PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9.3.1 Now Available

WilliamVaughan
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
We’ve just wrapped up a maintenance release and want to let you know the LightWave 9.3.1 download is available to registered owners of LightWave v9. You’ll find this maintenance update provides improved reliability and speed enhancements to the additions made in LightWave v9.3. Our work continues as we develop further new features and enhancements for the LightWave v9 cycle. If you haven’t joined the Open Beta team, we just want to remind you again, this is the first place you get to experience the latest developments in LightWave. There are more exciting things on the way so, now is a good time to get in on the action.

Be sure to get your free LightWave v9.3.1 download available here: http://registration.newtek.com/

Your Friends at NewTek

moussepipi
11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
good job newtek ! we are waiting for the 9.4 now!;)

i can't download the "WHAT NEWS in 9.3.1"

particle / collision are now multicore?

thx

2BitSculptor
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Just finished the download. I'm still getting a "corrupt or invalid" zip error message.

Chuck

2BitSculptor
11-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I downloaded from the LW v 9.3 section, not the beta section... is there a difference? I noticed there still is no 64 bit version listed there.

Chuck

shakeyman
11-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Same problem here.
Winrar says: "Archive either in unknown format or damaged."

arsad
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
rename it to exe then it should work

But there are several problems with the installer. Even though I selected "custom install" and deselected "sentinel" (already installed) and SDK as I don't develop plugins...
the SDK got installed. The web help is installed automatically but does not refer to the right thing in Lightwave, when you click it it opens the Newtek page. Though it is installed on your computer. The web help itself only works with IE here, with Firefox I can't get it to open the pages whenever I click on the name in the content column.

Greenlaw
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Hmm...it's corrupted here too.

Edit: Just read the note about changing the extension to .exe, which does the trick.

DRG

tribbles
11-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Why do you do these updates the day after I download the previous version? :)

Nice work - will be looking forward to playing with it!

WilliamVaughan
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Looks like their working on the link....

*Pete*
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Looks like their working on the link....

send them off it and back to work with 9.4!!:devil:

2BitSculptor
11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
thnx! :bowdown:

Chuck

jb_gfx
11-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Where's the Win64 version? I can see only the Mac and the Win32 archives.

Limbus
11-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Still no 64 Bit Version and the ZIP (which is a EXE) is still 220 MB big. How hard can it be to release something in a smooth fashion without errors like this every time?

Lewis
11-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Yep I aslo don't see 64bit version???

Jure
11-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Looks like 64bit is included in the same installer. Just download 32bit and then you can choose whichever version you want to install. That's why the file is 220MB it seems.

*Pete*
11-21-2007, 03:23 AM
agreed, well done NT.

now i just need to get my hands on a 64 bit windows...got 64 bit cpu, 4 gb ram but 32 bit xp :(

Lewis
11-21-2007, 03:36 AM
That's pretty nice, since I use both. Downloading and bandwidth means nothing to me, so I'd rather have a complete single installer than several seperate installers.

Yay for NewTek :)

Yeah it's good for us who use 64bit OS but what with those who don't use 64bit :)? they have to download 100Mb extra for nothing since they can't use/install it ;).

Also it should be SPECIFIED on Download page that it's 64 bit and 32bit 'coz download link says it's 32bit only.

Limbus
11-21-2007, 03:53 AM
And the installer fails to create Icons for the 64 Bit Version on my computer.

Florian

2BitSculptor
11-21-2007, 06:54 AM
It seems, if you've got a 32 bit machine, it installs 32 straight out. I didn't see any options (I could have possibly just missed it)

Chuck

Lito
11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah the installer seems to have both versions included, but it seems to be missing the "Install Both" option.

cresshead
11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
great but if i want to install 32bit AND 64 bit [to get saslite and ah-celshder available on vista 64 plus the ability to render to quicktime on the 3dbit app on vista 64 ....can we do this??

or should i wait for a 'fixed' version or versions of installers?

Verlon
11-21-2007, 11:01 PM
the what's new link isn't working for me at all....

Glad this is finally done. Now *cracks whip* work can begin on LW9.next :devil:

Sekhar
11-21-2007, 11:28 PM
This is just the old 1291 with the docs/Sentinel included, right (i.e., not the "final" release)? I still see the nag license popup and the Help->About says it's 1291...

Sekhar
11-22-2007, 12:05 AM
This is just the old 1291 with the docs/Sentinel included, right (i.e., not the "final" release)? I still see the nag license popup and the Help->About says it's 1291...
Never mind, I was using the new beta license key...no nag popup with the regular keys.

sculptactive
11-22-2007, 03:14 AM
Well I have downloaded the 9.3.1 32bit version 3 times and all are corrupted.
It can't be me as I have downloaded the Speed Edit 1.5 and all other files with no problems.

BeeVee
11-22-2007, 03:27 AM
And have you changed the extension from .zip to .exe? For that to work you have to be able to see the .zip extension in the first place. If you don't then you need to go into Folder Options and turn off "Hide known file extensions".

B

Lewis
11-22-2007, 04:06 AM
Ben that's proper/correct information but why on earth NT can't rename that file/extension and no more such questons on forum :) :) :)??? Isn't that BETTER SOLUTION :)?

sculptactive
11-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Ben, sorted and thanks, but sooooooo unneccessary.

adhesiveX
11-22-2007, 07:06 AM
And have you changed the extension from .zip to .exe? For that to work you have to be able to see the .zip extension in the first place. If you don't then you need to go into Folder Options and turn off "Hide known file extensions".

Where do you find the folder options? Thanks for your help.

IMI
11-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Just curious - four months later, and this is a Point One update?

So, in a year we went from 9.0 to 9.3, and in a quarter of that time we went from 9.3 to 9.3.1?

And, the .zip file is actually supposed to be a .exe?

Am I getting this right?

So, I should be confident in installing this...why?

Ågrén
11-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Zip to exe, why ? Aimed at users of this forum ?

Exception
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Just curious - four months later, and this is a Point One update?

So, in a year we went from 9.0 to 9.3, and in a quarter of that time we went from 9.3 to 9.3.1?

You know, they spend very little time thinking about the version numbers and a lot of time about the things in the software. After 9.3 they felt it was time for a bug-squashing only release. Pernewtek usual, this wasn't a weekend-upgrade as intended but was drawn out with more and more bugs and issues addressed. The philosophy is that a features upgrade gets a point increase and a bugs upgrade a point.point upgrade.
9.3.1 could easily be called 9.4, however, it would upset some people because it kills perhaps 500 bugs and adds only minor features, and everyone is expecting big bang features to be added any moment.

Case in point, lw 9.3 was almost called lw 9.5, up until the very last moment. Look at the roster of changes, and you'll see that 9.3.1 is a good step ahead.

Added to that, and this is one of those 'oh brother' comments, but it's actually true... new infrastructure under the hood has been worked on so that for the next version more significant changes can take place. Remember they're converting an old application to a new one via a parrallel changeover method, swapping out new code for old code. Not all of it is directly mentionable in a features list but does impact the way the software works for future implementation and cooperation with 3rd party products.

