PDA

View Full Version : Cylindrical modeling questions? *noob*

tcvivrant
11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

I wasnt sure if this was the right place to post this, however, i just started workin on lightwave 3d 9.2 and i have gigs and gigs of tutorials an manuals. however, the one thing i am tryin to do i cant seem to find apt enough help with. i am trying to model a glass bottle with a distinct shape, kind of like a semi-circle extruded. the thing is when i use the blue print i drew in illustrator, the bottle is hollow. i have tried so many times and i cant seem to get it right. i'd i appreciate if some one could just kind of tell me what would work best to achieve my end result like:

- how to get the wire mesh to fill the whole thing in and out
- which blueprint to use in which viewpoint
- and therefore on which axis would i extrude my bottle
- also some basic settings on how to surface the glass to look like it has water in it.

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance y'all may give.

Hopper
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
This will get you started. This is an older tut for 7.5, but the methodology and explanation still applies:

http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWPacks/LWGlass/LWGlass-1.html

With 9.x the "better" way to do it would be with the Node editor, but if you are just starting (like me), it really is a good idea to practice things on a simpler level to understand the concepts behind the more advanced tools.

Google "lightwave glass" etc.. for more articles, tutorials, etc...

I would also suggest that you invest in some books if you haven't already:

Essential Lightwave v9 - Steve Warner
Lightwave v9 Texturing - Angel Nieves
Lightwave v9 Lighting - Nicholas Boughen
Lightwave v9 - Dan Ablan

There are others, but these are what I started with and are all exceptional books. Several gigs of tutorials are nice for reference, but a cohesive flow of instruction works best IMO. Steve's book alone will answer every question you have posed here.

Hopper
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
...and as for your bottle issue. I would go about it by either creating a curve (i.e. Spline, Bezier, etc..) in the Front or Back view that represents the front "profile" of your bottle, then using the Lathe tool to create a perfectly round bottle first. Then remove or manipulate the geometry to get the shape you want. (Note: Click HERE (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/products/LightWave/Trial/Videos/Curves.mov) to view NewTek's video tutorial on curves - which demonstrates the Spline-Lathe method I'm referring to).

Or simply create a disc in the Top view, extrude in the Front, Back, or a side view. Then using one of the many "shift" tools (i.e. Multishift, Smoothshift, etc), create the top and bottom curves of your bottle. Then start manipulating (or removing) the geometry that defines the unique "semi-circle-ness) of your bottle.

And of course, I say "disc", but I don't know what the profile of your bottle looks like from a top orthographic perspective. If it looks more triangle, create a triangle, if it's more organic than that, draw out any shape you want from the top view using the Pen or any curve tool, then extrude it. I think you can see what I'm getting at.