PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Grid: Not cool!

tommyzDad
12-01-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm reading "Essential Lightwave v9"--awesome book btw!!! :bowdown: --....and am experiencing a strange phenomena with LW. (I mention the book because one of the first "tutorials" had me pre-setting the NumPad keys to different views, eg. Texture, Wireframe, etc.)

The problem is, when I change the view, the grids disappear. I have to hit "D" and re-enable them. I've gone for far as to remap the pre-sets, making sure that Grid is indeed enabled. To no avail: the darned things keep disappearing. :help:

I'm running the Trial of v9.3 (I think that's it).

Sensei
12-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Try opening Display Options 'd' key, and GL tab, turn on Legacy OpenGL..

Hopper
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
and if that doesn't work, rename your config file to something else temporarily, so Modeler won't find it, thus creating a new one with all defaults set.

tommyzDad
12-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I was able to figure the cause(s).

The settings for whichever viewport you have the mouse pointer over is what gets saved in the keybind. I'm sure you gurus are well aware of that. Well, I was using my Perspective 'port in which I have grid off! DOH! So Modeler was just doing was I set it to do, just not what I wanted it to. :D

Hopper
12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Then there's at least two people who have done that then. :) I did the same thing even after JUST reading the part that informs you about the mouse location and the viewports.

I actually stopped doing that little trick. Once it's in your config, there's no way to remove it. Then if you add more they show up in your drop down list forever. It also allows for duplicate names (bad programmers... BAD programmers).

--
I just finished the Essentials book and am now starting in on the Lighting book (and I say "the" lighting book ala Boughen). Ecellent books.

tommyzDad
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
What's that book title, Hopper?

IMI
12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
The Lighting book I believe he's talking about is LightWave v9 Lighting, also published by Wordware. (I might not have the title completely right)

Yes, Essential LightWave v9 is an outstanding book, with great videos as well. :)

By the way, you can keep the Display Options panel open while you work in Modeler, to make changes for what to display and so on, instead of constantly opening and closing it.

IMI
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, that's the title:

http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Lighting-Wordware-Graphics-Library/dp/159822039X

Heh. Hilarious. I Googled that and found the Amazon link. I thought the picture on the book cover looked awfully familiar...
Looked up at my bookshelf and lo and behold...
I totally forgot I bought that book about 3 months ago or so! :foreheads

meshpig
12-05-2007, 01:59 AM
-

meshpig
12-05-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm reading "Essential Lightwave v9"--awesome book btw!!! :bowdown: --....and am experiencing a strange phenomena with LW. (I mention the book because one of the first "tutorials" had me pre-setting the NumPad keys to different views, eg. Texture, Wireframe, etc.)

The problem is, when I change the view, the grids disappear. I have to hit "D" and re-enable them. I've gone for far as to remap the pre-sets, making sure that Grid is indeed enabled. To no avail: the darned things keep disappearing. :help:

I'm running the Trial of v9.3 (I think that's it).

What about the obvious, as in scaling? ie. if you have an object too big for the grid size in layout the grid gets clipped (along with the near distance of the object in any view port). In modeler, the near clip is fixed.

-Make sure you don't have a 200 m wide toothbrush in a 1x1m scene kind of thing.

Also, the grid settings in modeler have nothing to do with the grid in layout except for the scale.

m:)

Airwaves
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
"I'm reading "Essential Lightwave v9"--awesome book btw!!! --....and am experiencing a strange phenomena with LW. (I mention the book because one of the first "tutorials" had me pre-setting the NumPad keys to different views, eg. Texture, Wireframe, etc."

I am brand new to lightwave and am using that book to learn and i need help! I cannot find the select loop tool. I have 10.1 and I have no idea how to delete config files. Can someone walk me through to set everything back to default?

I tried edit menu layout and changing presets and still have same problem.
Thanks

Sensei
01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Configs are in something similar to
C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\.NewTek\LightWave\10.1

Select Loop should be in Selection tab.

Maybe your problem is related to not adding all plug-ins? Try Edit Plug-ins > Scan Dir and pick up base directory where is everything..

Airwaves
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah! It was the plugin problem. I have never done that before. Thank you so much.