Concerning the download and zip to exe thing, someone stuffed up bit since it's thanksgiving and general newtek-vacation time they all left the office running :)

Lewis
11-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Hehehe Exception is right in all but one thing. 9.3.1 squashed 105 bugs exactly (Chuck mentioned that) but rest is true ;).

AbnRanger
11-23-2007, 12:42 AM
agreed, well done NT.

now i just need to get my hands on a 64 bit windows...got 64 bit cpu, 4 gb ram but 32 bit xp :(
Windows has a 3GB Switch (google searching will yield a site with "How To" instructions) for regular XP....leaving System Resources with 1GB to run on...decent alternative until you are ready to run 8GB's of RAM and up

jin choung
11-23-2007, 12:51 AM
new infrastructure under the hood has been worked on so that for the next version more significant changes can take place. Remember they're converting an old application to a new one via a parrallel changeover method, swapping out new code for old code. Not all of it is directly mentionable in a features list but does impact the way the software works for future implementation and cooperation with 3rd party products.

fair enough but they can't expect any praise or hoopla for something that is not visible to users.

one of the prices of doing it this way is that they do a lot of work that cannot and should not get recognition because it has born no fruit.

so yah, until we see the evidence of all the undercover work -

"oh brother".

jin

bobakabob
11-23-2007, 04:42 AM
fair enough but they can't expect any praise or hoopla for something that is not visible to users.

one of the prices of doing it this way is that they do a lot of work that cannot and should not get recognition because it has born no fruit.

so yah, until we see the evidence of all the undercover work -

"oh brother".

jin

Hmmm, there's nothing wrong with healthy scepticism but wouldn't you rather have a robust stable app than broken bells and whistles? IMO LW is definitely moving in the right direction (albeit slowly).

ben martin
11-23-2007, 05:06 AM
Hmmm, there's nothing wrong with healthy scepticism but wouldn't you rather have a robust stable app than broken bells and whistles? IMO LW is definitely moving in the right direction (albeit slowly).
No doubt!
It's moving in the right direction since early 80's. :bangwall:
It has been a long and never ending walk to reach the expected standards in the first place.. but hey... like I said before... after 9 cycle I truly hope to continue being an happy Lightwave user, else (if we don't reach the expected standards in CA and other crippled areas), then "bye bye" LW.
Huh... maybe I'll keep it just as a Render-engine in my pipe-line! :question:

Exception
11-23-2007, 06:26 AM
jin

Oh Jin...
Always on the prowl for the negative, eh?

Oh brother.

theo
11-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Oh Jin...
Always on the prowl for the negative, eh?

Oh brother.

Lightwave dev does appear to be a but unexciting at the moment.

Bug irradication, after all, isn't going to make the ride more thrilling, it just makes the experience less troublesome.

I don't consider it to be out of line at all for folks to be in an anticipation state for the next Lightwave headrush.

I say a Lightwave hammer slamming into the left temple would do us all some good about now.:D

That's a metaphorical hammer, by the way. Not trying to wreck a buttload of sphincter muscles today. :D

Exception
11-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Lightwave dev does appear to be a but unexciting at the moment.

A bug squashing round usually is less exciting.

I don't consider it to be out of line at all for folks to be in an anticipation state for the next Lightwave headrush.
I say a Lightwave hammer slamming into the left temple would do us all some good about now.:D

Agreed.
However with 9.3.1 being released, that means that the new open beta with new features will be starting soon (as in any day now when everyone gets back from their holiday breaks), and there's some fun stuff in there, I'm sure ;)

DiedonD
11-23-2007, 07:58 AM
... and there's some fun stuff in there, I'm sure ;)

Catches Exception by surprise in the dark, ties him up, and then ties him on the chair, with a desk there, and light is pointing to him, with this what appears to be a grand interogation

Ok theres a hint you give us! HOW CAN YOU BE SO SURE!? WHAT DO YOU KNOW EXACTLY?! WHO TOLD YOU?! WAS YOUR CONTACT A RELIABLE SOURCE?! AND ABOVE ALL WHAT IS THERE IN BETA THAT IS AWAITING US THAT IS SO GOOD AND YOUR SO SURE OF IT?!!! WHO ARE YOU REALLY?!??! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ?!?!?! WHATS YOUR DESTINY?!?!?

manholoz
11-23-2007, 08:13 AM
OT: I liked Exception's "kiddie in the green Dinosaur suit" better. Is this an indication Exception has some deep insider knowledge along the lines of the insider knowledge of Gregg "T-Rex"?

The plot thickens....

As to 9.3.1

A bug-squashing release might not be exciting at first glance. But for anyone that has screamed curses that would shock drunken hooligans because your favourite application just crashed along with your unsaved work once again, a bug-squashing release it pretty exciting indeed.

theo
11-23-2007, 08:18 AM
OT: I liked Exception's "kiddie in the green Dinosaur suit" better. Is this an indication Exception has some deep insider knowledge along the lines of the insider knowledge of Gregg "T-Rex"?

The plot thickens....

As to 9.3.1

A bug-squashing release might not be exciting at first glance. But for anyone that has screamed curses that would shock drunken hooligans because your favourite application just crashed along with your unsaved work once again, a bug-squashing release it pretty exciting indeed.

9.3 without the .1 is actually and already amazingly stable.

...at least from this dark chamber.

mccabejc
11-23-2007, 08:37 AM
I think it's funny how in the bizzarro world of software, the whole concept of fixing bugs (that is, errors that the programmers made in the first place) is seen as so...acceptable. Did someone even say "exciting"?? How would folks feel if every Honda Accord that rolled off the line had a 100 bugs that affected usability?

Strange...

Lightwolf
11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
I think it's funny how in the bizzarro world of software, the whole concept of fixing bugs (that is, errors that the programmers made in the first place) is seen as so...acceptable.
That's because coding is a fairly new trade and while there are many guidelines to follow (with more or less problems) there are no accepted standards as there are in engineering.
There are coding concepts out there to limit the number of bugs... but they have the downside of being slow and difficult to implement.

Cheers,
Mike

IMI
11-23-2007, 09:20 AM
9.3.1 could easily be called 9.4, however, it would upset some people because it kills perhaps 500 bugs and adds only minor features, and everyone is expecting big bang features to be added any moment.

Case in point, lw 9.3 was almost called lw 9.5, up until the very last moment. Look at the roster of changes, and you'll see that 9.3.1 is a good step ahead.

