PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to harness C4: Detonate's destructive power?

THREEL
11-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I've already used C4: Destruct to break my object into pieces. Now I want to use C4: Detonate to explode these object pieces all around. The only problem is, the pieces are leaving the screen wayyyy to quickly. Is there any way to spread the carnage over several frames, instead of just one?

tHANX for all help in advance!

evolross
11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Wow, you got C4 working? What version of Lightwave are you using? I tried to get C4: Destruct working in 9.3 and didn't have any luck.

THREEL
11-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow, you got C4 working? What version of Lightwave are you using? I tried to get C4: Destruct working in 9.3 and didn't have any luck.

:lwicon: 8.5. If you don't know already, Destruct is used in Modeler to make pieces out of your object. Detonate is used in Layout to actually explode your object.

If your having problems getting it to split your object into pieces in Modeler, it may be because your are in subpatch mode. I learned that the hard way. If your object is subpatched, just freeze it before you run Destruct on it.

BTW--Are you a Buckeyes fan?

Fizzer
11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
In the C4 Properties of the object you are blowing up, try the following settings:

In Explosion lower Power to about 1.5
Adjust Duration to about 15

In Fragments adjust Vertical and Horizontal Attenuation to suit

Hope that helps a little!

THREEL
12-01-2007, 11:01 PM
In the C4 Properties of the object you are blowing up, try the following settings:

In Explosion lower Power to about 1.5
Adjust Duration to about 15

In Fragments adjust Vertical and Horizontal Attenuation to suit

Hope that helps a little!

tHANX for the advice Fizzer, but these settings still only give me about 3 frames. I'd like to have at least 30 frames of pieces flying everywhere.

Back to the drawing board.

Fizzer
12-02-2007, 02:59 AM
I have attached a scene for you to look at and reverse engineer.

THREEL
12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I have attached a scene for you to look at and reverse engineer.

tHANX Fizzer, but could you send this to me as a regular zip file? I just have the Compressor/decompressor software that came with Windows XP. Also, I'm running :lwicon: 8.5, just in case you set this up in 9.x. If it is 9.0 or above, can you set it up for pre-9.x :lwicon:.

tHANX for your help!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

Fizzer
12-04-2007, 08:23 AM
tHANX Fizzer, but could you send this to me as a regular zip file? I just have the Compressor/decompressor software that came with Windows XP. Also, I'm running :lwicon: 8.5, just in case you set this up in 9.x. If it is 9.0 or above, can you set it up for pre-9.x :lwicon:.

tHANX for your help!

Here you go. Happy to help

THREEL
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Fizzer!

I could open the object files, but I couldn't open the scene file. In fact, it didn't even come up as a lws extension. I'm not sure what that's all about.

Also, there was some kind of surface on the hammer that would not load.

do you have fixes for theses?

tHANX again!

AL

Fizzer
12-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Hi Fizzer!

I could open the object files, but I couldn't open the scene file. In fact, it didn't even come up as a lws extension. I'm not sure what that's all about.

Also, there was some kind of surface on the hammer that would not load.

do you have fixes for theses?

tHANX again!

AL

Sorry! Forgot to mention it is a LW8.5 Scene File. Opens OK here. You don`t need the texture for the hammer. You just need to look at the C4 settings for the main object. Will give you an idea how to keep your object on screen for the desired length of time.

munky
12-06-2007, 08:49 AM

Hi There,

If you go to the reincarnation of LWG3d which is now http://www.foundation3d.com

you will find a new Beta version of C4 Destruct in the plugin downloads section which is for LW 9.x (windows only though)

Threel why are you not using lightwaves dynamics to blow your object up?

regards

Paul

THREEL
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Threel why are you not using lightwaves dynamics to blow your object up?

Paul: I am. I just wanted to try C4: Detonate to see if I could get any different (better) results. My problem that I'm having with :lwicon: Dynamics is this: I have 2 football helmets coming together that shatter when they collide. I have made collision object spheres that are parented to each helmet. One helmet has a longer facemask than the other. As they collide with each other, they shatter pretty good, but the bottom of the longer facemask just shears off and continues to travel in a straight line. If I increase the size of the collision objects to encase each entire helmet, then the shattering starts too soon.

If I use the objects themselves as collision objects, it just freezes Layout.

The other problem I have with the Dynamics is the shattered helmet pieces just go so far into space and then float there. I want them to completely leave camera view. With C4: Detonate the pieces fly completely off the screen, but I can't seem to get the effect to last for more than 2 or 3 frames.

