PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a high-end 24/96 sound card?

Tom Wood
07-05-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm just asking as a matter of curiosity, to see if the computer gods have singled me out for their fun. And I realize that "high-end" is all relative. Is anyone else successfully using any of the cards in the "excellent" section of this ratings page, for example:

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/compare/index.htm

Using it installed in the same PC that the Toaster card lives, that is.

Thanks,

TW

(For a little background, see the 'VT2 locks out CardDeluxe audio card?' thread in the 'VT - Troubleshooter' forum.)

Faraz
07-05-2003, 08:42 AM
You're aware that these card will only work in Windows and Speed Razor. It won't work with VT modules. EX. TED.

Tom Wood
07-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Yes, I am now well aware that these cards won't work within the Toaster desktop environment. I'm trying to figure out if they should work in the -physical- environment of the same PC with the Toaster card, but without -any- part of the Toaster program operating. At present, mine won't and I'm trying to determine if other people are able to use these cards in the same PC that has a VT card, but not from within VT.

TW

SBowie
07-06-2003, 12:29 PM
I have certainly used the LynxOne, and so have numerous others. I'm sure I've seen someone posting about using the Lynx Two as well. Another card some have used is from Antec (I didn't check to see if it's on your list.)

PIZAZZ
07-06-2003, 03:52 PM
I have an Aardvark Q10 in the same machine as the Toaster and have no conflicts to speak of.

I use CoolEdit2.0 with it. Of course not at the same time as I use Toaster.

vip3dran
07-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Tom,

After reading your previous post, noticed you mentioned that your audio card will not work from the Windows environment (meaning outside of the Toaster), with or without the Toaster software running.

Here's something to try - but I'm not completely sure if it will work for you. Even though you aren't running any Toaster Software, there is still something running that 'hooks' the Toaster to work with programs from Windows. -----> Winrtme

There's a utility called "KillWinrtme" in your programs folder under VideoToaster/Utilities. Or you could kill it from Task Manager/Processes.

Pete Draves
07-30-2003, 06:16 PM
In your audio preferences set your card as the system card
all programs using system audio will use the card and toaster will still use the toaster audio.

Both will work with their respective programs and you do not have to switch between them.
Pete

RayLarson
07-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Peter, can you be more specific?? I would love to have this configuration. Where are the audio prefs you talk about??

Pete Draves
07-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Go to "Start" "Settings" "Control Panel"

Select Sounds and multimedia
Select the "Audio" Tab

Select the settings for your card

With the first tab "Sounds" you can turn off all of the os sounds
with the scheme "no sounds"

The toaster will continue to play all of its' sound from the toaster

If you want streaming in to the toaster
that can be configured in the toaster config menu

Pete

RayLarson
07-31-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks Pete,

On my system, only the toaster audio shows in this screen. Mine was a dealer built system.. any additional help would be appreciated

Pete Draves
07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
When you install the drivers for your external audio card the should show in the window when you open the selector to choose. You may have to unselect the box to use only the chosen driver

Pete

James Davis
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
You might want to check the Audio app as well to see if there is a preference setting to choose the wave device. I use both N-track and Sound Forge. Both had a place to set the wave device.

Jim Davis
DVS Direct