Yes, you're right. I wasn't looking at it correctly. I was expecting after all this time since 9.3 that the next upgrade would have some new features added. No big deal - I'm patient, and bug squashing is always a good thing. :)

IMI
11-23-2007, 09:58 AM
So, is the LightWave v9.3 Discussions forum now going to be renamed LightWave v9.3.1 Discussions? ;)

andywright
11-23-2007, 12:43 PM
So, is the LightWave v9.3 Discussions forum now going to be renamed LightWave v9.3.1 Discussions? ;)

Hmmm, someone will have a job for life if they rename on every point release :thumbsup:

One thing I've learnt in my short 3D experioence is that all software has its glitches, bugs, undocumented features or anything else you like to call it :-) I will stick with Newtek, as at least they seem to be on a routine schedule of upgrades at the moment, and as long as that happens there is life in the product. Carrara is going through a similar bug squashing and feature adding cycle at the moment since the release of 6.0 (they are up to 6.03 two months on)

phile
11-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Thing is, if Newtek had held back the 9.3 release so that they could squash some more bugs, everyone would be yelling "give us 9.3 NOW!"

Instead, we get 9.3 and then gripe about bug fix releases.

Funny old world.

jin choung
11-23-2007, 02:38 PM
i'm not even talking about bug fixes. if there is some tangible result to be seen whether it is new features or a fixed bug - THAT is worthy to be celebrated.

i'm talking about all the "infrastructure" work that is being done "under the hood" that we, the users, have absolutely no access to whatsoever... being done evidently for the sake of a "parallel transition" or somesuch.

easy concept folks:

WHAT IS NOT SEEN COUNTS FOR NOTHING.

until it is seen.

jin

cessna
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Had the same problem. Tried to rename the file once it was download. Same error. Instead, when you request to download the LW9.3.1 update file, do the SAVE AS lw9.3.1_win32.exe , that worked!

Exception
11-23-2007, 06:09 PM
WHAT IS NOT SEEN COUNTS FOR NOTHING.

I can't see you so you must account for nothing. :D

Isn't that 1st grade logic operating right there?

riki
11-23-2007, 08:58 PM
9.3.1 is still in beta isn't it??

Also tried to download

LightWave v93 What's New Guide - What's new in the LightWave v9.3.1 beta release.

But getting an error, ps see attached.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I can't see you so you must account for nothing.

yes yes and when you close your eyes the whole world disappears.

<...clap... clap... clap...>

yes, that's EXACTLY what i meant. brilliant. hope you didn't strain yourself coming up with that.

it's only first grade logic to those with a first grade mind who can't understand the non-controversial statement in context... and can only take the most insipid conclusion from it.

jin

RedBull
11-24-2007, 01:44 AM
great but if i want to install 32bit AND 64 bit [to get saslite and ah-celshder available on vista 64 plus the ability to render to quicktime on the 3dbit app on vista 64 ....can we do this??

or should i wait for a 'fixed' version or versions of installers?

No you can install both 32/64 from the one package, without a problem.

It seems, if you've got a 32 bit machine, it installs 32 straight out. I didn't see any options (I could have possibly just missed it)

Chuck

Not for me, i just updated and got a message in the title bar, 64bit OS detected, but gave me options to install either 32 or 64bit, (obviously i installed 32, and then 64bit) I also did a custom install which gives the choice of SDK, Sentinel and Program itself. (Slow install though)

RedBull
11-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Thing is, if Newtek had held back the 9.3 release so that they could squash some more bugs, everyone would be yelling "give us 9.3 NOW!"

Instead, we get 9.3 and then gripe about bug fix releases.

Funny old world.

Well i won't complain about 9.31 for a bug release, it sure has eased a lot of my pain from the last week, iv'e had nothing but crashes while using (or attempting to) use Viper with various things, and i can now save presets from Taiki without a crash when saving a layer, preset or basically breathing the wrong way....

With 9.31 this have disappeared, so very happy with some of the bug squashing in this release.

bjornkn
11-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Is it more stable with FPrime too? LW9.3 used to crash a lot with editing nodes and FPrime running.
(I'm rendering a rather longish animation now, so I haven't installed 9.3.1 yet..)

Exception
11-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Is it more stable with FPrime too? LW9.3 used to crash a lot with editing nodes and FPrime running.
(I'm rendering a rather longish animation now, so I haven't installed 9.3.1 yet..)

Yes. Specific bugs have been addressed for Fprime to be more stable with image editor and editing surfaces and nodes.

Exception
11-24-2007, 07:35 AM
it's only first grade logic to those with a first grade mind who can't understand the non-controversial statement in context... and can only take the most insipid conclusion from it.

Always glad to have your cheerful self around, Jin. Where would we be without your unconstructive and unrelenting negativity towards anything and anyone?

Why do you waste your and our time here?
At least try to see the humor in some things. Lighten up.

bjornkn
11-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Yes. Specific bugs have been addressed for Fprime to be more stable with image editor and editing surfaces and nodes.
Great :)

Phil
11-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Although Fprime 3 still crashes under CFM LW if you are rude enough to delete images from surfaces :/ My limited understanding is that this is a LW bug, which can be worked around on Win32, but not on Mac (CFM or UB). So for now, we're stuck. And waiting for a UB version.

Here's hoping this is fixed in the next round so Worley has no blocking point for finally getting UB versions of their plugins out.

Cageman
11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
[I]Ok theres a hint you give us! HOW CAN YOU BE SO SURE!? WHAT DO YOU KNOW EXACTLY?! WHO TOLD YOU?! WAS YOUR CONTACT A RELIABLE SOURCE?! AND ABOVE ALL WHAT IS THERE IN BETA THAT IS AWAITING US THAT IS SO GOOD AND YOUR SO SURE OF IT?!!! WHO ARE YOU REALLY?!??! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ?!?!?! WHATS YOUR DESTINY?!?!?

Everyone who participates in the OB-forums will know wether Exception is teasing with a True or False statement. :P

Stooch
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Always glad to have your cheerful self around, Jin. Where would we be without your unconstructive and unrelenting negativity towards anything and anyone?

Why do you waste your and our time here?
At least try to see the humor in some things. Lighten up.

give it up man. clearly jin can piss farther than you.

Cageman
11-24-2007, 12:38 PM
give it up man. clearly jin can piss farther than you.

Have you looked at them when they pee? ;)

Exception
11-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Have you looked at them when they pee? ;)

I thought we wouldn't talk about that day, man...

Cageman
11-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I thought we wouldn't talk about that day, man...

Woops... sorry... I forgot.. :newhere:

jin choung
11-24-2007, 03:12 PM

hey man, you're the one that got off the issues and made it about me. negative or not, i talk about issues like i see 'em. if that doesn't jive with your pollyanna view of things fanboy, tough.

and don't exhort me to have a sense of humor when you step on my foot. why don't you try laughing when i mash your toes eh? lead by doing if you will.

awwwww, don't cry now.

you f with the bull you get the horns.

jin

Exception
11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
hey man, you're the one that got off the issues and made it about me. negative or not, i talk about issues like i see 'em. if that doesn't jive with your pollyanna view of things fanboy, tough.

Me? A fan boy?
That certainly makes me laugh.
And a whole lot of other people too.
I'm in your camp kid, with the critical lads, I just choose to be constructive about it.

