PDA

View Full Version : Motion Keys Camera animation HELP

Ivan_B
11-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi,

Could someone please explain to me, how it is I can get a camera motion to move along a straight path and have it slow down gradually remain slow for a bit then gradually move off picking up speed.

Another way to explain it, is for the camera to ease in and ease out, much like in After Effects, (or to move Exponentially, I think the word is) HOWEVER without altering the path (twisting and bending etc) I have tried everything to do with the Graph editor "Tension" and the results are simply CRAP!

Is there a plugin that can help?

I'm trying to fly through our solar system, and I want to slow down as I pass the planets and other objects.

Thanks in advance,

Ivan.

Surrealist.
11-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Take a look at this (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Speed_Velocity.mov) and see if it helps.

Beyond that it is really just a matter of adjusting the timing of your keyframes and making the transitions smooth using curves.

Sekhar
11-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Yes, and if for whatever reason you don't like TCB Spline, you can also try Hermite and Bezier. I use AE and don't see how it is more powerful for easing than LW. May be you can explain further?

Ivan_B
11-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks People,

I did manage to work out that you can use "Bias" to get a slow take off from one keyframe picking up speed in the middle and slowing down towards the end keyframe.

What I meant by AE is you can select the key/keys and simple make it ease in or ease out quickly..no mess no fuss, then fine tune in graph editor if required.

The thing that gets me when manipulating certain keyframes, is how the ones before and after get effect, sometimes quite badly.

Thanks again.

Surrealist.
11-25-2007, 01:11 AM
That's right because the key frames are points on the curve. Hope the video was a help and I second the suggestion to try out the Bezier curves. If you alt click you can adjust one side of the curve at a time. Curves will take a little bit of getting used to because they can give you lots of fine-tuned control over your animation. The more you work with them the easier it will get. :)

Ivan_B
11-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Surrealist...Thankyou so much for the ALT CLICK Tip that is exactly what I'm after!

Thankyou ALL!!!

Mr Rid
11-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Reminds me of something I miss from 5.6- on a key frame, you didnt have to be in the graph editor and could just hold down T,B or S and drag to change spline value. You could also have TCB and linear on the same key.

But in 9.3 Layout you may click Ctrl+G (default hotkey) to select TCB tool without entering Graph Editot, then R+Drag to change Bias, or L+Drag to change Tension, or Ctrl+L+drag to change Continuity.

Surrealist.
11-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Perfect! I was wondering where that went. Thanks for the tip.

EDit: And Nackers, glad you are rolling now and good luck with it. :)