PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 Project Files: Compatible in VT[5]?

tmon
11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Will one be able to load VT [4.6] project files in VT[5] without any major problems?

Has this been confirmed and reconfirmed by users who are already running VT[5]?

ted
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
If you haven't changed your directory structure and you didn't use any 3rd party plugins, you should be Okey-Dokey.

stargatesg1
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
one thing i noticed was lack of alpha in my files. They worked fine in vt4.6.
Now i cant use speededit as a downstream key like i used to do.

ted
11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Taiji, I spoke too soon.
Double spacing on the timeline was a minor inconvinience that I could resolve.
The other issue was an easy re-direction of the files fix, but not what I expected.

I opened an old VT4.6 EDL and found about 10% of the GFX weren't found.
The EDL and GFX are now on Drive E instead of D. VT5 automatically found everything even though the GFX were on now on E. I have no idea how. But a handfull of GFX were still being looked for on D. Those GFX were from an even earlier project in another folder, but in the same D/Client Folder/Client X, then the folder was project X as opposed to Project Y.

But the following might be part of the reason.

We have a dual boot of XP and Vista Ultimate 64 on our new system.
When the computer was built, it was to have the exact same drive structure as the old one.
The oddity is that the XP drive is called C when in XP and the Vista drive is called F.
When in Vista, the Vista drive is called C and the XP drive is called F.

Somehow VT5 knew how to find 90% of the files, but not the ones from the other folder on the same drive.
I've got to dig a little deeper to figure this one out, but still easy to resolve since I'm not going back to VT4.

ecotv18
11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I, too, lost all my layering in graphics created in 4.6 when I upgraded to VT5. The alpha information seems to just go away. Has anybody had any luck in getting VT4 graphics to import correctly into VT5?

SBowie
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I, too, lost all my layering in graphics created in 4.6 when I upgraded to VT5. The alpha information seems to just go away.Do you mean that a PNG, TARGA, TRV or AVI with alpha applied as an overlay within an editor project does not respect it's transparency in SpeedEDIT VT?

Or are you saying that SpeedEDIT output does not retain transparency when applied as a source via the DSK, whereas your results with VT-Edit were different?

ecotv18
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
We don't use SpeedEDIT... we only use our VT for switching live productions. My problem only concerns the CG Designer where the files are saved as a PNG. With VT4, all the layering information was retained and could be manipulated to create new name keys, slates, etc. VT5 seems to be interpreting the graphics as flattened.

SBowie
11-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I think you may be inadvertently confusing image and project saves. Project (.cg) files should retain layer structure.

ecotv18
11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
That would be my guess too... however, these same files open with layers in VT4 (I confirmed this) but not in VT5. Somehow alpha information is being lost during import.

SBowie
11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
There may well be some differences in the CG file structure between [5]'s CG and older versios, dunno - sorry.

tmon
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Based upon my experiences thus far, I would recommend that people finish up their 4.6c projects on VT[4] before doing the upgrade. Either that, or understand that you have to rebuild older VT projects from the ground up within the new environment. Nothing new, as I think this has probably been true for all the major upgrades. It happens with upgrades for some other NLE's too.

I'm having all sorts of problems trying to load VT[4.6c] projects for editing in VT[5], and except for the cool MPEG2 timeline playback capabilities, today, I am sorry I installed the upgrade on four workstations. It would have been better had I only used the Standalone SpeedEDIT for the MPEG2 feature, and stayed with 4.6c. I am considering whether or not to roll back right now, and not happy that I am having to contemplate this decision.

It's all Ted's fault.

;)

ted
02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
:eek: Did I do that? :D
We're still coming across old VT 4 projects almost weekly that we have to revise. We're not having any problems other then re-directing some files. I think we had to adjust audio a couple times as well. Many of these older projects are restored from external drives, including Video, GFX and EDL's. Some were simply loaded off the transfered data on the drives when we built our new system.

I would confidently say as I said before, if you don't use 3rd party effects/plugins, you should be pretty good, other than a few minor tweaks. Definitely not re-build from the ground up or I'm guessing something else is going on from our vast experience.

