PDA

View Full Version : MOCAP Questions - Need HELP!

silviotoledo
11-21-2007, 01:18 PM
My question is not specific about Lightwave.

You animators wich have used MOCAP, please answer me:

1) How much time is necessary to animate a character by key frame with a movie quality? generally 3 seconds per week? 15 seconds per week?

2) How much productivity can we have using MOCAP? 30 seconds per week? Or is the retargeting process so hard?

cresshead
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
it all depends on what your character is doing re key framing per week and regards motion capture this usually does not include animation for hands, fingers or face...

over at pixar they take around 2years for 30seconds of finished hand keyed animation per artist.

mo cap is for general animation...you need to also understand that some mo cap looks VERY odd on some stylised characters...so mocap [general clips]
can be very useful but depends on your model design.

lipsync can be helped along with semi automating via a plugin.
lightwave has mimic pro for this and there's other plugins available too.

adding a motion capture clip to a lightwave character is doable but it's quite painful to do...i've done it a few times but it's far from a simple process.

hand keying is also doable but again all depend on what you hope to shoot for

sorry to sound so vague...give us some examples of what your hoping to do and we'll do our best to help

steve g

ben martin
11-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Like cresshead said... it depends a lot!
Using a good MOCAP system you can achieve 30 sec anim in 5 min.
Fine tune it could take some hours/days though.

To capture real human motion is a must.
To stylized characters, key anim, is recommended.
My team uses booth methods!

Netvudu
11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Also nobody ever tells you anything about retargeting...because we have no tools for that, or those that could be used for that are not designed to work with mocap.
Unless you can put motion builder into your pipeline somehow, you´re in for real trouble.

pooby
11-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Or XSI

LW_Will
11-25-2007, 01:34 PM
If you want to use a BVH editor, like BVHacker, that will allow you to do a million things including Adding a Di Vinci Pose, lengthening and shortening a run.

Of course, the problem with MoCap is that they do not mark vector changes, they instead mark every frame as a key frame. Great, except when you need to move a hand that passes through a leg or arm.

But, Larry Schultz has shown by using IKBoost you can actually edit MoCap files. This is really big time. Even if it allows you to move small things, it allows you to move small things! I know of ways I used to move subtle things (involved deleting and remaking keys) but now, you can actually edit the frame and the other key frames around it. Megga!

ben martin
11-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Of course, the problem with MoCap is that they do not mark vector changes, they instead mark every frame as a key frame. Great, except when you need to move a hand that passes through a leg or arm.
True but you can clean the BVH channels using LW tools (Graph editor) and end with less key frames (almost like manual vector key animation) and you don't need IKB to do such! :)

LW_Will
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
yeah, except that using the IK Boost will be much faster... and gives you three ways to apply the correction.

IK Boost, it really works... honest.

-EsHrA-
11-27-2007, 01:48 AM
a bitt off topic but could someone upload the dancing spiderman scene thats included with lw content?! i cant seem to find it and i need to test some bvh files.

cheers,

mlon

ben martin
11-27-2007, 03:30 AM
a bitt off topic but could someone upload the dancing spiderman scene thats included with lw content?! i cant seem to find it and i need to test some bvh files.

cheers,

mlon
Get all the files you need from here (it's free):
www.mocapdata.com

silviotoledo
11-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks all for the informations.

So, I will have problems if I will want to change the pose on lightwave? It doesn't matter if I had cleanned it on Motion Builder?

Would MOCAP file work with a IK FK Foot and Hands character rig done in lightwave?

ben martin
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks all for the informations.

So, I will have problems if I will want to change the pose on lightwave? It doesn't matter if I had cleanned it on Motion Builder?

Would MOCAP file work with a IK FK Foot and Hands character rig done in lightwave?
Cleaning it in Motion Builder won’t make any difference since you have to “Plot” all the animation before export it to Lightwave.
This means that Lightwave will auto-key each animated bones at all frames in time-line.

So, the cleaning should be done in Lightwave (after import the character animation), not in Motion Builder.

About overwrite those plotted key-frames…
If you succeed to clean up the imported character animation, you’ll be able to fine tune/correct the animation keys to some degree but it’ll be tedious since Lightwave does not have a Layer (overwrite) animation system.

Nevertheless I heard that Larry (SplineGod) is about to reveal/release some info regarding the cool possibilitie to use IKB to overwrite imported BVH motion file animation.

I’m curious to see how that will work! :hey:

silviotoledo
12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Hmmmm. Come on Larry. If it's pobbible with IK boost, let us to know.

pooby
12-08-2007, 11:50 AM
You can layer animation on top of mo-cap.
The BVH file makes tiny bones at the base of the joints. you can use these as offets that can be animated,