERTICAL MENU) -> EDIT -> EDIT MENU LAYOUT
There you can change all the MENUS PRESETS.
To change the Shortcuts keys just go to:
(LEFT VERTICAL MENU) -> EDIT -> EDIT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS.

But you don't need to mess with these MENUS much.
They are pretty much structured to all needs and command shortcuts.

Just try to learn the basic shortcuts and all the rest will come with time and use! Try also to read Lightwave PDFs and use the Modeler/Layout HELP key.

Don't be scared to test and mess around, software usually do not explode! :)

hub73
12-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks ! From a previous post by the community about shortcuts : http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53989