PDA

View Full Version : dialating capillaries

Jakkar
11-20-2007, 02:36 PM
So I have this shot for a forensic-style tv show pilot that illustrates a lot of what happens in the body when you succumb to hypothermia for this one segment.
I need to show capillaries (small yet complex network of blood vessels, looking like a web of vines) in the extremities contracting.
The idea is that the brain sends out the signal to shrink the capillaries, preserving the majority of the blood for the vital organs.
I'm flying in close to a transparent hand to show this.

Problem: how do I model the capillaries in a way that I can shrink their diameter?
Is there a plugin for this type of thing?
Also, is there a way to rail extrude branching splines?

Any help is appreciated!

SplineGod
11-20-2007, 03:28 PM
You could model them using geometry. There is or was a free plugin called Gene that could be useful as well as LWs magic bevel tool.
Once you have the capillaries you can use the point normal move tool to create an endomorph.
You could also create dense strings of points and use HVs. The diameter can be effected using the size parameter.

bjornkn
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Move Point Normals for morphing capillaries?

SplineGod
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The point normal move tool can be used to expand or contract geometry along its normals. Useful for creating morphs. :)

Weepul
11-21-2007, 02:01 AM
You could also do that via displacements. A uniform displacement along the normals is one of the easiest.

Jakkar
11-21-2007, 05:28 AM
That's it! Point normal move did the trick. Built the complex capillaries thin and then made 'em thick and had a morph for my 2 sizes.
Thanks Larry!