PDA

View Full Version : How to simulate a roll of carpet being unrolled

keith23
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I'm having trouble animating a roll of material (like carpet) as it rolls across the floor and leaves the flat material behind as it goes.

Showing the roll of material rolling across the floor is no problem. The problem is showing the flat material as it comes off the roll. I started by having the roll of material as one object, and the flat material that has just come off the roll as a second object. I then tried to scale the flat material in the X direction (in graph editor, over 100 or so frames) to simulate it as it comes off the roll. What happens though, is that the whole object moves as it is scaled, instead of just one side. I need one side to stay put while the other side "follows" the roll of material. BTW, the material comes off the bottom of the roll, not the top. I hope that's not too confusing!

I originally posted this in Tips & Techniques but only got one reply. They suggested using bones to solve the problem, but I have zero experience with bones. Would this be the best approach? I've already searched for a simple bones tutorial and cannot find one. I'm using LW 7.5, btw. Can anyone help, please?

4dartist
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
You could have the unrolled carpet already in it's final position all rolled out and have the rolling carpet roll over it. Then, to get the effect that the flat carpet is coming out, you animate the transparency of the flat carpet so that whatever is ahead of the rolling object is invisible and whatever is after is opaque. I've done this for a few different projects.

there are about 50 ways to animate the transparency. The easiest maybe to just have a half black half white image (set to edge instead of repeat) as a clip map or transparency channel image, and animate the position. To see that it is animated correctly i usually stick it in the color channel and animate it then when its right, i'd copy it and dump it back in transparency.

Surrealist.
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Take a look at this tutoria (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/animation/unroll/index.html)l also.

keith23
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Cool!
Many thanks to both replies. I was a bit overwhelmed with some of the more in-depth tutorials I was finding. Sure, I need to learn all that, but right now I have a project to finish. There may be hope for me yet! :)

Thanks again, guys!