PDA

View Full Version : Installing 9.3.1 - Overwrites custom plugins

Matt
11-29-2007, 03:25 AM
I installed 9.3.1 to bring my default LightWave up to the latest released patch.

I didn't (as I normally would) move my custom plugin folders out of the install folder while patching, so I can't really complain too much.

Having said that, I thought it might be worth mentioning for others yet to install it ...

*BACKUP OR MOVE ANY CUSTOM PLUGINS OUT OF THE PLUGIN FOLDERS BEFORE INSTALLING*

It would be nice if these installers we're a little more intelligent in future. An update which unless I'm wrong should change only the files / folders it is updating.

I could understand if my custom plugins were all mingled up with the standard ones, but they are in their own folders inside 'Plugins' and 'Plugins->Lscript'.

The odd thing is, a couple of plugins survived, but most didn't, so it can't have just replaced the whole plugins folder (which I would understand).

Anyway, it's no big deal as I have it all backed up anyway, but a more intelligent installer wouldn't hurt!

Cheers
Matt

Verlon
11-29-2007, 05:49 AM
I keep my plugins in a separate directory anyway (with the rest of my 3d Content).

I have too many that would be too hard to find again....I had a mini preview when I switched to a USB dongle and had to contact all the owners....

BeeVee
11-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Has it been deleted, or rather that 9.3.1 installs in a different directory and you haven't copied the custom plug-ins there yet?

B

Matt
11-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I too keep my custom plugins in a separate directory, which looks like this:

Plugins:
- animate
- effect
- input-output
- legacy
- lscripts
- model
- texture
- useful-layout_P
- useful-modeler_P
- utility
- WTools

Inside lscripts:
- animate
- effect
- interface
- macros
- model
- texture
- useful-layout_LS
- useful-modeler_LS
- utility

The directory structure remained the same, but when I looked inside the 'useful-modeler_P' folder there was only one plugin! There should have been over 20!!!!

Could have been a freak occurrence because this has never happened with any of the previous updates.

I'd have to un-install and try it again to see.

Oh, and no new install directory, I told it to update the 9.3 install.