PDA

View Full Version : Well XSI said I should ask Newtek ...

Digital Hermit
11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
New Renderers
With XSI 6, Softimage opened up the XSI rendering API, and we've seen an enthusiastic response from our growing community of 3rd-party developers.

XSI has long been known for its unmatched rendering workflow and deep integration of the award-winning mental ray renderer. And while mental ray, remains the core XSI renderer, our rendering technology partners are taking advantage of our open rendering API to develop and integrate their respective render engines into XSI with similar depth and control.

For more information, ask your favorite rendering technology provider about their plans for SOFTIMAGE|XSI integration

Ok... so I am askin... is this akin to the LW integration in Photoshop CS3?

Of course am very ignorant of the scope of this... but man that would be LOVE to have the ease of LW's rendering features integrated... cuz' I am not a fan of mental ray.

If these two companies were to ever merge... I know, not gonna happen... but I can dream can't I :heart:

RedBull
11-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok... so I am askin... is this akin to the LW integration in Photoshop CS3?

Of course am very ignorant of the scope of this... but man that would be LOVE to have the ease of LW's rendering features integrated... cuz' I am not a fan of mental ray.

If these two companies were to ever merge... I know, not gonna happen... but I can dream can't I :heart:

Obviously the answer is no, but feel free to dream...
XSI has opened up it's renderer API to allow other rendering engines, NextLimit's Maxwell render, Fry Render, Indigo, Renderman, Affogato are all now open rendering engines inside of XSI.

At the moment XSI and LW co-exist really well and with point oven, it allows animating in XSI and rendering inside LW, so really not much to done from LW's perspective and XSI. It's unlikely to ever see MR in LW..

StereoMike
11-28-2007, 02:25 AM
It's unlikely to ever see MR in LW..
I guess his post was about seeing LW render technology in XSI.
Which would be great, cause I have a strong dislike towards MR and Mental Images.

mike

jabranbaig
11-29-2007, 04:30 AM
me to dosent like mr and mr images

-EsHrA-
11-29-2007, 05:13 AM
me like mr.

lw cannot compete with mr.

sadly.

so i say, having options rules, lets hope nt figures this out too.

mlon

Digital Hermit
11-29-2007, 06:33 AM
I guess his post was about seeing LW render technology in XSI.
Which would be great, cause I have a strong dislike towards MR and Mental Images.

mike

Yeah, I guess "his" post was about that. :neener:

Exception
11-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Yes it can.
I'm doing quite fine with it, against multiple MR and Vray houses with many more employees and a lot less quality.

Again and again it needs to be said, it is not the tool, it is the artist. Added to that is that if the tool is really bad it will make jagged edges. LW's render engine is not bad, it's great in many ways, and in terms of speed, quality, ease of setup, flexibility and extendability I have yet to find its match. It could stad improvement in some departments, but what can't?

StereoMike
11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Amen.

RedBull
11-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I guess "his" post was about that. :neener:

And my answer was direct and to the point....
"Obviously the answer is no, but feel free to dream..."

juanjgon
11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes it can.
I'm doing quite fine with it, against multiple MR and Vray houses with many more employees and a lot less quality.

Again and again it needs to be said, it is not the tool, it is the artist. Added to that is that if the tool is really bad it will make jagged edges. LW's render engine is not bad, it's great in many ways, and in terms of speed, quality, ease of setup, flexibility and extendability I have yet to find its match. It could stad improvement in some departments, but what can't?

I really agree ... artist is 90%, render engine only 10% ... at least i think this :)

kopperdrake
11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm gobsmacked with LW's rendering engine at the moment, I know we're probably missing stuff but for me the radiosity is a huge timesaver. Kudos for the coders for their work on that area :thumbsup:

Digital Hermit
11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
And my answer was direct and to the point....
"Obviously the answer is no, but feel free to dream..."

Hey, Jiminy Cricket said my dreams could come true... Come on RB wish upon that star with me - heh :D

toby
11-30-2007, 11:10 PM

mr's motion blur is a pathetic joke compared to lw's.

jabranbaig
11-30-2007, 11:39 PM
XSI maya 3ds max same name one App Okk no question