PDA

View Full Version : Texture Map Creator

kosmodave
12-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Hi Everone,

Thought this may be useful to try.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com

Looks good, but I am not very good at texturing yet to fully evaluate.
Get it now as it's free.....:)

Regards
Dave.

SplineGod
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Been using this for awhile. Its really nice. :)

gerry_g
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
This is just a variant of what ships for free with Modo, I've never really bought into the idea that texturing was as simple as pressing a few buttons, it doesn't replace skill or artistic judgement in my book.

Iain
12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Brilliant. Thanks for the heads up!

:thumbsup:

Mipmap
12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
This is just a variant of what ships for free with Modo, I've never really bought into the idea that texturing was as simple as pressing a few buttons, it doesn't replace skill or artistic judgement in my book.

I agree that nothing ever does replace it, but in my world I have to make textures that must tile pretty often and I can say a lot of the steps in doing so are more just tedious and painful and mostly brainless. Like making the texture and it's appearance is not, but editing while worrying about it's ability to tile can just be more of a pain in a distracting kind of way.

So in the end if this thing does what I think it is suggesting on it's site then it may just save a lot time wasted on tedious repetitive stuff and allow more time for what we agree on that cannot be replaced.

Although lately when making textures I've almost had more of a tendency to prefer modeling actual geometry of a tileable 3D panel and then just rendering it out as a texture.

-EsHrA-
12-03-2007, 02:31 AM
2.5 is free from the mapzone site but 2.6 is currently for free on 3d world mag january issue.

mlon

GandB
12-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks for this; it should be relevant to my work with game media.

-Keith

Philbert
01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I just started playing with this (2.5) today and frankly it's confusing. Even the beginner tutorials aren't much help because they seem to assume you've been using the program for a while. Which doesn't make much sense if you're a beginner.

inkpen3d
01-15-2008, 01:43 AM
I just started playing with this (2.5) today and frankly it's confusing. Even the beginner tutorials aren't much help because they seem to assume you've been using the program for a while. Which doesn't make much sense if you're a beginner.

Totally agree. It looks to be a good package that suffers from a lack of good documentation and tutorials - it certainly doesn't encourage anyone to purchase anything from these guys if this is going to be the level of supporting material for their applications. Shame really, it could have been useful if I didn't have the prospect of spending a considerable amount of time experimenting/exploring just to find out how to do some fairly basic stuff.

Philbert
01-15-2008, 01:50 AM
It's funny actually if you look at the artwork on the site it looks awesome, but if you look at the work in the user gallery it's not nearly as nice.

inkpen3d
01-15-2008, 02:18 AM
It's funny actually if you look at the artwork on the site it looks awesome, but if you look at the work in the user gallery it's not nearly as nice.
QED. Betting is that the developer(s) who live/sleep the application just can't imagine that anyone would not find it intuitive and easy to use, and so what's the point in wasting time producing all that user friendly documentation and tutorials. This seems to happen all too often. Best to always assume that the user knows absolutely nothing and will have to be led by the hand from novice to expert level.

jburford
01-15-2008, 02:45 AM
It looks very promising and professional, but... as all say, very confusing to get into and going.