PDA

View Full Version : Car rig Expression PB

Samus
11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

I'm actually rigging a car and i'm trying to use the Hidden lightwave Power
that is expressions (in my case). I've used Relativity to drive wheels to role when the car moves. Now i'm trying to have the car body slightly pitch forward or backwards when the car accelerate or slows down.

My idea was to use te car Z position to drive a lag in the pitch of the carbody but the expression will not bring the body of the car to it's initial position once the car stops.My theory is to link the pich to the velocity of the car, My question: How? Note that i'm a Newbie when it comes to Expressions. (ill check the toon car rig in Lw content for tips)

Thank's to anyone who can help.

Sam

Dodgy
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
It should be linked to the acceleration of the car. That way as the car slows down, it tips forward etc.

Samus
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Dodgy,

That's the idea but i do not know how to wright such an expression.
Got the theory but not the tipping. Could you show me and explain.

Thanx

Sam

othornton
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
With all the problems of animating a car I would honestly suggest just keyframing the body of the car by hand. Unless you're animating an entire fleet of cars screesching to a stop, you may find that linking the body directly to the velocity of the car will mean that the body leans every single time the car moves, even if its slow.

I love expressions, but just because you can automate something, doesn't always mean you should.

Ztreem
11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I often use Dodgys plugin springythingy to simulate the suspension of the car. Look at his site, it's in his sig.

Samus
11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I was going for a none plugin rig but it seems that ill have to.

BeeVee
11-28-2007, 01:45 AM
The wolfcar scene in the LightWave [8] content shows exactly what you want and just uses expressions.

B

Phil
11-28-2007, 08:13 AM
It's times like this when I want to point to the (far superior) HTML docs for Relativity. Except NewTek haven't managed to upload the archive I sent them over 6 months ago to register.newtek.com. *sigh*

The HTML docs put everything at your finger tips. Ben - any chance that NewTek Europe could once more ride to the rescue of the suffering LW userbase by doing something in an afternoon that NewTek US cannot organise in over half a year?

Phil
11-28-2007, 08:18 AM
And here are the docs.

Samus
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the doc.

Ive seen this video on C4d Car rig, i was wondering if i could do this in lightwave.I'm sure i could but the expression side is something i cannot pass.Here is what i'm talking about:

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ulx2k9ovq8U

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=czQJ6MjnmHo

Thanks for pitching in. Dodgy's plugin works Great for the car wiggling when breaking.