Shows how well you know me.
Indeed, you do piss further. There's an electric fence up ahead. Can you reach that? :)

I made it about you because you it deserves to be made about you. I've seen you hang around the boards for months now spewing nothing constructive. When you responded to my message by basically repeating exactly what I has said before, While I had already pre-empted it with the message that it was going to be an 'oh brother' comment, then adding some more negativity to it without any additional information or insight (=non constructive), I decided to say something. Sometimes a troll needs to be put in its place, although I usually reserve that right to the troll hunters.
Anyway, you won the pissing match, I'll see if I can come up with a trophy of some sorts made out of pure negativity, but I can't promise anything.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
as i said, YOU made it about me. so don't try to cower back with a "have a sense of humor".... what's with people and their passive/aggressive cowardice.

your bile belies your appeal to humor.

if you want to fight a "troll" don't be all simpering and weepy and cry "awww, have a sense of humor" when the trolls stomps you.

jin

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Jin...Do you really not see the issue, when we all are complaining, or at least demanding for new features for LW, only you get critisized for it?
all who ask you to tone down arent necessarily fanboys..and if they are, it doesnt matter.
people dont react harsly on critisism, when it is constructive.
but people do react on your critisism..its not becouse of fanboys asking you to praise NT and LW, its becouse all of your posts are critisism, about everything..from religion in the eula of 3dbrush, to all the faults of LW and you even use "fanboy" as an insult to everyone who doesnt yell as loud as you do.
you dont critisised becouse you are always wrong..you get it becouse you do nothing but complain.

if i didnt know better, id think you to be a Norwegian (most complaining nation i seen)

Indeed, you do piss further. There's an electric fence up ahead. Can you reach that? :)

there was a funny Nokia (car tires) commercial about how the tires made driving too safe...the drivers had the need to get danger elsewhere...as pissing on a electric fence lol

Exception
11-24-2007, 04:02 PM
as i said, YOU made it about me. so don't try to cower back with a "have a sense of humor"....

I might have made it about you, but I wasn't personally insulting you.
That you choose to take something as 'stepping on your toes' must have been because you chose to jam your foot underneath mine, not because I stepped on it.

for someone who uses such strong language and is the first to call anyone pretty much anything, you sure are touchy.

your bile belies your appeal to humor.

Bile is something that does not apply to my posts.

if you want to fight a "troll" don't be all simpering and weepy and cry "awww, have a sense of humor" when the trolls stomps you.

Oh, stomping. We're physically fighting now?
Jin, grow up.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Jin...Do you really not see the issue, when we all are complaining, or at least demanding for new features for LW, only you get critisized for it?
all who ask you to tone down arent necessarily fanboys..and if they are, it doesnt matter.
people dont react harsly on critisism, when it is constructive.
but people do react on your critisism..its not becouse of fanboys asking you to praise NT and LW, its becouse all of your posts are critisism, about everything..from religion in the eula of 3dbrush, to all the faults of LW and you even use "fanboy" as an insult to everyone who doesnt yell as loud as you do.

again, WHO started it?

i am almost ALWAYS EXACTLY ON TOPIC, talking about the issue. i DON'T make it personal till someone else does.

HARSH CRITICISM - MAY- BE... but, it's not directed at people. it's directed at lw. as i said, i call it as i see it. GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS. what is sooooo overwhelmingly negative?!

what is so UNCONSTRUCTIVE?!

it's easy to villify me and caricature me but go back and read what i write.

BUT PEOPLE MAKE THIS PERSONAL. the transgression is not with me. seriously!

if i'm wrong, if what i say has no merit, prove me wrong. engage on the issue.

instead, people get mad and come at me. what am i to do then?

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh, stomping. We're physically fighting now?
Jin, grow up.

in the sense that you "fighting" me, a "troll", is not physically fighting me, my "stomping" you is not physically fighting either.

did either of us some how reach through the broadband lines and lay a punch?

what are you talking about?!

sigh....

jin

tyrot
11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
dear pete

there is a difference between "complaining" and "chounging"

we all complain...i was complaining ..exception was complaining...but it didnt keep exception to make great contribution to this community just like many other users.

for example pooby was the master of complaints in character animation related issues, but in other thread he also came up with an amazing workaround for LW character animation and he once again proved his sincere, professional approach to issues we all face with...

Strangely complainers in this community usually the best guys in their field because they see so many problems than any average user and may be because of that they look for solutions, workarounds..and they share their results with no hesitation..This keeps everything so cool in this community.

But CHOUNGING is something different. It starts within multi-threads in almost sametime, he pops up in everycorner just like a omnipotent creature...and starts chounging. Do you get any solution to the choungts? No because the chounging fella is not bringing anything on table....all you can find ..the words, the capital letters, the gigantic ego show off in multi threads...the keen review of 3D industry etc etc...you name it...you ve been in those threads...

In chounging we are not human, we are not unique butterflies, we are all Fanboys...

Best

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:14 PM
btw,

re: name calling... again, why am i targeted for bad behavior? he called me a troll first.

if someone starts up with me...

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
dear pete

we all complain...i was complaining ..exception was complaining...but it didnt keep exception to make great contribution to this community just like many other users.

for example pooby was the master of complaints in character animation related issues, but in other thread he also came up with an amazing workaround for LW character animation and he once again proved his sincere, professional approach to issues we all face with...

Strangely complainers in this community usually the best guys in their field because they see so many problems than any average user and may be because of that they look for solutions, workarounds..and they share their results with no hesitation..This keeps everything so cool in this community.

But CHOUNGING is something different. It starts within multi-threads in almost sametime, he pops up in everycorner just like a omnipotent creature...and starts chounging. Do you get any solution to the choungts? No because the chounging fella is not bringing anything on table....all you can find ..the words, the capital letters, the gigantic ego show off in multi threads...the keen review of 3D industry etc etc...you name it...you ve been in those threads...

In chounging we are not human, we are not unique butterflies, we are all Fanboys...

Best

again, a random and personal attack.

it's not me with the bad behavior folks.

and at least i can stand on my own instead of trying to dogpile. good for you. takes real guts to do that.

ahhh, the blood lust of crowds.

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:23 PM
oh, and just as a reminder, go back to the post that evidently caused this little ruckus.

is this REALLY my fault?! is what i said REALLY so horrible?

seriously... wtf.

jin

Exception
11-24-2007, 04:32 PM
oh, and just as a reminder, go back to the post that evidently caused this little ruckus.

I think it started when you resorted to saying I had a 1st grade mind.

If you want to go further back, we might have to dig a few months back into the search engine.
Which sucks.

