PDA

View Full Version : VT[5] bugs or my own fault?

Kevin Brice
11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I just received VT[5] last Monday and installed it the same day. Overall, I'm very impressed! The program as a whole seems much snappier, there's many nice little changes in the various modules, and LiveSet is downright amazing. However, I've been experiencing some issues over the last week and was wondering if anybody else was experiencing the same problems.

Downstream alpha support appears to be broken. I'm not talking about alpha when using SpeedEDIT with DSK on the switcher, either - I mean alpha support in general. I've been making name titles and other graphics in Inkscape for almost a year now, all the way back to VT[2]. I render out the titles as PNGs and then load them into a DDR. The titles looked perfect until I switched to VT[5], when the colors stopped matching. It looks like wherever I used whitish shades of translucent colors, VT drops the white part of it and makes it too dark. This appears everywhere in VT - DSK, CG, SpeedEDIT, and even the preview thumbnails in Filebin. A screenshot comparing VT[5]/SpeedEDIT VT and a VT[4] rendered AVI is attached. VT[5]'s incorrect rendering is on the left and VT[4]'s correct rendering is on the right.
CG Designer appears to overwrite random CG files from the history list when you click "Save" instead of saving in the correct file. It's done this to me every day this week. Anybody else seen this? It doesn't consistently happen, either.
I've the plugin installer twice now, but DVD Workshop refuses to recognize SpeedEDIT projects. I tried using the AVI wrapper instead and DVD Workshop hung. (the mouse pointer had the grayish washed-out hour glass next to it, which indicates to me that something to do with VT was stuck)
DDRs don't play sound immediately when they are paused and you click play or switch to them with "Cue In" enabled. Not as much of a problem since DDRs now play when they're not paused, but the DDRs still pause on the next item in the list when "Selection" is picked, meaning you either have to remember to click stop or lose sound when you switch back.
"Selection" isn't properly respected in DDRs, but *only* when the DDR is on Main and "Cue In" is enabled. When it's on Main with "Cue In" enabled, it continues to the next item in the list instead of staying on the last frame of the current item. I've had it both play the next item and freeze on the first frame of the next item (right now I can only get it to freeze on the next item). Perhaps some check for whether or not the DDR should be playing is failing due to a bug in the new behavior of "Cue In."
The VT[5] hardware driver with the old VT33 card silently crashes if you accidentally put three different live sources on the three Switcher buses. VT itself doesn't crash - it's just that VT Vision goes dark and monitors freeze on whatever frame you had been sending out before the driver crashed. While the interface still responds, VT refuses to exit cleanly when this happens.

That's everything I can remember at the moment. Has anybody else had any of these problems? I was thinking of submitting a bug report, but I didn't want to submit a bug report if it was something I'd screwed up on my machine. Also, is there any way of checking to see if those issues have already been reported like on the Mozilla Bugzilla? I don't want to submit duplicate reports and create more work for somebody. Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot the attachment.

ScorpioProd
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Definately submit bug reports, John Perkins wants to sort them out, realize, different people can sometimes hit different problems depending on their style of use and particular hardware.

As for loading projects into DVD Workshop, I wasn't aware there was a VTP loader for that program with VT[5]. I know there was for VT[4], but I did not hear that mentioned in VT[5], are you sure it is claimed to be there?

I only know of a VTP loader for TMPGEnc and the generic AVI Wrapper for everything else.

Kevin Brice
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Definately submit bug reports, John Perkins wants to sort them out, realize, different people can sometimes hit different problems depending on their style of use and particular hardware.

As for loading projects into DVD Workshop, I wasn't aware there was a VTP loader for that program with VT[5]. I know there was for VT[4], but I did not hear that mentioned in VT[5], are you sure it is claimed to be there?

I only know of a VTP loader for TMPGEnc and the generic AVI Wrapper for everything else.

Alright, I'll report those. I'm still curious about whether or not anybody else can reproduce them, though. :)

The plugin installer claimed it was installing a plugin for DVD Workshop, so I assumed it was still there. Why would they remove it, anyways? Wouldn't that be considered a feature regression? That said, I haven't seen it be claimed that it's present anywhere (not that I've looked very hard).

Kevin Brice
11-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Alright, I'll report those. I'm still curious about whether or not anybody else can reproduce them, though. :)

The plugin installer claimed it was installing a plugin for DVD Workshop, so I assumed it was still there. Why would they remove it, anyways? Wouldn't that be considered a feature regression? That said, I haven't seen it be claimed that it's present anywhere (not that I've looked very hard).
Alright, I would submit bug reports, but I can't get the FogBugz form to submit! Firefox keeps saying "The connection was reset," while IE throws an HTTP 500/Internal Server Error page. :stumped:

chan1pro
12-01-2007, 11:43 AM
1. How do you remove one field to remove motion on the new VT 5 still capture feature? (Shift + Ctrl + M) I have looked in the Preferences panel. Manual Shows it should be there.
2. I have a 1 sec lag in SE when I want to stop the video with space bar. Ot use to stop instantly TED.
3. Output monitor sometimes will not display video properly or not at all. I have to reset configuration, and reboot computer.
4. Spline’s are sometime intermittent for overlays (You set the first spline but will not release the when the time line is moved. (The white dot stays lit)

The computer is a dual Xeon 3.06 Super Micro with 2 gigs of ram. Your help & Opinion is truly appreciated.

