PDA

View Full Version : has this ever happened to you...

lone
07-04-2003, 01:27 PM
finally decided i was ready to do a serious project, and since i wanted to do something "unique and original", i picked an idea from the opening of a horror story i wrote a couple years ago; a mailbox with teeth and a tongue.
so i spent about a month on it, modeled a nice semi-photreal mailbox, and the upper set of teeth.
went to BORDER's a couple nights ago, was checking out some CGI mags, and just as i'm flipping thru the last couple of pages of 3D WORLD, this title catches my eye - "why does my mailbox hate me". i was thinking about something else at the time, and had actually closed the magazine and started to put it down before the tittle really registered. so, thinking, "no, it couldn't possibly be", i opened the mag back up, found the pic, and sure as s h i t, it's a picture of a mailbox with teeth and a tongue.
while the execution is different, being cartoony, whereas i was shooting for as close to real as i could get, the idea itself is virtually identical (i think it can also be found at WWW.BORING3D.COM).
i'm sure the whole store heard my reaction, which was just short of a scream, and involved a fair amount of profanity.
after returning home, and spending a few hours in LIBERTY CITY, transferring kinetic energy into minivans, i felt a little better. i have to finish it; it's looking too good to toss, but the thrill is gone.
none of my friends or family are into art, so no one i know can relate, but i imagine somebody here has had a similar experience.

Paul Goodrich
07-04-2003, 04:53 PM
Well, I was storyboarding a short I was going to do some months ago when I got latest issue of Computer Graphics at my studio and the cover had a shot of a film that looked almost exactly like the set I was I planning. Different story line but not by much. This sort of thing has been documented many times. Filmaking was develped almost in parrellel in France and America. The Wright brothers were not the only ones trying the same thing at the same time. Ideas seem to happen at the same time quite often I'm not sure why, maybe somebody else has a clue, I don't.
Paul Goodrich

riki
07-04-2003, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as you get another idea, the same thing is going to happen, you can bank on it. The originality isn't so much the concept but the execution, what you do with it.

gjjackson
07-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Paul Goodrich
Well, I was storyboarding a short I was going to do some months ago when I got latest issue of Computer Graphics at my studio and the cover had a shot of a film that looked almost exactly like the set I was I planning. Different story line but not by much. This sort of thing has been documented many times. Filmaking was develped almost in parrellel in France and America. The Wright brothers were not the only ones trying the same thing at the same time. Ideas seem to happen at the same time quite often I'm not sure why, maybe somebody else has a clue, I don't.
Paul Goodrich

It's because of an anomaly in the Matrix.

Psyhke
07-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Riki hit it right on the nose I think. Especially this:

The originality isn't so much the concept but the execution, what you do with it.

Every type of artist could say to themselves, 'it's all been done before', and in one way they'd be right. But in another way, they'd be wrong and have to say to themselves 'well, it's never been done as good as I'm going to do it!', and go and do it.

mufty
07-06-2003, 03:11 PM
I've experienced this a few times and it's a little frustrating. I just put it down to my ideas coming from other things I've seen/heard/read in the past and forgotten.

riki
07-06-2003, 06:58 PM
You should read up on Post Modernism and the Death of Art. :)

dablan
07-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Happened to me -
my partner and I have been playing with an idea for the past 5 years. We have storyboards, secured a website, designed characters, etc. Someting pretty unique.

I won't go into details, but there's a certain movie called SharkSlayer coming out soon based on similar circumstances.

Someone once said that as soon as you mention your idea, even just out loud, it's out there in the universe, ready to be snatched up by anyone.

Keep moving. Nothing to see here.
Dan

Edbittner
07-09-2003, 04:52 AM
There is an actual term for that. It's called "spontaneous inspiration", and it has happened to me.........a lot.
Ed

meshmaster
07-09-2003, 10:30 AM
in the world of art, there is nothing that hasn't been done before... especially when dealing with cliches.

btw, that idea has been done a TON before. If you look around in freebie graphic libraries, you find a lot of gifs of mailboxes with teeth in the late 80s/early 90s - it was part of a cliche about comptuers, email, and bytes...

riki
07-10-2003, 07:21 AM
To tell you the truth, I'm not surprised that someone else thought of that idea.

When I was a kid I used to get a hard-on when ever I saw a letter box. It sounds funny now, but at the time was very embarassing when your a kid and made to wear short trousers :)

Lamont
07-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by riki
When I was a kid I used to get a hard-on when ever I saw a letter box. It sounds funny now, but at the time was very embarassing when your a kid and made to wear short trousers :) ::crickets chirping:: **backs away very slowly and closes the door...**

lone
07-18-2003, 04:10 PM
thanks to all for the encouraging words.

richpr
07-18-2003, 04:34 PM
It's think it is actually called "Synchronicity"... The Police made an album about it...

Then there are these cultural archetypes, called memes, where things are popular with people or starting to be... Like eh, crystal type animations or fish ;)