So that's doomed to fail. :)

In any case, this has lasted long enough. If you have a personal thing to work out, please send me a PM.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 04:33 PM
no.... it started with YOU saying i was using 1st grade logic.

to which you wanted me to have a "sense of humor" about... funny.

jin

IMI
11-24-2007, 04:35 PM

is this REALLY my fault?! is what i said REALLY so horrible?

seriously... wtf.

jin

I don't know, man, you must enjoy it or something, considering you seem more likely than anyone else here to end up on the receiving end of it... and do, often. ;)

Note - this is not an attack, just an observation - as has been pointed out, other people complain without drawing fire for it. I was one of the first in this thread to complain - and it wasn't particularly civil, what I said - but didn't get attacked for it. *shrug*

arsad
11-24-2007, 04:35 PM
njanja njanja njanja, hey its kindergarden time again!

Medi8or
11-24-2007, 05:01 PM
.. trying to dogpile.Hey, no dogpile here!
Catpile (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/vampkatt/WeekendCatpile.jpg)! :cat:

(mmm.. first catpile picture I found, but what the heck.. )

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know, man, you must enjoy it or something, considering you seem more likely than anyone else here to end up on the receiving end of it... and do, often. ;)

Note - this is not an attack, just an observation - as has been pointed out, other people complain without drawing fire for it. I was one of the first in this thread to complain - and it wasn't particularly civil, what I said - but didn't get attacked for it. *shrug*

go back and look at the stuff that's written - it's all there in b&w. i'm talking about lw and the issue at hand.

somebody gets mad and takes that personal and they make it personal.

that's the pattern.

the lack of maturity there doesn't lie with me. they don't take me on on the issue at hand. they don't or can't prove me wrong. either that or they just plain don't like my TONE... that i don't use the SANDWICH METHOD (fluff, meat, fluff) and i don't preface everything with "in my most humble and kowtowy grovelly opinion"... and handhold and coddle the critique like i'm talking to a particularly dim second grader. tough.

so they make it about me.

and when i fight back, then i get painted as the bad actor. shrug.

also, they tend to act in groups or packs... huddled together for protection... so i guess if i step on the toes of one, everybody else comesarunnin'....

hilarious.

whatever.

jin

Exception
11-24-2007, 05:14 PM
so they make it about me.

You can just call me by my name. I have several. "They" is not one of them.

Stop acting like the hurt outcast. Just take it in stride, we all have to at some point or other. Heck, I have on numerous occasions.

Perhaps sometimes other people have a point.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:16 PM
njanja njanja njanja, hey its kindergarden time again!

haven't you been paying attention? FIRST GRADE! NOT kindergarten! this is waaaaaaaay beyond kindergarten.

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:21 PM
You can just call me by my name. I have several. "They" is not one of them.

Stop acting like the hurt outcast. Just take it in stride, we all have to at some point or other. Heck, I have on numerous occasions.

Perhaps sometimes other people have a point.

ugh. who the f is acting like the hurt outcast? i'm addressing all comers and right now, in this thread, it's more than you.

are you even reading what else is being written?

jin

Exception
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
ugh. who the f is acting like the hurt outcast? i'm addressing all comers and right now, in this thread, it's more than you.

Oh that's interesting. Right here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622198&postcount=81) you say "no.... it started with YOU saying i was using 1st grade logic."
I'm pretty sure you addressed me in there. You insinuate the whole thing started with me, and you've been addressing me for the last 15 posts. Now 1 post later suddenly it's all 'they'. Stick with it.

In any case, you might want to try to get your head around the difference between pointing out a fallacy in someone's logic and saying that someone uses flawed logic. And it certainly doesn't compare to calling someone as having a flawed mind.

Like I said, if you have an issue with me, you can PM me. This is not the place for arguments of this nature. But I'm sure you want to have the last word.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:51 PM
wtf man... my reply was to IMI and what he said, NOT you.

can't a man talk about more than one thing at the same time?

yes, you DID start this.

yes, there IS a "they" that pete and others speak of. yes, there is a pissant tyrot that decided to jump in for the f of it.

where are you getting lost?

and stop trying to hide between fine distinctions in meaning - your post was intended to be snide and derogatory. i CORRECTLY INTERPRETED IT AS SUCH and responded appropriately.

i have no intention of PMing you... are you mad? you started the argument, if you want it to stop, all you got to do is stop.

jin

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 05:52 PM
dear pete

right...thanks for correcting me, complaints arent bad..really, its simply a part of evolution of anything that can/will/should progress/improve.

Chounging is a new word for me, but i fully understand the meaning of it...ahem, much thanks to the examples so clearly visible here ;)
Nice cat btw...yours?

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Jin, if you feel that you are getting personally attacked while pointing out valid faults, try doing so without using capital letters, over the net nobody can hear you scream..but we can see it, capital letters mean screaming.

so, if you TONE IT DOWN!!!..you perhaps will not get taken that offensively, unless that is the purpose.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
"the examples clearly visible here?"... of my fighting back when attacked?

you're the epitome of fair judgment.

whatever.

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Jin, if you feel that you are getting personally attacked while pointing out valid faults, try doing so without using capital letters, over the net nobody can hear you scream..but we can see it, capital letters mean screaming.

so, if you TONE IT DOWN!!!..you perhaps will not get taken that offensively, unless that is the purpose.

it is my convention to use caps as emphasis.

i do not interpret that as screaming. i have explained in many previous posts where my habit comes from.

so merely using CAPS is more villainous than beginning personal attacks?!

that's hilarious.

if that is the height of my sin that brings on wave after wave of galaga like children that can't address the issue and instead make personal attacks... heck, i'll own that.

jin

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
fighting back when attacked, sure..but why are you getting attacked?

Exception
11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
and stop trying to hide between fine distinctions in meaning - your post was intended to be snide and derogatory. i CORRECTLY INTERPRETED IT AS SUCH and responded appropriately.

This is called paranoia.
You're biting your own tail.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 06:06 PM
all you have to do is go back a few pages and see.

yeah, why am i getting attacked?

look, you're trying to make it reasonable that i keep getting attacked personally.

you're wrong.

i talk about lw. people take that personally.

that's not my problem.

that is their immaturity to identify their self-esteem for some reason with an application for f's sake.

jin

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 06:07 PM
i do not interpret that as screaming.

but we do...when my wife gets stressed, she is screaming, yelling and accusing everyone for everything, but she doesnt interpret it either as screaming and cant see how it can be her fault, when people turn hostile towards her.

anyway, what ever your reasons for using capitals are, i do read it as loud high voice, agressive yelling..and your avatar/picture adds to that, really...those puppies are hard to see and you seem very angry instead.

we are all very visual people, otherwise we would not work with or have a hobby with 3D graphics.
you see my cat?..the look of the cat, i feel, is making my post seem more harsh than i would wish..evil, somehow.

as i mentioned to you earlier, in an other thread..its not the words you say, its how you say them.

use of capital letters (screaming) and your angry looking avatar gives the impression that you are incredibly agressive and loud..and, to add to that impression is your only complaing posts.

you simply give an impression that perhaps you are not aware of.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
This is called paranoia.
You're biting your own tail.

puhleez. are you denying that you meant to be snide and derogatory?

people say that my simple use of caps have a way of implying things.

what can be said about your language? how am i supposed to interpret that. am i INCORRECT in interpreting it the way i did?!

ugh.

puhleez.

if you're gonna attack, at least own it.

jin

jin choung
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM

you realize this is not a great defense for people making personal attacks right?

if you agree with those who make personal attacks, fine... go ahead, jump in.

but don't try to excuse it for heaven's sake.

as i said, if my sin is capitalization (and some shortsighted folk being unable to see my avatar clearly)... all i can say is...

from the bottom of my heart: "whatever".

jin

Exception
11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
puhleez. are you denying that you meant to be snide and derogatory?

