PDA

View Full Version : Bomp drop enviroment

martz20
11-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Hi all, I've lurked for a few years but this is my first post.
I've got to drop a bomb of the wing of a plane and follow it to its target. (I didn't model the plane I just textured animated it.) I'm not sure the best way to go about this as the Camera takes in the line between sky and ground and I'm not sure thats the best way any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time

ben martin
11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not sure if I understand you... your question is technical:
Q- How to make the camera follow the bomb?
A- Parent the camera to the bomb.

Or conceptual:

Q- Which is the best angle to follow the bomb?
A- Try the standard dive! "Ala Pearl Harbor" :hey:

Phil
11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
You're just trying to eliminate the transition between land and sky? Try some fog. Or hills.

archijam
11-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice render! :)

martz20
11-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks for getting back to me guys. It's more of a conceptual question.

I 've been using a google image for the ground plane and an image mapped to a sphere for the sky. but its the join between the ground and the sky that's driving me nuts. I've tried fogging it but it gives a weird matt look to the edge. Am i going the wrong way about it using a sphere and ground plane?

All the best

MArtin

ben martin
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Try a full dome with 5 km diameter (presuming the model is at scale) then mount the scene inside that dome (dome polygons normal facing inside) and map the dome with a real full sky/land map. Seems easy but it is not!

Other approach is to use a “landscape” software (like Terragen) to render/generate a 360º land/sky image to be used with Lightwave/Effects/Add Environment/Texture.

My way:
Use a landscape generator to render the scene environment and composite that with the Lightwave render (plane and bomb) – (camera motion sync).

Best luck. :thumbsup:

martz20
11-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey Ben thanks a lot. I'll go for the 5km dome first then i'll check out a landsacpe generator. Cheers

ben martin
12-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Here you have an earth dome (5km d).

The problem now is to set-up a 360º environment texture to map it, including Earth, horizon and sky.
Oh, don't forget to raise the texture illumination to 100%.
If you try to set-up a Lightwave illumination to light the landscape it won't work. Everyone will notice it is fake.

martz20
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Ben thank you for the dome, it came in real handy. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

Steamthrower
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Very nice render!

hijacker
12-03-2007, 05:43 PM
for a good example of following bombs go and rent the movie Pearl Harbour, the one made a couple of years ago. It has some good drop scenes, dropping onto the Texas I think, but you'll have to find them.

cheers

Martyn