PDA

View Full Version : Nudge Left / Right shortcut

JanDeVries
07-05-2003, 10:56 AM
eh, this probably a stupid question but is there or how to make a Nudge Left / Right / Up / Down keyboard shortcut in Lightwave like there is in Modeler?? I can't seem to find it...
Thanks,
Jan

toby
07-05-2003, 04:19 PM
no, but hold "shift+option" and you can click&drag to move around the scene in the perspective view, or just hold "option" for the ortho views

JanDeVries
07-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks! I was refering to moving objects in a scene with keyboard shortcuts. Sorry about making that not clear...

In LW scenes with a number of objects, I find it difficult, slow, to move / position objects with the mouse...
(Working with G4-500mp/1gb)

toby
07-06-2003, 12:23 AM
I didn't know you could nudge objects in modeller!?!?

also want to make sure you know about grid size, if you reduce it,( hit the "[" key) objects will move slower/shorter distances relative the mouse.

I have an idea! Have you ever used Lscript Commander? You can make any command (or combination) into an lscript, then a button, then a keyboard shortcut - you could move an object 10mm, and make it into a button

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 02:32 AM
to move objects in modeler use: option + left right up down arrow.

Have not used Lscript yet. How would that work?

J

toby
07-06-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by JanDeVries
to move objects in modeler use: option + left right up down arrow.

J

thanks! I figured it out - it's pretty cool, goes by how far zoomed in or out you are -

For the Lscript Commander, go to "Scene/generics/LSCommander"

Once it opens, move an object. You'll see a text command come up the bottom window of the Commader - drag that line of text to the top window (and any other commands you want) then hit "install" and give it a name. It puts a button under the Lscript tab, then hit opt-F9 to configure keys and find your button command under "plug-ins"

I realized that you'll need 6 buttons to do this tho! 2 for +/- on each of x,y,z - oh well, Lscript commander is so cool I just like finding uses for it

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 03:03 AM
i' ll give it a try! thanks again.

ps: hope LW will offer in future relase the same keystrokes as in modeler to move object...

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by toby

For the Lscript Commander, go to "Scene/generics/LSCommander"

I've tried it. Cool! This realy is great!
Thanks,
Jan

toby
07-06-2003, 03:19 AM
LW kicks booty don't it?!

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Absolutly Great!

But to go back to the start of this thread, is or should LW react sluggish when you move an object with the mouse while working on a G4500mp?
What machine do you work on? How does LW responsiveness feels?
J

toby
07-06-2003, 03:53 AM
oh! sorry, just thought you wanted to nudge -
Mine is a 450dp, so I know what video card you have - the ATI Rage 16mb (should be called the Age)

Agonizingly slow! you need a faster video card, which is somewhat limited for our vintage, we only have 2xAGP video. I upgraded to an Nvidia GeForce2 card, which you can't get new, it has to be one taken out of a later mac. I fonud it on ebay (there are always a few available) for 90 bucks - it's not as good as a current model, but way better than the Age.

ATI may have a more current card that works in our machines, but lots of people are having bad problems with ATI drivers in combination with OS 10.2.5 or 6 and LW 7.5c.

Turning off motion paths also helps with display speed.

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 04:02 AM
thanks again Toby for all the usefull info!
Jan

toby
07-06-2003, 04:09 AM
I take kickbacks :D

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 04:23 AM
That's fine with me :)
Enjoy ur sunday.
Jan

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Oeps, sorry to bother but how do you remove such a 'Lscript button'?
unassign-button still leaves the command name in the command list (layout > interface > edit menu: command list)

JanDeVries
07-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Ok, figured it out. (Found an old book for LW6)
J