PDA

View Full Version : Modeler Crash-bug/Firmware update?

JackDeL
07-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi all!

I just recently realized that there was a firmware update (4.2.8) on the 10.2 install cd. (duh) Needless to say that I failed to run that when I originally installed Jaguar. :eek:

I am now curious whether or not having this firmware update installed under OS 10.2.6 would have made any difference concerning the Modeler Crash Bug. I am using 10.2.4 and have installed the firmware but I'm not to sure it would be worth my time or my sanity to update to 10.2.6 just to see if Modeler still crashes! :D

How many of you using ATI cards with OS 10.2.5/6 and CURRENT firmware, are NOT having this crash?

Since we still haven't heard from anyone at Apple or ATI I'm just kinda grasping at straws here.

Ade
07-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Jack it is not our job to investigate this kinda crap, its time consuming and we need to get on with our work, its like we are doing the dirty work for Apple/ATI.
They need to get their freaking *** into gear, if not we need to pester them, or tell them we are dropping their cards, i have had enough.

I cannot install FCP4 because it wants 10.2.5. Maybe we all need to create a poll or petition with the same complaint?

Chuck what course of action do u recommend?

JackDeL
07-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Jack it is not our job to investigate this kinda crap, its time consuming and we need to get on with our work, its like we are doing the dirty work for Apple/ATI.
They need to get their freaking *** into gear, if not we need to pester them, or tell them we are dropping their cards, i have had enough.

Ade, I agree with you, seriously. I have e-mailed everyone I can think of with no response. :(

I just can't stand the idea that we are so easily shrugged off!:mad:

I think a petition is a good idea! heck, I'm at the point of storming the castle with torches and pitch forks!

(bangs head into wall repeatedly)

mlinde
07-06-2003, 10:17 AM
AFIK, the firmware was for specific models of G4 computers. Since a lot of the Modeler crashes aren't localized to G4 machines, I'd expect this isn't going to affect the problem at all. As far as installing firmware updates, I can't stress enough that you read up on other successes or failures before you do one. Apple has managed to release a couple doozies in the past...

JackDeL
07-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
AFIK, the firmware was for specific models of G4 computers. Since a lot of the Modeler crashes aren't localized to G4 machines, I'd expect this isn't going to affect the problem at all. As far as installing firmware updates, I can't stress enough that you read up on other successes or failures before you do one. Apple has managed to release a couple doozies in the past...

Yeah, I read up on it before I actually ran the firmware update. I haven't had any weirdness pop up since I install it so I'm not too worried about that. And as far as the Modeler crash, I wasn't putting to much hope in the firmware, I'm just going to stay with 10.2.4 until somebody gets off the stick!

or...maybe...I'll just take a trip over to good ole' E-bay and check out the prices of some Nvidia hardware...:p :p :p :p :p

claw
07-07-2003, 06:00 AM
This Radeon issue are giving me headache... Seriously, isn't there any thing Newtek could do with LW to get around this? Maybe a 7.5D update?

mlinde
07-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by claw
This Radeon issue are giving me headache... Seriously, isn't there any thing Newtek could do with LW to get around this? Maybe a 7.5D update?

Thinking more on this one, and I wouldn't be surprised if the problem really falls back to ATI again. With Apple claiming compliance with the OGL specifications, and NT claiming compliance with OGL specifications, that leaves ATi hardware possibly implementing those specifications improperly. ATi claims OGL support, but nowhere do you hear them talk about compliance with particular OGL releases or commands. And, given their haphazard Mac development, it wouldn't surprise me if they made errors in the card firmware that cause these issues, which would make it impossible for Apple to fix unless they took over firmware development for ATi/Mac cards as well.

paintboy
07-07-2003, 01:46 PM
ATI is famous for:
Vaporware...announcing superdooper whamo video
cards that are going to revolutionize the industry.....that dont show up till 6 months later? generally with performance woefully below what was stated.

AND,rotten drivers with piss poor OGL support that make you pull your hair out.
this is NOT a new thing(the old forum was full of "ATI card doesnt work" threads.

claw
07-07-2003, 02:57 PM
So what? It should work anyway since ATI still sells graphics-card for mac, and there's a radeon card in the top G5 model. Who want's to buy that G5 for heavy Lightwave work? Not me actually:)

JackDeL
07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
...and there's a radeon card in the top G5 model. Who want's to buy that G5 for heavy Lightwave work? Not me actually:)

Well the ATI Card in the G5 will at least have updated drivers, so as long a Newtek doesn't screw up OGL in LW 8 ;) there "SHOULDN'T" be any problems.

But, having said that; I'm not making any plans to buy a G5 until there is an Nvidia option.:D

claw
07-08-2003, 03:27 AM
I've been thinking about this some more.. How come it's just LW that freezes? All my other OpenGL apps are working great, maybe there are some problem with the LW code? I just say maybe here! We all know that LW is not a perfect port to Mac, so this could be just another bug.:confused:

JackDeL
07-08-2003, 08:09 AM
I didn't have the "Crash bug" until after updating to 10.2.5. I thought it was LW at first too, but I'm convinced that it is the ATI drivers because people here have reported no problems with the crash bug when using the Nvidia cards Under 10.2.5/6.

Anything is possible though. I wouldn't be surprised if the solution to the problem lay in all three camps, Apple, ATI & Newtek.:rolleyes:

mlinde
07-08-2003, 11:08 AM
I've been thinking about this some more.. How come it's just LW that freezes? All my other OpenGL apps are working great, maybe there are some problem with the LW code? I just say maybe here! We all know that LW is not a perfect port to Mac, so this could be just another bug.:confused:

Actually, it wasn't (and isn't) just lightwave. If you recall, an earlier 10.2.x release broke Maya. Apple is constantly tweaking their drivers (which should be a good thing) with each release, so they can easily introduce an error. As for all you other OGL apps, I'm curious about what you run on a mac with OGL? If you are talking about games, they barely touch the suite of OGL commands. If you are talking graphics software, what other 3D apps are running well with 10.2.5/10.2.6?

claw
07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Haven't tested Maya on OSX, but when I talk about other OpenGL apps, I meant stuff like games. Maybe you have right, that OpenGL are complex and lot can go wrong..