PDA

View Full Version : Computer Recommendations SE, LW, 3D

jtc3
11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Should I buy over-the-counter, or have a computer friend build a system to support NewTek's software...anyone? thx

Exception
11-30-2007, 09:37 PM
It's cheaper and more flexible to build a system yourself, but you might bump in a few issues. Building a good computer is not hard but you do have to know what you're doing. Matching memory, Mobo chipset, processor and video card are essential elements, not to forget a proper power supply and decent case.

If you're in doubt about your friend's capabilities, I'd go for a pre-built. That said, you can't do worse than a Dell. You yourself could probably do better than that. On the other side, something like Boxx is just insane. you can build the same system for half the money yourself.

aldoktor
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
go to memory express or similar and order a gaming machine package with a Q6600 and 8800 gt, put what ever else you want in it and it should be cheaper than buying the parts separate and they will build and test it for you. around $1500. unless you want to spend more?

danielkaiser
11-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Build it yourself, nothing more satisfying than when you press the power button and here that first post beep. and the pride of job well done as you gaze upon that glowing 75lb box that, frankly takes up a good part of the living room.

Also when ordering parts, avoid buying directly from a web site and call their customer support line, they ofttimes will give you a break on things like shipping and other components, and don't be afraid to ask.

ted
12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
While I would normally say have a dealer build your system, my last experience was not a pleasant one. Partly due to my time frame and I was building a system with too many JUST released components.
But I had to do a LOT of homework and spend more time on what to and not to use as well as find many steps not done as I asked. That's another story!
I'm pretty happy now though.

My second suggestion is DON'T go cheap. Use brand name components and tested components for your applications. The smart geeks here can help you with proven components. I know I got a lot of help here for my system. :bowdown:

Third, spend a little more then the cheapest options to get by. You'll outgrow your system before you know it. And that sucks. :D
I wish you luck.

jtc3
12-02-2007, 11:28 PM
thanks for the advice. it's a good start .

jtc3
12-02-2007, 11:33 PM
thanks to all who helped ...this is actually the computer i bought during black friday for $999.(rebates), came with acer 24" monitor, too. what do you guys think about this computer for running SE, LW, 3D?

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod..._code=34 9201
thanks,
j

Steamthrower
12-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Looks like your link is bad, jtc3.