PDA

View Full Version : 9.3.1 Won't Recognize My License Key

Giacomo99
11-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello-

I just tried to install the 9.3.1 update on my G5 Mac. I copied the license.key file from my 9.3 Programs folder to the new 9.3.1 Programs folder, but when I launch 9.3.1 Layout it doesn't acknowledge it--I get the "Key Missing, Running In Discovery Mode" message.

Please advise.

cagey5
11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I had the same problem until I installed the sentinal drivers that shipped with the installation.

GregMalick
11-22-2007, 01:00 PM
I had the same message.

I went to the "my product" page from the registry page and copied my LW9 License key from that page into the license.key file.

Worked fine then.

I'm guessing they released new keys...

Giacomo99
11-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Well, I copied the key from the "My Product" page (thanks, Greg Malick) and that works, sort of--I'm advised on launching Layout that my "temporary license key has 24 days remaining."

Does this upgrade even matter? The main bug-fix I was hoping for in 9.3.1 was that I could once again launch Layout by double-clicking an Object or Scene file--unfortunately, this annoying bug persists. I'd love to find out what was changed in this upgrade, but the PDF listing the changes won't download--it seems to be missing from NewTek's server.

Par for the Lightwave course, I guess.

bobakabob
11-22-2007, 02:02 PM
As a former victim of discovery mode blues I always dread this license key stuff and wish Newtek would supply an idiot proof solution to upgrading. So...

Dongle should remain in the PC?
New sentinel drivers should be installed when prompted?
New license key should be copied from Newtek site into the new license key file before firing up LW?

BeeVee
11-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Here goes with a definitive explanation:

All publicly-released versions of LightWave 9.x (so 9.0, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.3.1 to date):
Use the license.key from 9.0

All open beta versions:
Use the temporary license.key that last a month with a new one being furnished before the old one runs out in your account at http://register.newtek.com with one exception. When the open beta is finalised there will be no new license.key offered but your 9.0 license.key will work (and not be time-limited).

Mac UB uses the same key as the Mac CFM version and Win-64 uses a different key to Win-32.

B

Giacomo99
11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
The downloads page is confusing. The first time I downloaded the Open Beta (why is there an Open Beta for this software at all?) because the real download link is under "Trial Edition Downloads." I downloaded that one, installed it, and everything seems OK for the moment.

Also, the "What's New In 9.3.1" link still doesn't work. I guess we'll never find out what makes 9.3.1 different from 9.3.