PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question concerning extruding a logo from vector art

Smcrorey
11-30-2007, 12:28 AM
First and foremost, I'm sorry.

Secondly, I _have_ checked the tutorial on the newtek site.. I even downloaded the sample file, and it extrudes brilliantly.

Third, I'm not photoshop savvy, but I own it. Awesome.

Ok, I've been trying to extrude a logo from a black and white jpg. I successfully convert it to eps, reveal the vector mapping, save it as AI9, and import it into modeller just fine. The problem is, I can't get any of the holes to cut out properly, or I end up with a hollow object when I extrude.

Where am I going wrong? This is really starting to irk me.

Please feel free to flame as long as you can help resolve the issue, and as long as it's funny.. I could use a laugh.

Thanks, gang.

Samples included...

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 12:49 AM
A couple of quick things to check:

Make sure you have the following settings in the EPSF loader. Convert To Closed Polygons. And then check Auto Axis Drill to turn on that feature.

Assuming that all works out, when you extrude make sure you are extruding away from the direction the polygon normal is facing.

If it still looks hollow use the flip command (f).

Another reason it could be hollow would be if you only imported Poly Lines.

Now I know that wasn't funny but hopefully it helps. :)

Smcrorey
11-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Hello Surrealist,

Thanks for the quick reply.

In the output image provided, the object on the left is set to Closed Polygons & Polylines and the object on the rightis just Closed Polygons.

When flipped, there is no change to the object on the left, and the object on the right becomes a solid "coin" shape.

In both examples, Auto axis drill is checked.

:(

archijam
11-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Thy this:

Take the round shape to layer 1.

Take the objects inside to layer 2.

Check that they all look 'solid' on their own.

activate layer 1, with layer 2 as a black 'background' layer.

Use the drill (tunnel) command, make sure your drill axis is correct.

Extrude result.

j.

Smcrorey
11-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Hi archijam,

Whereas that method would definitely accomplish the results I'm looking for, I'm really looking to learn how to correctly use this particular method.

All pictures, objects, and references in this post are extremely basic simply so I could throw an example together real quick. The actual logo I'm looking to extrude is substantially more complicated than this one, but is yielding the same results.

It's driving me nuts that the newtek logo tutorial object works so perfectly and flawlessly, but when I try to replicate it, it comes out like this.

I can't help but wonder if there's something that I'm missing in the process to reveal the vector map in photoshop...

Also, in the origional post, when I said I export to AI9, I meant AI8. :)

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 02:38 AM
Hello Surrealist,

Thanks for the quick reply.

In the output image provided, the object on the left is set to Closed Polygons & Polylines and the object on the rightis just Closed Polygons.

When flipped, there is no change to the object on the left, and the object on the right becomes a solid "coin" shape.

In both examples, Auto axis drill is checked.

:(

OK so you have the basics covered.

The reason the image looks like it does on the left is because you have only extruded Polylines. This is why I never use it.

The image on the right does not look like anything I can come up with exactly, though the closest I could do was to unweld all the points and then extrude. So one last thing to check in LW would be if you might have to merge points.

On to Photoshop. What works for me every time is:

Magic wand to create selection.

File/Export/Paths to illustrator.

Creates a file with the .ai extention.

This works every time.

Object and .ai file (both very crude because of the low res jpeg I got from your upload).

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Correction: I left out Make Path From Selection in the Paths tab after Magic Wand selection.

meshpig
11-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Good so far

You've extruded it backwards that's all. Flip and decide what you want to do with the +4 sided polys.

m

Maxx
11-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Smcrorey - your best bet is to do the drilling on your own. The .eps Importer in modeler is rather cranky. Simply do as Archijam suggests and drill out the holes manually - it'll save you several headaches. Also, you said you're trying to learn how to correctly use this particular method - truly, disabling AutoAxis Drill is the correct way. LW gets easily confused with even moderately complex Illustrator paths.

WhiteBoy
11-30-2007, 04:41 AM
First and foremost, I'm sorry.

Please feel free to flame as long as you can help resolve the issue, and as long as it's funny.. I could use a laugh.

Let's all point and laugh at Smcrorey and his dumb question! :ohmy:

Seriously though, that's what these forums are for. There's no need to apologize for asking a question, especially since you've already tried to figure it out on your own. :)

Smcrorey
11-30-2007, 05:10 AM
:bowdown:

You all Rule.

Surrealist, I don't know what I was doing to make the vector mask so retarded, but I followed your method and it works great! It's a little persnickety with the more detailed logo, but I think I can work it.. Even if I can't you just made those little logos a whole lot easier on me. THANKS!!!!!!

The .eps Importer in modeler is rather cranky.

And HOW! :D

Really, thanks a mil folks! :D

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Glad you got it going. :)

Maxx has a good point. Whenever I want holes in a real complex object I do it in separate passes. You can set that up from photoshop and make two vectors then do a boolean operation - which in itself can be a tough one the more complex it gets but you can circumvent that by breaking up the solid part into smaller ngons with the Connect, Split, or Add Edges tool before you drill, stencil etc.