PDA

View Full Version : LW Win 32 is 3.2 times faster than LW on OS X....

j__
11-25-2007, 11:02 AM
... at deformation, and faster still at some other tasks according to some quick tests via Boot Camp with the same scene.

But the bottom line: deformation speed, is at least is 3.2 times better in Windows XP than on Mac OS X, and therefore your interaction in Layout is much smoother if you're doing any deformation.

It would be interesting if Chilton could comment on this if he has time,

Some other comparisons:

render wise about the same

Viper appears to have died recently so unable to test that on os x, but Viper is dizzyingly fast on Windows as is Node interaction.

GLSL shading is also very fast and a pleasant experience compared to the Mac,

Now here's another surprise:

Start up time:

Layout on Windows XP: about a second

Layout on Mac OS X: 10 seconds ????

Could it be that there is something desperately wrong with this slew of dongle frameworks on the Mac, there is just one dongle thing the PC, not three.

The good news:

There isn't that much difference with Modeler. Modeler is about the same, in fact it may be a little quicker to pan and rotate on the Mac, but there is a slight speed advantage on the PC with editing geometry, though it is still dog slow there at times with the 'orrible Windowz egg timer appearing, and selecting is way faster on Windows.

Appears that the latest release of LW seems to have closed the gap re closing a scene with Windows, which could sometimes be sluggish before, they are both pretty much instantaneous.

Chilton
11-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi J__,

These are interesting results. A year ago I remember the UB actually being faster than the Windows version, but I couldn't say anything about it in the forums because we were not in Open Beta testing yet.

There are obviously some things we can improve with regard to your results. I should stress that any optimizations we make will show up in Open Beta before they are released into the wild.

-Chilton

Magnus81
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I read an article that stated that the new macs run faster and better with Xp because of all the PC parts they're using now(Intel,Nvidia..).
Just something I read.

j__
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes I'm sure a lot of people will hope that bone deformation speed can be improved, it really is a world of difference in Windows and across different display subdivision levels.

The 3.2 x may not even be correct, It could be even faster than that in some circumstances. I got that by doing a Make Preview of the same scene.

But anyone can see for themselves just by rotating bones around on a mesh, OS X is like a tortoise in comparison and already starting to choke at level 0. At 0 Windows is silky smooth, at 1 it's pretty much the same, and 2 and 3 it's still surprisingly impressive compared to OS X.

The Mac is just not even in the game on this.

We're talking about 9.3.1 by the way.

I'm sure there is room for improvement all round with bone deformation but whatever the heck is going on on the Mac in particular is an issue.

Anyway thanks Chilton, I hope you can have an opportunity to look into that when you can.

Magnus81
11-30-2007, 12:19 AM
IS 9.3.1 an update for Mac only?

Phil
11-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Nope. 9.3.1 is an update for all platforms (Win32, Win64, legacy Mac, UB Mac)