PDA

View Full Version : booleen crash

matt512
11-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi I am tring to make a model of a #1 when I import my text from Illustrator, saving it as ver 8, the inside of the # dosn't subtract out the inside. So I am trying to booleen out the inside with the geomitry that is there. I put the inside on another layer extrude both pieces and try to booleen out the inside. It crashes everytime.
Thanks
Matt

JeffrySG
11-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Matt, sometimes I find that it helps if I connect some of the points to make some of the n-gons less severe on the object I'm trying to subtract from. So maybe try connecting some of the the inside points of the outer shape of the '#' before the boolean operation. The default key for connect is the lowercase L key. If that doesn't work, try to post a image and we can draw on top of it some suggestions....

Jeff

ps. that keyboard key is the command in v9, not sure if it is the same in v8...

matt512
11-28-2007, 10:35 AM
So I got it to work but not with using the connect. I don't quite get how you are supposed to connect the polys acrossed 2 differnt layers to booleen. Since the inside was just a box I recreated it in the modeler and booleened it and it worked. I don't understand why it would not work with the imported vectors. I could understand it having problems if the shape was complex but it is just 4 points. Is there a plug in that imports vectors better than what comes with LightWave?
Thanks

JeffrySG
11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
no you don't connect the polys you connect points. and not across layers. sometimes i find boolians work better on objects with less n-gons. so you use the connect operation to eliminate the n-gons.

it sounds like there might have been some errors with the part of the object you were trying to subtract. maybe it wasn't completely solid...

Silkrooster
11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Is there a reason why you are bringing the text in from illustrator instead of using the text tool in lightwave?
Silk

matt512
11-29-2007, 08:05 AM
I need to make the text in Illustrator because I am modifing the bottom of the 1 and I needed to make a raised outside border. I would love to know how to modify the vectors in Lightwave but it dosn't seem to like vectors much. I found off setting the path in Illustrator was easier.

Silkrooster
11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Any object you bring in from illustrator will be a flat 2d object. It is natural to find things easier using a program you know. However to create a true 3d raised edge it has to be done in a 3d program like lightwave.
Why don't you post a screen grab from illustrator of how the raised edge should look. Then one of us will show you how to create the same thing in lightwave.
Silk

matt512
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Now I have to state that I did get this to work. But, I want to learn if there are some hidden ways to edit vectors in lightwave. I want to find if there are tools like offset, outline, chamfer. A way to rail extrude or loft an object and then be able to modify it from the vectors afterwards would be great. I am comming from 3ds and having a hard time getting used to all the work arounds and limitations. I suppose if I were a scripting genuise this would help.

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 02:56 PM
It depends on what you want to do specifically. There is the Morph Polygon tool, Skin tool, Rail Extrude, Mutiple Rail Extrude,Spline Patching, Metaphorm Subdivision, Subpatch Modeling to give you just a few things to look at. A great translate tool is Translate Plus which allows you to pick a vector and move, scale and rotate, along that. The Multishift tool is also very handy for some things. The best thing is too either a) read the entire manual or b) come here with project-specific advice. Or, well, both. :)

matt512
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the list. It gives me a place to start researching. I wish the manuel was organized by kinds of tasks. I know that would be a strech because I don't think that I have ever seen any manuel organized that way.

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Yep. I agree. I think that would be a great way to orginize it and I have been thinking along those lines a lot lately. Just a matter of time really. If you take a look at my tutorial on subpatches that will give you lists of a few other tools and techniques to get familiar with. Lacking what I think we both agree would be a great resource, in the mean time do lots of tutorials, ask questions and model a lot. Last but not least, read the modeler manual cover to cover.