CreatvGnius
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
truncated and edited:

2. I have a 1 sec lag in SE when I want to stop the video with space bar. [With VT4, it used to] stop instantly within TED.
3. Output monitor sometimes will not display video properly [if] at all. I have to reset configuration, and reboot computer.
4. For Overlays, [Spline-setting operation sometimes get "stuck"] -- You set the first spline but [SE-VT] will not release the [spline selection] when the time line is moved. (The white dot stays lit)

The computer is a dual Xeon 3.06 Super Micro with 2 gigs of ram. Your help & Opinion is truly appreciated.

While I have no hard and fast suggestions for you Chan, I would seriously recommend that you

investigate whether you have downloaded and installed the very latest driver(s) for your graphics card
be sure you installed VT[5] in a "fresh" state -- (You didn't install it over VT[4], hopefully)
You do not have an excessively fragmented system drive, right? (defragment after VT[4] removal, then install VT[5] is a good progression, I think).

One additional insight: For whatever it's worth, your issue with point 2 above is exactly what I've seen with the TriCaster STUDIO™ Edit Media timeline playback behavior: When playing a clip, hit spacebar to pause, and it's a delayed pause.

That said, having been a spoiled VT[4] user and evangelist, yet becoming more fluent with cutting on TriCaster STUDIO™, I've now stopped using the spacebar for precise pause/start of timeline playback, opting instead to rest my finger over the "K" key, as that always nails it.

Indeed, VT-EDIT (a.k.a. "TED") within VT[4] had me spoiled for its excellent responsiveness in edit line pause/start operations with spacebar.

I'm risking the possibility I haven't given you any "new" info to be really helpful, but who knows -- perhaps a newer graphics driver release is available and pulls you out of the mud. Let us know how things go with you?
-PeterG

chan1pro
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Peter, I have down loaded the latest drivers, it was the first thing I did. I have removed all temp files, Scan Disk, and defragged all of the drives. I never had these problems with Toster 4.6 Thanks anyway, Julian

CreatvGnius
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Peter, I have down loaded the latest drivers, it was the first thing I did. I have removed all temp files, Scan Disk, and defragged all of the drives. I never had these problems with Toster 4.6 Thanks anyway, Julian

Oh, OK, Julian. Then too, I just came across this from Dr. Cross (from another thread)...

You will be able to install VT[5] [best] on a clean machine [i.e., a new install of the OS]; infact that is how I would recommend that it is installed, really.

Hope you get a fix quickly.
-PeterG

chan1pro
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by across
"You will be able to install VT[5] [best] on a clean machine [i.e., a new install of the OS]; infact that is how I would recommend that it is installed, really."

I was one of the first ones to ask that question and did a fresh install, I also made sure clean all files and defragged the computer prior to install. Julian

Scott Bates
12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
The Play/Pause/Stop delay seems to be common, I have it here as do others.

CreatvGnius
12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by across
"You will be able to install VT[5] [best] on a clean machine [i.e., a new install of the OS]; infact that is how I would recommend that it is installed, really."

I was one of the first ones to ask that question and did a fresh install, I also made sure clean all files and defragged the computer prior to install. Julian

Well, before I'm off to bed, thought I'd suggest you try fiddling with some gadgets within PREFERENCES -- or within your graphics card custom panel -- that you suspect might happen to improve your graphics performance. Just a thought based solely on my crude, underdeveloped intuition.

Don't give up.
-PeterG

ScorpioProd
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
The Play/Pause/Stop delay seems to be common, I have it here as do others.
There was a whole thread devoted to this specific problem back at the SpeedEDIT 1.2 point as I recall...

Rich Deustachio
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Peter are you saying you don't get the lag when stopping SE timeline with the spacebar? I do get the lag when using the spacebar to stop the SE playback but if click on the pause button it stops immediately.

I have read many others having this same issue and yes I do have the latest drivers

CreatvGnius
12-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Peter are you saying you don't get the lag when stopping SE timeline with the spacebar? I do get the lag when using the spacebar to stop the SE playback but if click on the pause button it stops immediately.

I have read many others having this same issue and yes I do have the latest drivers

Now Rich, you've got me on this one: It so happens that right *now* when I employ the "K" key for stopping playback of the "edit line" within the TriCaster STUDIO™ editor (that's the platform I was referring to), I'm also getting a delay *there*.

Apparently, there are times I do, and there are times I don't get a delay when using the "k" shortcut for pause/start. Hmmm...:question:

Peter