PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a dongle failure happening?

drclare
11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Recently LW is freezing my computer more than normal. It will just freeze up, oftern during rendering, and nothing can bring it back but a hardware restart. However, I've also noticed some other strange things. If I'm working in other apps, like After Effects, as well as in LW, all of a sudden the system will freeze up for 10 or 20 seconds. Then it will just come right back. Also sometimes Windows XP will give me an error message saying that a USB device is not functioning properly, but I have no USB devices plugged in other than my LW dongle and a keyboard. Could these be symptoms of a failing dongle? I've been watching the green light now and then it it's always on, and I've plugged it into other systems and they recognize it without a problem. I don't think the dongle is going bad but I don't know what else the problem could be. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for any help you can offer me.

archijam
11-30-2007, 03:38 PM
As far as I know LW only checks for the dongle at startup.

I had modeler running all day with no dongle in and there was no problem.

Sounds more like a RAM issue to me .. can you run a ram diagnostic?

j.

Hopper
12-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I agree with Archijam. RAM could definately be a problem, but if Windows is complaining about USB, then you may have issues with the USB driver that integrates the USB hub with your motherboard. I don't know what kind of system you have, but if you can, try to find out what model of motherboard you have, then go find updated drivers. Windows does a "best guess" as far as to what drivers need to be loaded during installation. It is up to you to install specific ones for any piece of hardware that may require them.

One thing to try. Take the LW dongle out and run other applications for a while and see if it still happens. If it does, unload the Sentinel driver that installed with LW and THEN see if it still happens. If it does, you more than likely have a USB driver issue.

But then again... it's Winblows - it will wind up being something stupid like your desktop background color. :D

Hopper
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
After thinking about it a bit more, it might shed some light on the problem if you take a look at your System Event log and find out if the error is reported. If it is (and is a hardware issue) it will provide you with the hardware base memory address that is is having issues with. Then go into your Device Manager and look at the Resource tab under the properties for each USB device type and match it up to find which one is the problem.