Just trying to find my best option.

tHANX!

AL

munky
12-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi Threel,

I only asked out of curiosity and you are right it's always good to have options.

You might find something helpful over at the spinquad Dynamics index,

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695

regards

Paul

bagou01
12-11-2007, 03:48 AM
hi i tryed too but can't manage to ahve it working,i get that error message with destruct in modeler : "shattering failed during physical properties application.add small offset to the data and retry"..
any idea?

THREEL
12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
hi i tryed too but can't manage to ahve it working,i get that error message with destruct in modeler : "shattering failed during physical properties application.add small offset to the data and retry"..
any idea?

Hi bagou01!

For one thing, it won't work if your model is just subpatched. If it is just freeze it. That gives you more polygons to work with. Once you freeze it, don't subpatch it again, or you'll be right back where you started from. Also, when you use Destruct don't go crazy with the amount of separate pieces that you end up making, or it could cause Modeler to crash.

Hope this helps!

bagou01
12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
my object is not subpatched (it is when i click tab right?)
and i leave the settings to default but though it won't work

evolross
12-11-2007, 01:02 PM
BTW--Are you a Buckeyes fan?

No. I'm not a football fan. I am a college basketball fan, specifically Wright State University which is in Dayton, Ohio. Last year, they entered the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament from the Horizon Conference. They finished first place in their conference and won their conference tournament. There's another Division I school here called the University of Dayton.

If you go to the reincarnation of LWG3d which is now http://www.foundation3d.com

you will find a new Beta version of C4 Destruct in the plugin downloads section which is for LW 9.x (windows only though)

Thanks I'll have to try this out. I found something called Smash It I think that's okay. Thanks for the tip.

THREEL
12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
my object is not subpatched (it is when i click tab right?)
and i leave the settings to default but though it won't work

What version of :lwicon: are you using? I'm on 8.5. Send me your lwo file that I can open in 8.5 and I'll see if I can shatter it for you. You'll still have to figure out how to Detonate it in Layout. I haven't had a whole lot of success with that, yet.

No. I'm not a football fan. I am a college basketball fan, specifically Wright State University which is in Dayton, Ohio. Last year, they entered the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament from the Horizon Conference. They finished first place in their conference and won their conference tournament. There's another Division I school here called the University of Dayton.

I like the Buckeyes in B-ball too. They had a killer team last year, until Florida. Darn it!!! Almost all of the starters from last year's team went pro. I have a niece that went to Wright State. I have some relatives (in-laws) that live in the Greater Dayton area as well. The state of Ohio usually does pretty well in NCAA B-ball. OSU, UD, Xavier, University of Cincinnati.

evolross
12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I like the Buckeyes in B-ball too. They had a killer team last year, until Florida. Darn it!!! Almost all of the starters from last year's team went pro. I have a niece that went to Wright State. I have some relatives (in-laws) that live in the Greater Dayton area as well. The state of Ohio usually does pretty well in NCAA B-ball. OSU, UD, Xavier, University of Cincinnati.

Right on. Yeah, whenever someone says "Are you a Buckeyes fan?", we Ohioans assume football is meant. The state is plagued by thousands of annoying OSU football fans. People who have no concept of football, loyalty, or what it is to be a fan, but obnoxiously root and brag because OSU football is so successful.

And let's not forget about Wright State on that list of Ohio NCAA basketball. Of the teams you listed, only OSU and Xavier made it to the tournament. Wright State and Miami (Oxford, Ohio) also made it.

THREEL
12-13-2007, 09:46 PM
And let's not forget about Wright State on that list of Ohio NCAA basketball. Of the teams you listed, only OSU and Xavier made it to the tournament. Wright State and Miami (Oxford, Ohio) also made it.

Wright State and Miami, too. Sorry, I forgot about them. My bad. :rolleyes: Every once in a while, you can throw the University of Toledo and BGSU in that list as well.

MSherak
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Has anyone played with the new beta for C4?? I'm still waiting my days hoping that I can get it..

:bangwall: :sleeping: :screwy:

munky
02-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Hello,

I think this might be what you are after!

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=82

regards

Paul

bagou01
02-21-2008, 02:19 AM
need to be an active member of foundation3D to download that...

beverins
03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
You know, might be nice if this version of C4 was more widely advertised...

dballesg
05-28-2008, 05:08 AM
Opss

Thanks for pointing out about that new version for 9.0 :) Didin't know it was there.

David