Yes.
Where am I being snide and derogatory?

And why would I? Have you seen me be snide and derogatory before?

That's not my style. I call a spade a spade. I have no use for backhand measures.

You have misinterpreted (and on the internet it is a choice to misinterpret postings), and have acted in bad faith by starting a name calling game.

Even if you think someone is being snide and derogatory, why don't you consider the option that it's actually not before you start a flame war?

You keep saying "personal attacks", but if you read back, you'll see that the first time anyone says something of that order is you.
When someone points out that capitalizations offends them, then kinds explains why, all you can say is "whatever"? How can you possibly maintain you're not being obtuse and not giving one little bit about anyone's thoughts or feelings but your own?

jin choung
11-24-2007, 06:22 PM
i don't need to defend myself in this.

what you wrote is plain and insulting.

if you meant to challenge the logic of the statement, you could have chosen any number of different methods to do so inoffensively.

i am not a hypersensitive person. but that was insulting.

hey, and if we're playing this game, i didn't explicitly say that you had a mind of a first grader either.... only "those who..."... i can't help it if you identify yourself with "those".

we can go round and round.

jin

arsad
11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
haven't you been paying attention? FIRST GRADE! NOT kindergarten! this is waaaaaaaay beyond kindergarten.

jin

I guess you like to misinterpret!
Did I mention anything about referring to your first grade insult?
I was talking about the kindergarten behavior which appeared in this thread.

jin choung
11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
arsad,

that was a joke. i'm saying we're waaaaaay more mature than kindergarten... we're FIRST GRADE!

see?

ludicrous thing to say.

joke.

jin

p.s. that's another thing... i don't like using insipid smileys everywhere when i'm obviously joking. but if confused, i'll explain myself.

arsad
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Ok I guess I didn't get it, English is only my third language.
Obviously I don't know the American/English educational system enough.
So my bad. Thanks for explaining.

Got to improve my english... first "gay Paris" then this...

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Jin, i read your posts better now, thanks for trying to write without capitals.:thumbsup:
as for the continued discussion..would everybody, please, behave.

what ever was the orginal point of this thread, is not there anymore..now it is simply name calling and hurt feelings across the board, unnecessary...we are all adults, and should know how to behave.

few things happen without a reason, everything..from ww2, 9/11, to global warming, to personal attacks against people on this forum..has its reasons behind them.
to prevent history repeating itself, you have to learn mistakes made in the past, otherwise nothing changes.

im not saying it only to Jin, but to all parts here, luckily we have a forum where written things stay and all parts involved in a fight, can trace themselfs back and see if there has been mistakes made at some point.
we, as adult human beings, should be able to adjust our way to be, in order to fit in among others...its a skill we learn as kids when we fight about, well...everything and for no real reasons.

*Pete*
11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
that was a joke. i'm saying we're waaaaaay more mature than kindergarten... we're FIRST GRADE!

hah..kindergarden is full of innocence..the fighting starts at first grade, and gets worse and worse untill you are somewhere at 6th or 7th grade when it is all about being cooler than others and getting all the chicks...youll fight less, and only over jealousy issues.

Hopper
11-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Sorry to interrupt your hijacked thread, but Lightwave 9.3.1 is now available (just in case you didn't see the thread title).

buttheads... :D

jin choung
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok I guess I didn't get it, English is only my third language.
Obviously I don't know the American/English educational system enough.
So my bad. Thanks for explaining.

Got to improve my english... first "gay Paris" then this...

no problemo.

jin

axaboss
11-24-2007, 11:08 PM
LightWave! Earth to LightWave! Do you hear me? LightWave!

Limbus
11-25-2007, 10:32 AM
On the Download page it still says that it is the 32 Bit Version while it contains both. And the file still end with .zip while it is and .exe and anyone needs to renami it by hand. I didn't really thing, that it can take this long to fix it but I guess I was wrong.

andywright
11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I am getting the corrupted archive message after trying to download 9.3.1 today (Windows 32 bit file). Guess it will have to wait til later next week :grumpy:

Interesting reading the goings on on here last few days...been a while since I saw a flame war on technical forum, last one was on Eovias site when Daz were about to take over and it was all doom and gloom. Turned out they weren't so evil as everyone seemed to think :devil:

Ivan D. Young
11-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Newtek still has not corrrected the downloads? Yet?

Exception
11-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I am getting the corrupted archive message after trying to download 9.3.1 today (Windows 32 bit file). Guess it will have to wait til later next week :grumpy:

Have you tried renaming the zip to an .exe?

bjornkn
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Newtek still has not corrrected the downloads? Yet?It is only 5 days since the error was discovered, so I guess we'll have to wait for at least a week? It is a bit strange that they can fix 100+ bugs but not rename a file ;)
It would be nice if they added the WhatsNew/Fixed file at the same time.

phile
11-25-2007, 12:45 PM
It's Thanksgiving weekend in the States. The chances of there being anyone around at Newtek to fix the mistakes with the download before Monday are minimal I would think.

RedBull
11-25-2007, 02:57 PM

The Readme mentions all the bug fixes when installing.

bjornkn
11-25-2007, 03:10 PM
The Readme mentions all the bug fixes when installing.
I guess I just didn't read enough lines in the first place.

Stooch
11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
as i mentioned to you earlier, in an other thread..its not the words you say, its how you say them.

use of capital letters (screaming) and your angry looking avatar gives the impression that you are incredibly agressive and loud..and, to add to that impression is your only complaing posts.

HAHAHAHAH

jin dude, just dont worry about the whiners and keep trucking. lol.
p.s. your avatar looks fine. its anything but angry and i also dont consider caps as yelling. its emphasis for me as well. What im seeing here is the classic and highly annoying case of people telling others how they expect them to behave to suit their personal style. If you take away all the personal discussion out of this whole argument, jin has by far the most logical points on his side. this is starting to look like a luxology thread to be honest. if you dont like the tone of someone or their way of voicing their pov then just dont talk to them, as you would in real life.

by the way, i suspect that all the whiners here dont really get out much and wouldnt dare to try this righteous BS face to face. i think alot of this stems from a lack of sense of personal empowerment, so they have to vent in a forum where they feel more secure. its sad really but seems to happen on all forums.

but seriously we have people here bitching about using caps and personal avatars??? WTF. i mean, step back for a second and consider the ridiculousness...

stib
11-26-2007, 06:00 AM
t is only 5 days since the error was discovered, so I guess we'll have to wait for at least a week? It is a bit strange that they can fix 100+ bugs but not rename a file

Well since Newtek have been posting the wrong version of the Sentinel drivers for over a year, I wouldn't hold your breath about them fixing stuff like that funky download link. I'd recommend cutting the rum ration at NT, and a few good floggings if I was bosun.

