PDA

View Full Version : First Demo Reel

othornton
11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi guys,

Well, I finally finished the first draft of my first demo reel and have posted it to my website at www.OT3D.com (http://www.OT3D.com). I've already spotted about half a dozen things to fix and apparently lack the computing power to do half the things I wanted, but I needed to finish a draft this week (last Friday really, but with the holiday...). Truly a frustrating experience. Enjoy!

-Oliver Thornton

Sande
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
For some reason your site comes out very very small in my browser. Just a couple hundred pixels wide I guess and the text is so small it isn't even readable... Probably something doesn't work right?

I'm using Camino (Firefox port on OSX) btw.

borkus
11-26-2007, 10:48 AM
same here on firefox 2.1. i did get the movie running and that looked nice. but it was really small

Andyjaggy
11-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Looks like your flash publishing options are jacked up.

othornton
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Should be working now (I hope).
I've tried several other computers than the one I built it on and it works fine so far...

-Oliver

Tiger
11-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Works fine here!

I liked it all, except the music.
It was horrible and doesn't fit your demo at all.
It really deserves something much better.
Something that make a client relax :)

Great work otherwise! :thumbsup:

/Thiger

ericsmith
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I totally disagree with Tiger about the music, I think it's a cool song with good energy. But the fact is, the music is moot when it comes to actually getting work from you reel.

I think your modeling is decent, although a bit rough around the edges, and could use more detail. The tank, for example, seems to simplistic. If you went in and really detailed it, both with geometry and texture, it will make for a more impressive show of talent.

But here's the hard part...

You should probably stick to turntables of your models. You could put the characters into a few good poses, but the animation isn't working, and ultimately, brings down the entire reel. It also probably wouldn't hurt to slow down the spins, and let the viewer get a good look at the work.

Eric

Titus
11-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Nice demo. I agree about the character animation, isn't really good and diminish in some degree the impression of your skills. The rigging of the vehicles is good, try to draw more attention of your strenghts, and get rid of the animation until you can improve it or maybe get someone who animates the character for you, just give him the credit.

othornton
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback! As I said, this is a first draft. I'm not so much aiming to satisfy what I know are the industry standards for modeling reels, but the bizarre demands placed on me by my degree program.

Up until 10 weeks ago I was designing a modeling reel with my models posed dynamically in 360 rotations. It was at that point that my instructors decided that all my models had to be animated to move somewhat realistically. So instead of spending the last quarter polishing textures I have had to re-rig and animate all 4 models.

Unfortunately I was in the middle of a project using Maya NURBS to simulate real muscle deformation with one of them, so I had to finish it up somewhat prematurely to get frames rendered in time for the deadline.

What I have since discovered is that my school bases its degree requirements on two things:
1) It's an animation degree, so even if you made Dean's List on all 2D and 3D animation classes you have to have animation in your final reel.
2) They design their student reels for local employers here in Atlanta, who number only about half a dozen studios or so and have apparently impressed upon the school that they only want to hire animators.

Anyway, griping about being bushwhacked by my school aside, I agree with you all. The music is not the best I could have chosen, I plan to replace it or at the least drop the levels way down.

The tank is very very rough and up until render time was entirely sub-D with the idea being that I would detail it in ZB and bake out normal and displacement maps. Problem was that even without normal or displacement maps when I went to render it LW would crash like a drunk pop-star. Freezing the polys was my only option so I could strip out detail where it didn't matter, but even that is difficult in LW without destroying UVs.

The car I think I am happiest with, but I goofed and got the APS settings reversed in a way that didn't show up in my test renders. So instead of polys ramping up in sub-D when approaching the camera, they ramp down. *sigh* So yes, when the car is all close and blocky, you're seeing the base mesh.

I won't even touch the subject of the animation.... I'm just glad the meshes aren't spiking all over the place right now.

Keep the feedback coming!

Big thanks to Lernie Ang and his Maya2LW scripts, truly a life-saver.

-Oliver Thornton