PDA

View Full Version : Poser and LW - Giant model problem?

Speedmonk42
11-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi, I want to use Poser for a technical illustration project.

I was reading through the forum posts on it and noticed some people, very experienced ones indeed such as splinegod, used the word nightmare and not fun when importing models.

Am I crazy to try and use 20+ posed models in a scene? No animation or rigging. Just posed still objects.

Perhaps I should wait for Quidam 2 with the low poly output option....

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks,
JM

Sekhar
11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Not too bad if you have a converter that can do OBJ to LW (like Deep Exploration). Basically: export from Poser as OBJ and convert to LW - that's pretty much it, except things like eyes lashes, etc. need a bit of tweaking.

akademus
11-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Lightwave has native OBJ importer-exporter. No need to convert. I guess you can export objs from Poser.

Also what might come in handy, you can export series of posed models from Poser as objs and then have your T-pose model as main one, import poses into other layers, use Background to Morph to create morphs from pose models.

Hope this helps...

Speedmonk42
11-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Not too bad if you have a converter that can do OBJ to LW (like Deep Exploration). Basically: export from Poser as OBJ and convert to LW - that's pretty much it, except things like eyes lashes, etc. need a bit of tweaking.

Eye lashes!

LOL! I sure don't need anything that detailed!

Those things must be pretty detailed then.

Perhaps I will wait for Quidam 2.0 Studio. Seems like a more progressive faster moving application too. But that is just speculation, I have not used either.

Thanks,
JM

Silkrooster
11-21-2007, 09:40 PM
One thing that you may need is a plug in by Dodgy for mtl files. As Lightwave obj importer does not support mtl's. Which are require to import your textures.
http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/index.html
Silk

SplineGod
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
You would have to export 20 objects in the proper pose from poser. Its not hard and you can export the clothing as well along with the character. You would need to reapply the textures in LW. Again not difficult but time consuming.

Things also depend on whether you are using the high rez versions of characters or low rez versions. Ive used poser on a 4 proc Xeon machine and poser easily brings it to its knees. THe most characters Ive ever had in poser was 12 and it was a huge pain to deal with because of how slow it is. You can only run a single instance of poser and even if you could run multiple instances you wouldnt want to because its such a resource hog. It also has other issues I wont get into here.

Ive been using some plugins that Denis Pontonnier developed that allows LW to import a poser object complete with textures as well as poser skeleton, morphs, weight maps, poses and motions. Its quite nice.

Poser does have some nice tools. Its fairly easy to pose something and the pose/motion library is nice. Its possible to get decent renders from with with IBL lighting. Other then that it sucks.

I found it faster to import the stuff i needed into LW which renders much faster and seems to handle more characters better in layout. LW modeler seems to have a great deal of problems handling the high poly characters from poser without chopping them up to deal with. I kill the geometry that would be covered with clothing. Even so a single character with clothing can easily be over 200,000 polys.

For posing the characters in LW I used IKBoost because its the closest thing to the ease of posing that poser has. I can also use IKBoost to copy and reuse poses and motions between characters.

I dont know if Id even want to try loading 20 poser characters into LW at once though. Maybe in passes. I would definately do the posing in LW over poser though.

Speedmonk42
11-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I will definitely be doing it in LW.

I actually have your Rigging DVD sitting in front of me.

Perhaps I should just get down and dig into it and do it all in LW.

I just don't need to do any animation, just a library of pre-posed models to place in a scene. It will be close to 600 diagrams.

Perhaps I will get the Quidam Studio when the release it. At least that will output some low poly models. I don't need much detail at all.

Have to go scare up a second monitor and start watching your DVD....

SplineGod
11-22-2007, 01:45 AM
For something like that I would put the bones in the character and apply IKBoost to the bones. Setting up IKB is much simpler and faster plus you can save and reuse poses or motions on a whole rig or parts of a rig.

Bill Carey
11-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Remember that Poser comes with lower poly models as well, the P3/4 models are included with the newer versions. If you're not getting that close, these might lighten the load.

SplineGod
11-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Thats true except that the clothing is still very high poly. Even with lower poly characters I doubt that getting 20 with clothing into a scene will be fun.
Ive had a shoe come in with more polys then the low rez versions. :)

Speedmonk42
11-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Thats true except that the clothing is still very high poly. Even with lower poly characters I doubt that getting 20 with clothing into a scene will be fun.
Ive had a shoe come in with more polys then the low rez versions. :)

LOL!

I have a decent model with a low poly count.

I am going to take a stab at just using that and digging into the Kurv Rigging Guide.

If it doesn't work out I will try the other programs then.

Thanks for the help guys.
:)

SplineGod
11-22-2007, 03:27 AM
I would just add in the bones you need to pose and then apply IKBoost rather then setup IK the old way. It takes about 30 seconds to setup a decent, poseable rig in IKB. Heres a quick example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/ikb_demo.zip

starbase1
11-22-2007, 05:38 AM
I did a tutorial on exactly this:
http://www.starbase1.co.uk/tutposer1.html

Which makes good use of Dodgy's utility!

Must do part 2 some time...
Nick

SplineGod
11-22-2007, 05:57 AM
If you contact Denis he might be able to get you his poser to LW utilities. It makes it a snap. :)

Phil
11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I've used CR2Loader before now. Works quite nicely, although I apply Maestro rigs to the models, and have to rework the weightmaps to get predictable deformation.

Giacomo99
11-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure how hi-res the final output needs to be, but there's always the option of just exporting the posed model from Poser, then doing a "Polygon Reduction" in Modeler until the count gets low enough for a twenty-figure scene to be manageable. I've gone this route in the past and achieved acceptable results.