BeeVee
11-26-2007, 06:14 AM
The download for the Windows version has Sentinel 7.4.0 with it...

B

dingebre
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm getting a corrupt archive error on the 32 bit windows version, too. I've downloaded 3 times with the same result.

dingebre
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm getting a corrupt archive error on the 32 bit windows version, too. I've downloaded 3 times with the same result.

Ahhhhhhmmmmm, ignore this please. Too late to edit.... I found the post about rename the ZIP to and EXE extension. Life is good again.

stib
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah, but the link to the sentinel installer that's on the page is 7.1.1

it's still a .zip file, not an .exe

Sometimes I think they want to fail.

Ivan D. Young
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah, I have to agree with that sentiment! I get the feeling that not everyone at Newtek has LW's best intentions at heart. Once you get past Proton, Chuck, and Jay and his team, there seems to be a big drop off of LW love at Newtek. Why do you think that is?

jin choung
11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Sometimes I think they want to fail.

truly...

just little things.

LITTLE things like this....

i mean, come on!

jin

evenflcw
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Life is good again.
Until the next guy comes along.

This is still an issue? They had a week to rename the file already. What is the ******* problem?

It's really sad to see what really is a happy occasion be dragged in the mud by such a silly mistake and highly unprofessional behavior. The LW development team has done a great job squashing bugs. They are the best, most serious and responsive LW devteam ever! Whoever is responsible for uploading the file, those able to but unwilling to rename it and management come of as complete morons for not being aware of and getting this very dumbass error fixed. They're not only insulting their own workers by not respecting their work, their insulting everyone who tries to do an honest days work every day by not doing the same. No wonder LW developers leave NT en masse.

This is stupid. Feel free to delete my forum account. I see little point in supporting LW here when NT doesn't even bother. Jerks!

Dexter2999
11-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay, without picking sides....

jin you made some remarks that could be construed as inflammatory....as you often do.

Exception, you took one half of jin's statement out of context and said he was using first grade logic which could be intimated as calling him either stupid or juvenille.

The statement was "what isn't seen isn't important...until it is seen" I read that to understand that jin was hinting that the fixes may have implications that are greater than what we initially find.

Of course I could be wrong in my interpretation.

The update I'm fine with. The wrong file extension on the distribution is kind of slip shod. I think the 9.x progression has been pretty quick. A since I'm not paying for them, I will take them as they come and not complain they aren't faster.

A little gratitude people. Honestly, we payed for 9.0 and if you didn't get one single point upgrade you got your money's worth. If they wanted they could compile all these revolutionary upgrades and make you all pay for the LW 10!

Maxx
11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Until the next guy comes along.

This is still an issue? They had a week to rename the file already. What is the ******* problem?

It's really sad to see what really is a happy occasion be dragged in the mud by such a silly mistake and highly unprofessional behavior. The LW development team has done a great job squashing bugs. They are the best, most serious and responsive LW devteam ever! Whoever is responsible for uploading the file, those able to but unwilling to rename it and management come of as complete morons for not being aware of and getting this very dumbass error fixed. They're not only insulting their own workers by not respecting their work, their insulting everyone who tries to do an honest days work every day by not doing the same. No wonder LW developers leave NT en masse.
As I understand from comments gleaned here and there around the forums, NT has their own website designer, but use another company to handle the hosting and - this is what's inexplicable - the uploads. Where this idiotic idea comes from is beyond me. The idea that there's not a single person within the "walls" (in quotes on purpose because I know that the dev team is in located in different places around the globe) that can't fathom the workings of an ftp program is quite simply ridiculous. Seriously, guys, get a simple hosting account and handle the uploads - idiot mistakes like this could be avoided.

This is stupid.
Yes. Yes it is.

*edit* - btw - I do agree that this development team is doing an incredible job. Which is why I can't believe that not a damned one of them has ever seen CuteFTP or Filezilla or even Dreamweaver before...

*Pete*
11-26-2007, 10:46 PM
As I understand from comments gleaned here and there around the forums, NT has their own website designer, but use another company to handle the hosting

yes, and to my understanding, a download has to be a .zip and not .exe in order to work(?), and THAT is the reason for someone being clever and renaming the extension of the file into .zip...something that most people who used computer more than a week should be able to understand wont work.

how it happens, i cant understand, but perhaps NT can only be blamed for not testing the download...the file extension change could have been done within the download company.

jin choung
11-26-2007, 11:28 PM
we don't actually know who the "idiot" is.... it might not be as far removed as we might hope and so we should reign it in until the "idiot" can be properly identified as someone in some random third party hosting company.

jin

SP00
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I think everyone went on vacation, so maybe they will have this fix in the next few days. After all, they probably uploaded it and rush out the door for the holidays. Still, its kinda embarrassing to leave it the way it is.

Verlon
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Hmm, this thread becomes hard to read at a point.....

"If I don't see it, it counts for nothing," or "Newtek cannot expect praise for something that isn't apparent to the user," seems to me a rather limited viewpoint. And, how do we handle limited viewpoints, class? That's right...with a car analogy...

I am shopping for a car. I want something extra SAFE for my family. Volvo has a reputation for safety, so I talk to those guys, and find that their cars have enhanced crumple zones, more airbags than a political rally, and anti-lock brakes. After shopping around for a bit, I decide that a Volvo is the safest option for my family (and that was my priority)....only I never have a crash. Now this MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be due to the anti-lock brakes, but there is no way of knowing.

My car might not have any airbags or crumple zones for all of my experience, but I DID pay for them (sheesh, Volvo's can get expensive), and was glad they were there for the life of the car.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I could never hope to intelligently expand on a car analogy (I can barely drive a stick), but here goes:

I appreciate all the "under the hood" accomplishments since the new team took over, but I also feel it is time, at long last, to take Lightwave 9.x on the open road and show us what she can do.

What exactly have the Newtek guys been doing in the garage all these years?

*Pete*
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
seen "pimp my ride"?..thats what people expect, take a junk car and turn it into every teenagers dream, with tv's everywhere of course..

Chris S. (Fez)
11-27-2007, 01:46 AM
seen "pimp my ride"?..thats what people expect, take a junk car and turn it into every teenagers dream, with tv's everywhere of course..

**** TVs. I will be dissapointed if Lightwave 9.X is not a Monster Truck with wings and nitrous rockets attached.

Verlon
11-27-2007, 02:51 AM
My point, of course, is that some features we really appreciate are ones we never use...or at least HOPE we never use.

Do I CARE if my car has air bags and seat belts and anti-lock brakes? Absolutely. Do I want to test them? Nope. I'd much rather test driving, comfort, or the stereo.

