PDA

View Full Version : VectorWorks to Lightwave?

Andy Webb
11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know how I can get a VectorWorks file into Lightwave?

A client has sent me a file with an mcd extension to it and I'm guessing it's a VectorWorks file.

I know nothing about VectorWorks, is it a good program or bad or what?

Thanks

Andy

archijam
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Vectorworks is suprisingly OK. Getting better with each incarnation.

Is it a 3d file? they should really export it as something useful.

Vectorworks tries to be 2.5D .. ie. the plan is linked to the 3d info. I would guess that even if they save as a DWG (which would be fine for 2D) any 3D info would be half baked ...

I use AutoCAD mostly, but looking thru the Vectorworks Export list:

j.

Exception
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Vectorworks is fantastic.
Way better than Autocad.

You can open and save it as a normal 3d file, several formats, from vectorworks, like a dwg. But you need vectorworks to do it.

Exception
11-30-2007, 11:57 AM
James, go away.

Andy Webb
11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I could probably get the client to save the file in a different format, but which format would be best for LW, 3DS?

I need it to be 3D, I haven't the time to rebuild anything, so if I will need to do a lot of tidying up then this might become a problem.

Thanks

Exception
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
I could probably get the client to save the file in a different format, but which format would be best for LW, 3DS?

I need it to be 3D, I haven't the time to rebuild anything, so if I will need to do a lot of tidying up then this might become a problem.

Thanks

OBJ is usually your best bet (including the MAT file for materials), because it supports quads, if that fails, or isn't available, .3ds is next (triangles with materials), and if that doesnt work, dxf (just triangles).

For all three, use Accutrans3D to convert them to Lightwave.

I usually end up remodeling everything...

archijam
11-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I said it was SURPRISINGLY OK :)

How nice do I have to be?

But you have the 'word' from Tom. I was just giving my best guess.

DWG, 3DS or IGES it is. ;)

Couldn't find the OBJ format (Vectorworks 12.5).

I attached the last thing that Tom modelled and exported from Vectorworks....

j.

ingo
11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Ohh so cute, whats its name ? Snakefood ???? :D:D:D

Ztreem
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
That must be a killer mouse. :D

Exception
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Its a russian dwarf hamster, and everyone knows russians have Kalashnikovs. I actually had those hamsters when I was little.
Then I ate them.
It is indeed the last thing I made.
Before dunning my kimono and giving James an exclusive asian massage.

Hmmmm

archijam
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Andy - I'm sorry you got stuck in the middle of this.

Exception injured one of my prize race horses, and our professional relationship has never been the same since.

I modelled something for him in FormZ (attached), rang his doorbell and left it in a flaming paper bag on his doorstep in New Haven, but even this gesture of kindness was unanswered...

Go Figure.

Exception
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
The turd dog with bronchitis and a personality disorder kept using the force on my precious collection of chewing gum kitten statues while chasing aways my various harem members from out of the cellar.
It's not that I am unthankful, just misunderstood.

Andy Webb
12-01-2007, 06:02 PM
:d :d

what's happened to the smiles all of a sudden?

Exception
12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
:d :d

what's happened to the smiles all of a sudden?

Darth Doggy ate them.

Andy Webb
12-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Kitty Skywalker to the rescue :cat:

archijam
12-02-2007, 07:27 AM
*Looking for me?*

aquinde
12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I move geometry between VW & LW all the time. My workflow is to make sure you're in Top view (not Top/Plan view) in VW and export as a .dwg. Hopefully all the geometry in VW is in a Class with a Fill applied, otherwise all you get is wireframe which will come into LW as curves. There can be a lot of cleanup and file tweaks within VW to get nice clean geometry in LW. Sometimes it's faster to just grab points from imported curves in LW and rebuild.

Usually I use Deep Exploration from Right Hemisphere to convert the .dwg to an .lwo with a scaling factor of 2.54. Sometimes I skip DeepEx and import via LWCAD. I usually try both and see which comes in 'cleaner'.

In LW I clean up layers and use a lot of uTriFouth (see Flay.com) and Align (Refine/Polygons).

Have fun!