PDA

View Full Version : New Modeler Plug-in - HZ_NewProject

Hopper
11-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi guys,

I got tired of going into Layout everytime I wanted to have LightWave create my project directories, and I'm lazy, so I don't feel like creating them by hand (or batch file, etc..), so I made a plug-in for Modeler to do it for me. It's proven to be quite convenient to have around so far.

The plug-in is a fully functional dialog that gives lets you enter in your project directory, then select which directories you want in your project. I've also provided for 4 user defined directories.

It's a first draft and I have probably missed a few things, but I think it's a good start anyway.

It's convenient to use and I've provided a full README.txt file for installation/instructions, etc...

...and please remember, I had only seen LScript for about an hour before I started writing this, so if I missed the obvious, I'll get it next go round.

-Enjoy. feedback would be appreciated.

btw - If you don't know what the MD5.txt file is for, skip it - you don't need it (old programmer habit).

digefxgrp
11-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Thank you! Thank You!

I don't how many times I've started something in Modeler, had to stop what I was doing, launch Layout just to build a new project directory so I could keep everything tidy.

I've already used this plugin twice tonight.

It's you 3rd party guys that make LW so damn sweet.

kopperdrake
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
You can build a new project directory in Layout?

digefxgrp
11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
You can build a new project directory in Layout?
There are a couple of plugins/LScripts out there that run from within Layout.
I've always used "New_Project". It was an early script that I modified to create either a film or video-based project. I recall running across another that might have been more refined, but since what I had worked fine I've just stuck with that.

Now that there's HZ_NewProject, I'll primarily be using it as almost every one of my projects usually start out in Modeler.

theo
11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
In my main Lightwave Projects folder I keep several empty file hierarchies available at all times (copy/paste entire hierarchies).

When you save an object just select one of the empty file hierarchies. Upon exiting the save dialogue the first time make sure you name the top-level folder properly to avoid confusion and you're in business.

Why use Layout?

IMI
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
That's pretty cool, HopperZ, thanks. This will definitely come in handy. :)

Hopper
12-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm glad you guys like it. I'll probably make one or two more small revisions on the current version:

1. I forgot the Textures directory
2. Someone requested "Surfaces" be put on the Modeler tab instead of Layout.

Oh ... and I'll take out the surprise - random "cow" directory creation. :D I should have made the readme.txt example "Eagle\Barrel"

Hopper
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Ok, I was aksed to take out the "cow" directory thing and repost, so here it is. I included a couple of screenshots if your curious as to whether it would be useful to you or not before wasting time installing it.