PDA

View Full Version : Lw, 3d, Se

jtc3
11-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Should I buy over-the-counter, or have a computer friend build a system to support NewTek's software...anyone? thx

Speedmonk42
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I think the XPS 420 from Dell right now is a pretty darn good deal.

At least it is in Canada.

Just upgrade the monitor to 24" and you are lauging for like 1500 bux Canadian.

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Personally, I always build my own machine if I am going to be using it for serious work. If it is for an office situation I'll likely be finding the cheapest pre-made one out there, slap a monitor on it and be good to go. But if I am using it for production work I always build it myself.

If your friend is doing it for free, OK you might save a little. But you have to know what to put in it. If he is familiar with 3D apps that is a plus. But the whole point about building your own machine is to have ultimate control as to what you really need and what you don't and to put money in the things that are going to enhance performance for your needs. That is where the economy comes into the picture. For that, somebody has to know enough about the application you are using and the computer market. If your buddy is familiar with games for instance that will not directly carry over into using it for 3D production work. Your best bet in either case is to do the research yourself. These are things that are very good to know about even as an artist IMHO.

Speedmonk42
11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
The most important thing if you are going to use SE is probably having a nice RAID.

I guess it might also depend on the kind of work you do. It might be better to have a dual core 3Ghz rather than a Quad 2.4

Speedmonk42
11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Surrealist, what is your opinion on getting an OpenGL board vs say the consumer graphics cards. I have never used one.

Oh, Hey JTC3, how much do you want to spend on a system, that might help us a bit.

pauland
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Any particular reason you thought asking the same question in four threads on these forums was a good idea?

Surrealist.
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey Surrealist, what is your opinion on getting an OpenGL board vs say the consumer graphics cards. I have never used one.

Oh, Hey JTC3, how much do you want to spend on a system, that might help us a bit.

If you mean a pro level card from what I have been reading there is not enough of an increase in performance to justify it, but I have no direct experience with them. For me I would lean toward a top-of-the-line consumer card with as much RAM as I could afford.

jtc3
12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm liking the XPS. here's the computer I bought at black friday sale. what do ya'll think? should i return it?
came with 24" mon for $999 total. ($1400 reg. less rebates)

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=34 9201
thanks,
j

jtc3
12-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I've been told to build a decent one, including software LW, SE, 3D (all of which I haven't used much yet) be prepared to spend $2k min. I bought my computer during black friday and haven't opened it yet. after rebates, got a 24" monitor and computer for $999. i'm wondering if i should return it or not. here's the computer i bought.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=34 9201
thanks,
j

jtc3
12-02-2007, 11:46 PM
i posted the same thread 4 times because i'm new to this forum. wanted to get a broad perspective from everyone in various disciplines. forgive me if it's a mistake.

Speedmonk42
12-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Links don't work...

:(