PDA

View Full Version : graphics card??

leopard8
11-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi,i have lightwave 8.3 and when creating something as simple as a box and rotate the object the polygons flicker like crazy...is this something im not doing correctly or is this a problem with my graphics card??.any help would me much appreciated...ive also created character models and buildings but the object im creating when moved and rotated also flicker...

IMI
11-25-2007, 04:09 PM
What model graphics card? What OS? Updated drivers?

EDIT:
I was using a geforce FX 5700 when 8.3 came out, and never had any flicker, but occasional artefacts.

leopard8
11-25-2007, 04:30 PM
cheers for replying..ive got Type: PCI Express x16 - plug-in card

Graphics Processor / Vendor: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Installed Size: 512 MB

Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

somebody mentioned there could be a problem with open gl with my graphics card...ive no idea what this means??

IMI
11-25-2007, 04:37 PM
OpenGL is the software driver for the hardware card. That's basically it, although it's far more complex than that - it tells the card how to treat polygons and textures, and other surface attributes, shadows, and so on.
Make sure that Video Acceleration is full on in the advanced tab of My Computer, and check Nvidia's site for the latest Forcewear for your OS and card model.
The 7600 is more than capable for use with LW 8.3, and you shouldn't have such a problem.
Does it have a separate 4-pin power connector on the card? Some of them do, depending on the manufacturer.

leopard8
11-25-2007, 04:51 PM
ive no idea to be honest...tried looking on my computer for an advanced tab with no luck..not sure what to do if the card is acceptable enough...
not even sure if it is the graphics card now :(
will have a look at the nvidia site..
there shouldnt be flickers on a model if rotated right?...lol!!

IMI
11-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Try this. With just your Desktop showing, meaning no open apps having focus, type the F1 key to open Windows Help, then type in Video Acceleration to see some FAQ's. Otherwise, right click on the "My Computer" icon and select Properties, and follow it through Advanced, to Performance or something like that - if in XP. If Vista - I can't find it, lol! I think they took it out and it's just automatic now...

Graphics problems are often solved with using latest drivers, or, sometimes, downgrading a driver. The Nvidia "Forceware" program is just that - the drivers, plus a few cool utility apps.

No, it shouldn't flicker, but unless the card itself is damaged, not getting enough power, or overheating, it's in Windows somewhere. You might have to reinstall as a last resort. I'd try that before buying a new video card.
The good news is, even a brand new PCI-e x16 7600 is pretty inexpensive these days.

Good luck! Hopefully someone with some more hardware savvy than I will have some better troubleshooting suggestions.

You *might* try running the DirectX diagnostic tool and seeig if that turns up anything, but I don't know if it would or not. To do that you can type dxdiag.exe in the Start Menu>Run field, and just follow the instructions.

leopard8
11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
just want to thankyou for your help..been on many forums about this issue and although helpful nobody has quite found out what the issue was..apart from you!! '3rd worst animator ever' i dont think :)
The problem was indeed with the video acceleration..everything is running smooth..cheers and thanks once again for your help i owe you a pint of britains best ale lol! :)

IMI
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Oh, no problem, I'm glad that worked , and happy to help! :)