PDA

View Full Version : Lw

jtc3
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Should I buy over-the-counter, or have a computer friend build a system to support NewTek's software...anyone? thx

Hopper
12-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Well, everyone knows that prescription systems are more effective than over-the-counter models. You just have to be careful not to get hooked. :D

But seriously... IMO it's preference. Support vs. no support, custom vs. stock with "upgrade" packages, etc... I got tired of building my own the last time, and for the parts I wanted, the cost was close either way, so I just ordered an entire package. I was happy with it even though I was expecting the worst.

If you go custom, obviously put your first priorities into CPU, GPU(s), then RAM speed. Disk I/O is secondary, but still important (RAID ability would be preferred). And of course, this is just opinion. I'm sure many out there won't see it like I do and I do not do 3D art for a living, so I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert for this sort of application. My specialty is in server farms, grid computing, etc...

Shop around, get as many reviews and opinions as you can.

Cheers.

Andyjaggy
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Spec out what you want. go to Newegg and gather prices. Then see if you can find anything close prebuilt for that price. If you can go for it. If you can't you have to decide how important support is. If it's not an issue then build it yourself.

Easy enough.

Hopper
12-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Andy's suggestion is a great one. I've found Newegg to be an excellent place to order equipment.

@Andy:
Holy cow man ... is that "Jabba the Cat" ?

Andyjaggy
12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
He does like Pizza a lot.

0scrooge0
12-03-2007, 12:51 PM
@AndyJaggy:

Is your cat a mormon ? :)

Andyjaggy
12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Haha. No, I think it would be bad to babtize my cat :D

jtc3
12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
thanks 'AJ'. I sure got slayed for posting this question everywhere. but that's all I was trying to do was ask the smart guys questions i don't know. thanks for taking the time.
that's one big cat.