If I NEVER experience an airbag deployment, that's fine with me. Airbags can remain in the semi-mythical, under-the-hood, enhnacements category, and I'll be quite happy.

Newtek tells me they are making 'under the hood' improvements in Lightwave to make it easier to improve. Now, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely zero experience working on the lightwave code. Sadly, I have not written a single line on any version of Lightwave.

So I pretty much have to take their word for it when they tell me what they are doing. If there weren't many improvements to be found in LW9, 9.3, and even 9.3.1, then I might have cause to doubt. But there ARE many improvements...

The rendering is faster, and noticeably so. Nodal textures are a big deal. Now they haven't gotten around to everything *I* want, but I am not the only user they work to please.

Given what they have done from 9.0 to 9.3.1, I think I can wait and see what is coming next before I complain about how cheated I was.

theo
11-27-2007, 06:29 AM
I guess my biggest concern is that Lightwave doesn't become an advanced version of a years-wallowing Strata Studio. Great little prog but it just never truly advanced beyond 1996.

*Pete*
11-27-2007, 07:13 AM
airbags = stability.

you wont notice it, untill you crash.

GandB
11-27-2007, 07:19 AM
So....did the file extension name get fixed yet?

LW_Will
11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Proton Said:

"We’ve just wrapped up a maintenance release and want to let you know the LightWave 9.3.1 download is available to registered owners of LightWave v9."

and...

Looks like their working on the link...

:question:

Wow... shouldn't that be "we are working on the link"?

Or maybe... "Newtek has just wrapped up work on a maintenance release..."

Please... get your pronouns right. :angel:

Chris S. (Fez)
11-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I don't consider Lightwave especially stable. I think the catmull-clark subds, the edge-centric toolset, the hub and other areas are all in dire need of a tuneup, if not a total replacement.

For modeling especially, I am simply more productive in other programs.

9.3.1 looks like it is going to go a long way in terms of stability fixes but I would really like to see some evidence of innovation and consolidation.

airbags = stability.

you wont notice it, untill you crash.

Chuck
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
On behalf of NewTek, our apologies for the confusion created by the choice of the IT staff to rename the Win32/64 Installer file rather than to zip up the file for a hard coded link that required the filetype to be a zip. The file has been zipped now, and the informational text for the link has been revised to indicate that the installer is for both Win 32 and Win 64 OSes. The filename is still hard-coded to indicate Win32, but IT will be recoding the page as soon as practical to allow for a more correct filename, and preferably more flexibility in file naming. We apologize as well that due to the holiday and staff scheduling that correcting this issue went unaddressed until today.

axaboss
11-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I understand things, like this screw up, can happen; but I don't think the rest of the crowd is going to let this go away so easily. It worked for me as soon as I switched out ZIP for EXE as mentioned by other users. No harm done.

vashts
11-27-2007, 04:04 PM
On behalf of NewTek, our apologies for the confusion created by the choice of the IT staff to rename the Win32/64 Installer file rather than to zip up the file for a hard coded link that required the filetype to be a zip. The file has been zipped now, and the informational text for the link has been revised to indicate that the installer is for both Win 32 and Win 64 OSes. The filename is still hard-coded to indicate Win32, but IT will be recoding the page as soon as practical to allow for a more correct filename, and preferably more flexibility in file naming. We apologize as well that due to the holiday and staff scheduling that correcting this issue went unaddressed until today.
I understand all the time it required to fix this terrible issue because of the holiday, but I really don't excuse IT division for doing this thing. and I really hope they will be up with the new page tomorrow, because it requires few hours (2h with full testing is my estimate.. and I code websites in ASP for hobby..) to "recode" a page (if a total new registration isn't planned, I'm sure they are going to modify few lines of code of Downloads.aspx page..)
I'm really disappointed by NewTek IT staff, and it isn't only because of this (huge) error.. hope they understand this and begin to work more seriously and professionally. :tsktsk:

and I remember NewTek that there isn't an annunce in frontpage for the release of 9.3.1.. we know about it because we're browsing the forum, but the world needs to know that NT has released another version of LW, that devteam is working hard, and then I want to see a news reported in every CG related website..

vashts

Ivan D. Young
11-27-2007, 05:16 PM
All I can say is Thank God, Chuck is holding down the fort!:bowdown: Thank you very much for all your work Chuck! I am sure that the LWers are happy you are there.

SP00
11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
All I can say is Thank God, Chuck is holding down the fort!:bowdown: Thank you very much for all your work Chuck! I am sure that the LWers are happy you are there.

This installer is pretty cool and the new help system is much easier to understand. Thanks to the programmers for this. I just wish it was automatically linked to the F1 key. Right now F1 does not work. Please have this corrected Chuck. Thanks. Maybe the installer should be part of the beta test?

Grant Wilson
12-08-2007, 04:53 AM
Has anyone tried ZIP'ing the LW9.3.1 (for Windows) download to see if it can be made much smaller? The Mac versions are about a tenth of the size! I'm sadly on dial-up, and a 20-something MB download is obviously more feasible than a 200-something MB file!

If it can be done, perhaps someone wouldn't mind uploading the smaller file somewhere for me! Ta!

SP00
12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
The Windows version is over 200 Megs because it contains the 32-bit, 64-bit and the Lightwave Help files. So right now, you will probably have to live with the longer download.

sword1
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
If it can be done, perhaps someone wouldn't mind uploading the smaller file somewhere for me! Ta!

Hmmmmm........

Digital Hermit
12-09-2007, 09:39 AM
...but seriously we have people here bitching about using caps and personal avatars??? WTF. i mean, step back for a second and consider the ridiculousness...

Or you guys could do what I do when I get angry... just keep it balled up inside... and when it comes to rear its ugly head, just push it down and keep smiling! :D

:devil:(tick-tock-tick-tock):devil:

Grant Wilson
12-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Hmmmmm........

I don't understand your response?

The Windows version is over 200 Megs because it contains the 32-bit, 64-bit and the Lightwave Help files. So right now, you will probably have to live with the longer download.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Newtek would be able to make a download that isn't quite so huge, by excluding all the help files and anything else that is unecessary. They managed to get the 9.3.0 upgrade squished to 43MB, and both 9.3.1 Mac downloads are even less than that.

A 'longer download' is just not an option for me I'm afraid - the current huge file would take me over 30hrs to download - if the connection isn't lost (I'd have to restart the download as DAP can't be used). And here in Zimbabwe, I'm almost guaranteed a power-cut before even 12 hrs is up :(

Newtek?

kevinone
12-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Grant It took me 1.5 times to download it on dial-up; was half way through and they changed the file; so I feel your pain! I use IDM(internet down load manager) works great, I think he still has a trial you could try.

vashts
12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I use IDM(internet down load manager) works great, I think he still has a trial you could try.
FDM (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) (Free Download Manager) is free and it's quite good. well.. it's free and does what it was created for.. :D

vashts