PDA

View Full Version : MicroWave

StOuen
11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I was checking out MicroWave by Evasion: http://www.evs3d.com/mw_lw_intro.html looks rather neat.

Seems like quite old now, is it still relevant? And is there anything else out their which does the same thing? Must be great for pre-vis and conceptuals.

walfridson
11-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Lightwave new camera baker does it fast.
Kray bakes very fast. Is a whole other render engine so F9 wont look like the baked textures thou.

IMI
12-02-2007, 04:24 PM
LW's baking camera is a pain in the butt to get set up right, but well worth it once that's taken care of. I took me a good while to figure out.
Sure would be nice though if they added multi-threading to the "old" surface baker shader.

sammael
12-03-2007, 02:37 AM
I found the baking cam to be fairly straightforward once you understand how it works, there are some free plugins to do normal maps as well. With LW9 there is no need for Microwave at all, it's obsolete.

jin choung
12-03-2007, 02:47 AM
microwave is a ridiculous rip off in this day and age. there are free tools around as far as the eye can see that will give you equivalent results. seriously, don't waste your money.

jin

Magnus81
12-04-2007, 12:26 AM
And you could get Zbrush 3. Normal maps to name the least, 1 billion polys to sculpt with, painting on to your models in 3d with no UV seams.... Ahhhh. I love Zbrush!!

Mipmap
12-04-2007, 09:23 PM
After messing around with it I found the surface baking camera seems to do ok as well. But like it has been said, it can be a pain to get set up.

The only other thing I wish was possible would be to put another camera facing the object which you could use to have the specularity appear in the texture based on the angle\view of the extra camera so that the shine could be where you want it if you do want specular to be baked. In an object where I wanted specular baked I ended up having to disable specular for all lights except a new point light that was specular only, and drag it around the scene and watch in Fprime to see where my specular was showing up until it was where I wanted it.