PDA

View Full Version : Motion Mixer

mccabejc
12-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't see much discussion of Motion Mixer. I remember when it first came out it was a really nice feature. Except as I recall it had a bunch of gotchas that made it almost unusable for what I wanted to do.

I think I read somewhere that the guy who developed it also moved to Luxology, so I'm wondering if it's been improved much since it came out. Are folks using it, or does it still have some big issues?

Thanks.

Sande
12-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Last time I tried it still seemed to have a bunch of gotchas and I couldn't do what I wanted with it. If some of us have good experiences with it, I'd also like to know...

SplineGod
12-03-2007, 12:36 AM
What sort of gotchas were you referring to?
Ive used it on some projects and it worked pretty well.

jin choung
12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't see much discussion of Motion Mixer. I remember when it first came out it was a really nice feature. Except as I recall it had a bunch of gotchas that made it almost unusable for what I wanted to do.

I think I read somewhere that the guy who developed it also moved to Luxology, so I'm wondering if it's been improved much since it came out. Are folks using it, or does it still have some big issues?

Thanks.

it hasn't been improved much at all afaik or can tell. and they don't seem to have any plans at all to develop it.

jin

Tom Wood
12-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I use MotionMixer exclusively for my animations. It works perfectly for my setup where every character is a variation of the same design. Meaning, they all have the same parts with the same channels. It's drag and drop animation once you have it set up.

walfridson
12-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I use it for mixing/merging bvh files. Works very well.

Sande
12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
What sort of gotchas were you referring to?
Ive used it on some projects and it worked pretty well.
I've to say that I don't even remember what exactly went wrong (last time I tried was couple of years ago.) I guess it had something to do with the fact that I wanted to export the animation to realtime engine with our inhouse tools and I wasn't able to bake the animation properly or something similar - or that I couldn't get our rig to work as needed in Motion Mixer.

I like the concept though, maybe I should give it a try again some day...

xav
12-04-2007, 06:23 AM
I used it for an animation and encountered some problem
For what I remember:

-Motion mixer destroyed my endomorphs
-Refused to bake from some objects
-Some motion clips saved at 25fps reloaded at 30fps?

Certainly did I do some mistake, anyway I would'n use it without care.

ben martin
12-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Certainly did I do some mistake, anyway I would'n use it without care.
No, you didn't!
It's a fact that Motion Mixer has such glitches!
Plus, the Endomorphs channels are broken and are not considered by MMixer.

Anyway, it's time for NT to present a completely new integrated CA system and a working MMixer or (Animation Layers system).
This is a must in any modern CA tool. Even "Poser 7" is now equiped with "Anim Layers" already.

Yheaaa, I know, I'm becoming a [email protected] talking about Lw and CA, but I'll never give-up until something is done about!
DO YOU HEAR :newtek: ? DO YOU!!!!! :cursin: :jam: :twak:

Carm3D
12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
MotionMixer is antiquated. It needs a serious overhaul.

Sande
12-05-2007, 04:18 AM
I like the concept though, maybe I should give it a try again some day...
Some day became sooner than I thought. I had to reverse a short character animation today and MotionMixer seemed to work well on that. :)

bethel
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I like to know the following regarding motion mixer....

My students are working in small groups to animate a couple of musical instruments. I know how to create the motion, save the motion, etc. and apply it on the timeline in Motion Mixer.

My question is: since they are working as groups, they would need to load each other's object (with its motions) in their individual portions of the project. After I created the actor (with bones) and animated it, saved its motions in motion mixer, made sure it worked, I open a new scene and 'Load objects from scene.' I get a couple of error messages...

1. Bones not found and when I added the motions, the bone movements are not recorded, even though the bones were added as items for the actor in the original scene when the motion was created
2. When the motion mixer panel opens, the actor is grayed out.

Hope this makes sense. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Dodgy
01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
I used it for an animation and encountered some problem
For what I remember:

-Motion mixer destroyed my endomorphs

This should be fixed in 9.3.1 I think. They certainly did some work on this.

tyrot
04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
dear proton

is there anyone here to make a BVH import-motionmixer- workflow video tutorial ?

i d like to use motionmixer but my knowledge is only limited to 2 old proton's tutorial..

BEST