PDA

View Full Version : psd export bug?

bagou01
11-30-2007, 02:04 AM
hi,i need to render multipass but psd export won't seem to work for me: i render a psd using the image filter,but whatever i select or unselect in the options, photoshop (either CS2 and CS3) tells me that : "unable to read layer data, read composite data instead?"
and so i don't have my layers at all....

bagou01
11-30-2007, 02:12 AM
well it seems to work fine in half res.
but when i work in HD resolution,it won't work anymore

archijam
11-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Can you post your machine/LW/camera specs?

I will try to repeat your problem.

j.

Steph
12-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Hello Bagou

I have had the same problem on my Mac G5 (1,5 Go RAM). I suppose it's a memory problem but not sure.It render correctly in lower resolution.

Surrealist.
12-01-2007, 01:09 AM
The fact that it is working in one res but not another does seem like it might point to a memory issue. Have you tried to up your Photoshop memory allocation - or does it work like that on a mac?

Steph
12-01-2007, 05:00 AM
In fact, It's not a mameory limitation on photoshop, but on Lightwave when it is rendering the multipass to the PSD file.
I have no problem handling very large PSD file in photoshop on my Mac.

archijam
12-01-2007, 05:52 AM
I do not see how this can be a photoshop issue.

Bagou - can you post more info on the exact camera type, res etc?
Maybe you could replace your scene objects with a simple box from modeler and see if the problem persists?

This needs more testing in LW with various resolutions, and IF it can be confirmed, and a bug report sent.

j.

Surrealist.
12-01-2007, 08:44 PM
In fact, It's not a mameory limitation on photoshop, but on Lightwave when it is rendering the multipass to the PSD file.
I have no problem handling very large PSD file in photoshop on my Mac.

Oh, I see what you mean now. That makes sense.

bagou01
12-03-2007, 01:13 AM
i'm using perspective camera to render 1920/1080 images.
this afternoon,i'll try to install WINxp64 to take advantage of my 8G ram (actually i'm on win32 which uses only 2 of my 8G) that might as well be a ram problem.i'll keep you update.

simpfendoerfer
12-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I have the same problem here. Mac G5.

If it is a memory problem, I also would wish I could output just the buffers I need and not always also a whole set of layers in addition.

archijam
12-03-2007, 03:39 PM
bugreport! send a file!

j.

Surrealist.
12-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I replied to the other thread as well, but I tested at full HD 1920 x 1080 and it worked. I had about 8 layers saved out. Larger (print) resolutions produced problems however so it might very well be a RAM issue because although on the larger (4000x4000) attempt I got an out of memory message in LW I did not get that message at lower resolutions (down to 2000 x2000) yet the file would not open in PS. So when you add the fact that the scene could be large enough to eat up enough RAM that could be a factor in the save out with no error message from LW, yet still not open in PS. Just an educated guess but it would be worth trying a simpler scene in full HD to see if it does in fact work for you.

simpfendoerfer
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
It worked for 1410 x 1950. It did not work at double the size.

I can see the problem of saving 8 layers of large RGB images at once. One for each buffer in a layer. I don't know how LW combines all those buffers internally without running out of memory.

But I wonder if it would help, if one would be able to specify the buffers one needs and forget the rest. That doesn't seem to be possible right now.

Steph
12-04-2007, 12:34 AM
simpfendoerfer - you can try using several time the "Render buffer output"
or "Render buffer view" if you just need some specific buffers. These plugs are located in the same panel than the PSD export.

Surrealist.
12-04-2007, 01:03 AM
I think what he means is that the PSD export exports the layers with nothing (or black) even though they are not selected in the panel within LW. At least I think that is what he means because that is what it does. But if not, I agree, if you want to build the layers one by one you can do that. But the cool thing about the PSD plugin is that it creates the PS file with layers all set to their respective blend mode.

Skittixch
01-13-2008, 03:20 PM
hey, sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread, but I'm trying having this same problem...did it ever get resolved??

Steph
01-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi Skittixch

As I said ealier in this thread, It's a memory limitation on Lightwave when it is rendering the multipass to the PSD file.
With that problem, I lower the resolution of the final render output and Lightwave is able to render correctly the PSD export. From my experience, it is not a Photoshop problem.

If you are short in memory, try to render your image in several part with Limited Region, and try to lower the Segment Memory Limit in the render panel (sometimes people think this as to be put very high, but it's not true and it consumm). Keep in mind that this two possibilities are not compatible with some post-processing filters. See page 405-406 of the Surface and render panel.

Excuse my bad english.
Hope this could help