PDA

View Full Version : How to change one color on different maps in one go

Dysprosium
11-21-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm using different maps on one model due to decals/different surfaces. The basic 'color' (procedural texture) is the same on every map, though. Is there a way to group these colors in order to change them at one and the same time instead of going through every single one?
Thx :)

Surrealist.
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Are you using nodes?

Also in the texture panel there is the preset shelf (F8) which will make things faster. You can load your basic surface as a preset (double click on surface preview sphere or cube area) then with the surface selected you want to change you can simply double click on the preset in the shelf window and it will load it to that surface. From there then add your other mapping. You can also rename, organize into libraries, your surfaces here.

Dysprosium
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Surrealist
Thx for the quick reply. I tried to use nodes but it doesn't solve my problem as I haven't figured out yet how to assign one node to two or many different surfaces.

I also might have mixed up some of the terms there(maps and surfaces) so I give you a specific example and you might go like "aaah, why didn't you say so in the first place?" :D

Here we go: I'm modelling a military aircraft which I want to have this usual camouflage texture. Focussing on the wings, I choose the left one to be normal, meaning no damage, a certain shininess etc. The right one, though, I want to be damaged with a rough and maybe even rusty surface.
Thus, I create two surfaces(left and right), both with the same Procedural Texture layer for color to create the camouflage texture.
I leave the surface for the left wing as it is but I create some additional layers for the right one in order to get the rustiness.
This way I go on and create more surfaces for the other parts of the aircraft, but always with the same camouflage layer.
Now, I realize "Oh, cr**, this grey of the camouflage texture makes me feel so sad, I want to change it to pink (or whatever :) ) for the whole plane.

So long story short: Is it possible to control the camouflage color(meaning color of the procedural texture layer) of all the different surfaces at the same time or do I really have to go from one surface to the other to change it step by step? (Sorry, I feel like this problem is extremely banal and I'm doing something completely wrong :help: )

Hope you sort of get my idea

Thanks for any help!

Surrealist.
11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I see what you mean. Surfacing is not really my forte' so hopefully you'll get some other suggestions.

One thing you can do for something like this is use weightmaps Make one surface for the entire area you want camo then break it up with weightmaps by selecting the area you want as a "surface". Call them Left Wing Right Wing etc. then you can have a gradient layer set to input of a weight map and place this as an alpha blend. This allows you to control what part of the surface gets what and you can have an underlying layer that you control for the whole area if you really need that.

It is complex and in the end you might find it easier to just copy and paste your camo layer to the other surface layer stacks. But it is an idea. You could also use UV maps to control the entire surface instead of weightmaps. But again you have to layer and after a certain number of layers I always seem to get unexpected results but I am sure others are better at it than me.

Dysprosium
11-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Actually I decided to break down the texture for the plane into seperate parts from the start. That allows me to edit the corresponding color-, specular-, bump maps etc. seperately and thus without running into memory shortage and low performance when going into detail.

Maybe someone else can come up with an efficient solution to this. But I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks mate :thumbsup:

Cheers
Sam

Dysprosium
11-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Figured out how to use nodes for this issue:
There are two color nodes, each one with a 1x1 Pixel image that contains the color of one component for the camo texture, and which are assigned to the turbulence node.
The latter is assigned to the another color node where I can add the characteristics for the individual surface, like decals, damage etc.
This last color node then contributes to the surface's color channel.

So, if I want to change the camouflage colors I just have to change the source image files. It's probably not the most efficient solution, as I can't do it in Lightwave directly, but it's still faster than going through each single surface.

http://www.hankbrutowsky.ch/FTPAccounts/Lightwave/sketch.jpg

Surrealist.
11-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Good idea. A simpler and easier way to handle the color input would be to use a Contant/Color node.

Dysprosium
11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Yeah, great that's what I was looking for thanks :). Me loves nodz now :D