PDA

View Full Version : Illegal arithmetic operation on data type

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
When I do an f9 render in layout, I am getting this message: (line 38 illegal arithmetic operation on data type)

I have tried eliminating certain objects from the scene by proccess of elimination and it seems to be caused by these certain objects created in modeler.

Everything had been just fine prior to yesterday. Now it seems some of my objects are corrupted or something.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated:help:

Lightwolf
11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
It looks like an error due to an LScript. Could you maybe post a screenshot of the error?

Cheers,
Mike

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes I will. Give me just a moment.

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Hope this works, I have not done this before.

Lightwolf
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Hope this works, I have not done this before.
The title bar is the clue here... it is the "Blotch.ls" script which is apparently borked. Blotch.ls is a shader script and an old one to boot. It serves more as a scripting example and has little practical use.

Cheers,
Mike

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
OK, How do I fix this Blotch.ls ? Do I have to reinstall lightwave?

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
How do I unbork it ?

Lightwolf
11-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I suppose it actually has a bug - as I said, it is old and more of an example than anything really useful.
You could of course try to fix it yourself - but that requires knowledge of LScript.

I doubt that a re-install will work. Report it to [email protected] and make sure to attach the scene and offending mesh.

You could also post the script here, maybe somebody with more LScript knowledge than I have can take a look at it (or more precisely, take a look at line 38).

Cheers,
Mike

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I also received another error message when I tried to save all objects

Lightwolf
11-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Yup, the same script. I assume it just doesn't work properly anymore.

Cheers,
Mike

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks Lightwolf, but isn't there some way to just recompile the script or something? Could a new one be added?

art
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Caddaraman: there is no need to recompile. you can actually look at the .ls file and see the code.
I just tried blotch.ls and it did not cause me any errors in 9.3. It looks like the variables are not being initialized properly or somehow (?) "lose" their values.

Can you post the screenshot of the parameters that you are using (radius, etc)

Lightwolf
11-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks Lightwolf, but isn't there some way to just recompile the script or something? Could a new one be added?
It is compiled when loaded, but that isn't the issue. It seems that it isn't compatible to the version of LW that you're using and thus require bug hunting and fixing.

Have a look at the .ls file in a text editor, it is a plain text script. That won't help though unless you're LScript savvy.

Cheers,
Mike

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I get this message when I try to load BLOTCH.LS

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Lightwolf, Thanks again. I have to sign off for now but will check back around 4 hours from now.

Appreciate the help

RedBull
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Can't you just remove Blotch.ls.

If you really want to get rid of the error, just remove Blotch.ls from the shader panel in the surface editor. Obviously if you don't know what Blotch is, there is no reason to have it attached to your objects. Remove it, and the error will be removed too.

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 07:52 PM
OK, Ok, OK, BLOTCH BLOTCH..........now I remember, I was fooling around with the shaders and applied blotch and forgot to remove it after experimenting around with it.

I am home right now and do not have access to the file but will remove the blotch shader in the morning.

Fellows, This laugh is on me. Thanks for jogging my memory and more importantly,

Thanks for the help

caddaraman
11-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Just to clarify my confusion, I applied the blotch shader to a few objects in my scene, however I did not see an obvious result from the shader (but forgot to remove it) Everything was fine for a while, I forgot about it and continued working.

When the error occurred, I thought it was a mesh issue as some of my ADA pedestrian ramps were a little sloppy. And when I started my process of eliminating one object at a time from the scene, I was convinced that it was an error with my modeling.

Phil
11-22-2007, 04:26 AM
It is a bug, though, if it is broken. Report it to [email protected], with content. Assuming it cannot be fixed, the plugin needs to be removed from the distribution.

RollerJesus
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Still a problem in 9.2 Win 32.