PDA

View Full Version : fired game reviewer may bring down gamespot-hopefully eidos

tyrot
11-30-2007, 07:42 PM
dear wavers..

just wanted to share this with you

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/eidos-and-gamespot-forums-exploding-over-gerstmann-incident (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/30/eidos-and-gamespot-forums-exploding-over-gerstmann-incident/)

and user reaction to Kane - lynch game ...Hurray for brits!!
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kanelynchdeadmen/players.html?tag=readerreviews;alluser/

hopefully this will teach a lesson to all AD-Mind gamereviewing sites and all greedy publishers.

best

Wonderpup
12-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Really interesting situation, in tryng to swat the guy they've turned him into a hero, and given his voice far more credibilty than it had before. I suspect his lukewarm review will be taken a lot more seriously and be seen by a lot more people now- after all, if he was wrong, why the need to shut him up?

A fantastic example of how the web changes the dynamics of power- not so long ago individuals like this could be dismissed out of hand, but not any more- now there are consequences.

Exception
12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
but not any more- now there are consequences.

Sometimes, when it suits the basic unsophisticated ethical considerations of the masses...
Which happens to be in a good sense this time.

Steamthrower
12-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Recently I read a review in Macworld concerning Parallels Desktop 3. And it was so glaringly biased towards the full-page full-color ad from Parallels that it nearly drove me insane. Biased reviewing is so common, and the few who actually don't go with the flow are apparently fired.

Parallels Desktop has full DirectX support? No way, but the review made it seem like I could play Call of Duty 4 right out of the box. Like...with about 16 GB of RAM?

Wonderpup
12-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Sometimes, when it suits the basic unsophisticated ethical considerations of the masses...
Which happens to be in a good sense this time.

What's interesting about the web is how it has transformed the opionions of ordinary people into a real commercial force, something that even large corporations are now having to accomodate.

In some ways we are seeing the original military notion of the net as a near indestructable commuications system translated into marketing- no matter how much money a corporate might spend on trying to control it's image, the sheer size of the net -and it's viral nature -makes it impossible to shout down alternate views.

MooseDog
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
...in tryng to swat the guy they've turned him into a hero, and given his voice far more credibilty than it had before...

that's called the streisand effect. a little f.y.i. for your next cocktail party banter:D

A fantastic example of how the web changes the dynamics of power

in the consumer's favor. for a company to be treated as ethical by it's customers, it must now actually behave suchly.

...the basic unsophisticated ethical considerations of the masses...

don't let the ivy league go to your head e. :thumbsup: me and karl marx will find you :).

Exception
12-01-2007, 06:19 PM
in the consumer's favor. for a company to be treated as ethical by it's customers, it must now actually behave suchly.

No, appear as such. I don't see Nike, Shell, Exxon, GAP, Pfizer or Coca Cola being treated as unethical entities, eventhough their actions, which are publicly accesible and publicised all over the place, are of a nature far more despicable than an incident like this.

don't let the ivy league go to your head e. :thumbsup: me and karl marx will find you :).

I'm as red as a strawberry... doesn't mean that I think the masses are smart :), as soon as it goes a little over the average individual's head in complexity or is a little out of the realm of the average westener's lifestyle (EG robbing african tribes of their water wells, yes coca cola I mean you), it receives no attention at all. So as long as a company does the 'right thing' towards the direct users of their products it's fine, but what happens out back or in the realm of the suits, nobody really cares about enough to kick up a storm like this, so they get away with it.

MooseDog
12-01-2007, 08:52 PM
...So as long as a company does the 'right thing' towards the direct users of their products it's fine, but what happens out back or in the realm of the suits, nobody really cares about enough to kick up a storm like this, so they get away with it...

agreed 100%.

a.) seller-buyer relationship will only improve to the favor of the buyer (that's you and me) over time. this incident is a good example. what the website at issue was selling is now very dis-credited.

and b.) behind the handshake of a purchase there's more un-speakable nonsense and immoral krappe then we can imagine.

i'd propose that un-knowing, or choosing not to know, (take your pick) is different from un-sophisticated. yes, the two often go hand in hand, but to be honest and give oneself more insight, i accept they're different. mho:)

Red_Oddity
12-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I think Kieron Gillen has a nice article on what game reviewing should be about : http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=3