I would agree, I would hate to roll back purely because of this. Anything else going on that would be suspect?

Bobt
02-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Good to know how good updating can be to 3rd party guys. Guess there was a lot of consultation and pretesting done before release. You know the norm.

tmon
02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Ted,

I must have done something differently on the install. What that is, I do not know. I've eliminated BobT from the equation, as his plugs, old and new, have been removed.

The 4.6c projects in question on my end are not using any plugins, however, I did let VT5 install the DVE's on the C:\drive and it should be using them there, as opposed to a secondary internal drive, where I had them with VT 4.6c.

There was one project that I did get to open momentarily and I did a clip inherit on the "new" crossfade.dve from the new DVE's location, but then I got a crash again (this was the only file that showed up as a "problem" when I was looking at the spreadsheet on anothe system).

Most are simple projects with only two source paths (1. The project folder on the video RAID has both the media including CG Designer PNG's and the project file; 2. A "slates and color bars" folder for an opening slate background and SMPTE Bars clip if needed, also on the video RAID).

Because I could open up the VTP's as subprojects, Perkins thought it might have been the old waveform files in the NewTek info directories, but that turns out not to be the case. Still crashes even after those old folders are deleted.

I don't know what else to try in terms of troubleshooting. Maybe delete/remove the media and then open the old projects, adding media back to the source directories one by one? Any other ideas?

ted
02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Your install procedure doesn't seem a likely suspect. (But what the heck do I know). :D

I would do as you said. If you can get the project open, re-direct the files one by one.
Still curious because we've done this A LOT since we've moved to a totally new machine. We also changed past practices and installed VT and DVE's on the C Drive this time.

tmon
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Here's what I've got now.

For the most part, all of the projects have their own source directories, which include voiceovers, music, graphics, and video files, as well as the CG Designer files. They also point to a folder that has SMPTE Bars and tone, elements for a slate background and countdown and a black video clip.

I deleted this "BarsLeadersSlateTone" folder (first backing it up to a non-mapped drive) and was able to then open the 4.6c projects in VT5 without a crash. The missing clips showing their expected "red outlining."

So far so good.

Now, I copied the SAME "BarsLeadersSlateTone" folder back onto the video RAID, re-open some 4.6c projects and lo and behold, now they load!

I have now idea why this worked, but at the very least, it is encouraging. I'm going to try it out on another VT5 workstation.

tmon
02-13-2008, 07:38 PM
OK, I've changed my tune. One can load 4.6c projects in VT5, unless something weird happens.

Maybe it was the old NewTek info folder getting "in the way." I really don't know.

A second VT5 workstation is now loading 4.6c VTP projects correctly. All is well.

All thanks to Ted - it was good to have you as a beacon of hope!

And John P. also.....

:D

Whew.

ted
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
The reason for the solution was your sticking with it, and John. :D
So often people run into a problem, assume it's the software's fault, whine and move on.
Glad you found a way to resolve it and can now move up to VT5 forever! :thumbsup:

CreatvGnius
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
...Still curious because we've done this A LOT since we've moved to a totally new machine. We also changed past practices and installed VT and DVE's on the C Drive this time.

And replaced Norton's antivirus tools with AVG Free too? :D
Sorry. Couldn't resist, Ted.
-PeterG

ted
02-14-2008, 09:29 AM
No prob. Pete. I agree it's a PIG, but it makes me feel good. :D
And I'd never try un-installing Norton since it's nearly impossible.

CreatvGnius
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
No prob. Pete. I agree it's a PIG, but it makes me feel good. :D
And I'd never try un-installing Norton since it's nearly impossible.

Instead of going for the Add/Remove Programs method, you might at least go to START > All Programs > then go to the Norton folder, to see if you have a context menu that provides for an Uninstall Option.

But I wouldn't put it past them not to have provided you this option. :devil: That besides, I'll bet there's really good freeware or shareware available, that'll aid in nearly complete removal of installed wares. But I'm not sure which product to try.
-PeterG