PDA

View Full Version : How can I do this ?

wtdedula
11-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello All;
I need to put together a very short promo video that is only 30 seconds long. And I am trying to reproduce the motion of the clips that are seen in the example below ...

http://www.yes.mtu.edu/2006_preview.php

It looks like the clips curl around an imaginary cilindar and then disappear (Fade). It seems like a really simple effect but is there a way to make it look perfect - just like in the example?

I'm using Speededit 1.5 since I havn't received VT-5 yet.

Tim

Bobt
11-20-2007, 08:13 PM
It looks like a slant and fade in. I did not see a curl.So in control tree if you shrink the clip and scale it up as you move it in. Tilt it in the Y axis
then mess with the speed control a lot.
You get something pretty close.

Bob

SBowie
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
This took maybe ten minutes to set up, and obviously needs some work - but you can kind of see where it's going. Honestly, though, this would be much easier (and better looking) done in Lightwave...

SBowie
11-21-2007, 08:02 AM
I like a little challenge while I have my morning coffee, and haven't had much time to play about in LW lately ... so here's a simple LW object you can easily adapt to your need and animate.

All you would need to do is use the Surface editor to apply video clips to the 12 surfaces (v01-v12) and roll the 'video wheel' on the Bank axis. For more elaborate effects, it would be simple to put the individual surfaces into object layers so they could be individually animated as well as acting as part of the 'video wheel' .... or clone the object a dozen times in Modeler and start adding new surface names to make a 'video pipe.'

Rich Deustachio
11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
The original video was probably composited in AE but you can get pretty close with VT if you don't want to warp the panels. If you want to warp the panels Lightwave would be the way to go as Steve said.

wtdedula
11-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Steve - Your animated wheel looks really cool but not quite what I had in mind for my promo video. I wanted more action and more things happening at the same time.

And Rich - It's interesting you think it was done in After Effects (Which I actually own - version 6.5). I am curious what capability is needed that SpeedEdit doesn't have but AE does ? It looks like it only needs 3D rotation, 3D position, and fade.

Thanks for your suggestions, too Bob.

Tim

SBowie
11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Steve - Your animated wheel looks really cool but not quite what I had in mind for my promo video. I wanted more action and more things happening at the same time.It's a sample - go forth and multiply... ;)

Rich Deustachio
11-21-2007, 09:09 PM
And Rich - It's interesting you think it was done in After Effects (Which I actually own - version 6.5). I am curious what capability is needed that SpeedEdit doesn't have but AE does ? It looks like it only needs 3D rotation, 3D position, and fade.

Tim

I thought it looked like the video panels were warped a bit but maybe I saw it wrong which you can't do in SE/VT[5]. If it is flat panels rotating without any warp then SE can do it.

Rich Deustachio
11-21-2007, 09:12 PM
I just looked at it again and I was wrong, there are no warping panels so maybe it wasn't done in AE.

Videonut
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
That is a pretty straight forward exercise for either AE or Boris Red. I like to use Red for a lot for these types of exercises. Either will duplicate that type of motions.

SBowie
11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I thought it looked like the video panels were warped a bit but maybe I saw it wrong which you can't do in SE/VT[5]. If it is flat panels rotating without any warp then SE can do it.They're not just rotating though; they are rotating wheel like around a central axis. You can only mimic this in SE, but it's pretty easy in 3D.

After that, more is just 'more' ...