PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Find The List Of Improvements For Lw 9.3.1?

trang
11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
hi guys,
1. is this upgrade worth the trouble? it seems to be a large dwnload.
2. any url i can read the list of fixes etc? cant seem to find it on newtek web page.
3. fprime 301 work it this version then?

i am using win xp 32bit and lw 9.3.

Greenlaw
11-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Mainly bug fixes and there's over a hundred of them. I'd say yes, it's worth the download.

fprime is working fine for me in 9.3.1, even with nodal textures. (Mainly using FastSkin and Mormal Map nodes right now.)

I'm running LightWave on XP Pro sp2, 32bit.

Hope this info helps.

DRG

Greenlaw
11-25-2007, 08:28 PM
BTW, if I can assume you haven't been following the threads regarding 9.3.1 this week, you should be aware that you may need to change the .zip extension of the file to .exe to run it. For some weird reason the file was posted this way but I imagine it will be corrected by next week.

DRG

trang
11-26-2007, 01:28 AM
1. yes your reply helped thank you. m glad fprime 301 works with 931 as its invaluable for my work..yes i will change the zip to exe and install thru this if the dwnload is such (still)

2. btw does the large dwload mean the 64-bit version is also included? if it is, is there a way to just choose the 32-bit install then/...and can i just copy over my lw93 config backups (layout, modeler, lwext, menu and keyboard configs) to lw931? i would install this to a separate folder.

3. by nodal do you mean ifw2 nodal textures or lw node texture method instead of layers? i use these too.

Greenlaw
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi,

From what I understand, the installer has all versions contained and it will determine which version to install on your system, with some choices left to the user. I don't think there is currently anyway to download just the 32-bit version.

By nodal, I mean LightWave's node editor. I haven't tried any third party nodes with FPrime yet but it sounds like some work and some don't. Many of the native nodes apparently work with FPrime, though I haven't tried anything too complicated yet. Really just FastSkin and Normal mapping for the 'advanced' stuff, and a few basic nodes like the Image Loader and such.

I still do a lot of surfacing with standard layers system because it's still what many of us at work are more familar with. We're slowly migrating to nodes though.

The only problem I had with FP3 is with shadow transparency in Monte Carlo mode. I had a clip mapped object which rendered a solid shadow in FP3 in Monte Carlo, but rendered correctly with Background Radiosity. The same element rendered with correct shadows with LightWave's native renderer in Monte Carlo.

BTW, last week I had a different problem with LightWave's native cameras and Fast Skin. Fast Skin seems to render correctly in either FPrime 3 or LW's Classic camera, but it rendered very strangely with the Perspective camera--it looked as if it was ignoring all color inputs. I didn't have time to mess with it so I just rendered the scene with Classic. To be fair though, I was using LW 9.3 for this particular shot, so I'll have to test it with 9.3.1 this before reporting it. Hopefully, it works fine in 9.3.1.

DRG

trang
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
i can presume then that if i select a different folder to install 931, its installer will catch this and properly install the 32-bit version yes?

and did you re-config lw 931 instead of copying over lw93's configs?
yes not all nodes out there work with fp301 but how many CAN you have really? i aso work in layers as iym used to this and FP wrks quite well with this system so why change..IMO

i also have a prob with FP+ clip maps and shadow transparency and there isnt a workaround for this so it seems but i didnt knw that this wrks in FP bkgrnd radiosity as dnt really have a need for this. its either MC or ray tracing.

i always use the classic camera and havent really gotten to understanding the perspective camera and its use especially that its slower usin this type of cam wit FP.

there was a plug, shader called tilt camera shader or something awhile back that worked in lw9 and it was useful but it disappeared.

hopefully worley can update his FP soon to also include real-time anims renders like what that vray beta can do.

Greenlaw
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
BTW, last week I had a different problem with LightWave's native cameras and Fast Skin. Fast Skin seems to render correctly in either FPrime 3 or LW's Classic camera, but it rendered very strangely with the Perspective camera--it looked as if it was ignoring all color inputs. I didn't have time to mess with it so I just rendered the scene with Classic. To be fair though, I was using LW 9.3 for this particular shot, so I'll have to test it with 9.3.1 this before reporting it. Hopefully, it works fine in 9.3.1.

DRG

Hi,

I finally got around to looking at this again, and I think I was mistaken about my results from last week.

Now I think the Perspective camera is working correctly with Fast Skin, and FP3 is only working with Fast Skin as far as Classic camera can work with it. After playing around with the two cameras, FP3, and Fast Skin, it appears that only Perspective camera respects all of Fast Skin's settings. FWIW, I felt I was getting decent results with Classic and FP3 last week, but today I was able to get more realistic results with Perspective once I understood the Fast Skin settings better.

This is probably not a bug but more a limitation because I don't think FP3 has been fully updated for the new Materials nodes yet, and my guess is that Classic camera hasn't been updated for Fast Skin either. Just a theory but I thought was worth mentioning.

DRG

trang
11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
really! what is the diff bet persp cam and classic cam as i do architecturals mostly.

i went to your site and that of rhythm and hues. so you're the guys who did those wow effects. very nice!

hmmm i hope i can count on your advise should i run into obstacles using LW931.

Greenlaw
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi Trang,

It just occured to me what's up with Fast Skin and FP3...it's the node's Preprocess stage; FPrime 3 probably doesn't know anything about this feature yet because it came out before this node became available. This may explain why I get nearly identical results with Classic camera. It's interesting though, that FP3 and Classic does the best it can with what it does understand about the node. This is just a somewhat educated guess, of course; I'm not a programmer and I don't really know what goes on under the hood. Maybe somebody out there who knows better can correct or confirm? :)

It's my understanding that Perspective camera should be faster than Classic especially with a lot of geometry and raytracing involved. Perspective also gives you access to the new AA and Photoreal Motion Blur options.

Generally, we stick stick with the Perspective camera, but occasionally we run into plug-ins or features that appear to work correctly only with Classic camera. We're seeing this problem less as software gets updated.

As for "counting on my advice": what, are you crazy? I'm glad to help where I can, but there are a lot of people here who are way more knowledgeable than I am. But feel free to ask me questions anyway. :)

Take care,

DRG

Greenlaw
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmm. Now it appears that Classic does work with Fast Skin. I would have sworn that I had problems with this earlier. Then, I may have been using 9.3 though...I'm using 9.3.1 right now. Not that it matters because for this project I'll be using Perspective anyway, but it's good to see that Classic is fine with Fast Skin. So now I guess it's just FPrime that needs to be updated. :)

BTW, that clip map issue seems to have cleared up in FPrime 3. I think the problem appeared briefly while in Monte Carlo mode, but then it cleared up--something I couldn't get it to do last week. Maybe 9.3.1 improved some FP3 interactions?

I'm certainly learned a lot about the Node Editor this past week. Previously I only used it for Normal mapping but I'm dipping into more complicated stuff now. It's pretty cool, and a lot easier to use than I thought it would be.

DRG