PDA

View Full Version : Sony EX-1

digitalpost
11-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Just let it be known that SE will open these native files. Thats right. The current mp4 wrapper that Sony is using plays fine! No conversion to MXF or MOV. Just drag, drop on go. I've done some "quick" tests of almost all the format flavors and all looks good. This full raster camera, recording to SXS cards, and price point are going to be a knock out!:thumbsup:

Tony R
11-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Is the EX-1 anything like the FX-1?

ScorpioProd
11-19-2007, 09:38 PM
I did the quick tests, too. But I wouldn't jump for joy yet.

I talked to John Perkins and he tells me it is very hit and miss currently.

Plus, the test files I played didn't play any audio and the frame rate might not have been correct in playback.

It is not a supported SpeedEDIT format at this point.

digitalpost
11-20-2007, 07:36 AM
I dont know what tests you did, but I shot my own footage out in the field with sound, just for the sake of testing the different multiple formats the camera is capable of so I'm pretty hopefully about smooth workflow and editing. Removed the SxS card from the camera and inserted into the express slot on my lap, copied to the HD and started editiing. Full 8 gig card copies in 5 mins.
John was a bit concerned on the new mp4 wrapper and XDCAM support in general< as was I > because I could not edit our original XDCAMHD mxf footage in SE. I tested everything except PAL formats. Great image on this camera, <the 1/2 CMOS's help > clean blacks especially in low light too. :bowdown:

digitalpost
11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Is the EX-1 anything like the FX-1?
tony... similar body sized but that's where it ends.
format is XDCAM HD
1/2 CMOS chips < 1920x1080
SDI out
full manual lens < not interchangeable >
does over and undercranking
records to soild state express cards
these are just a "few" of the many differences
and benefits

Rich Deustachio
11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Here is a review on the EX-1

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/16833/sony-pmw-ex1-hd-camcorder/

ScorpioProd
11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the footage from that site that was up with footage from the EX1 in a number of its formats, I had tried those test clips in SpeedEDIT 1.5 with mixed results.

I didn't realize the EX1 camera was actually shipping yet.

Yeah, the lack of XDCAM HD support in SpeedEDIT didn't make me expect XDCAM EX support this soon. But I guess Sony was right that the MP4 wrapper is easier to support than the MXF of the big cameras.

Tony R
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info and the links. This camera looks nice. Those SxS memory cards are expensive though. It can record 100 minutes using two 16GB cards. I found 8GB cards for nearly $500 each. That would cost $2000 for 100 minutes of recording time. I expect the prices will drop, but currently, that's a lot of money for storage. I may have to wait this out til the prices come waaaay down on the cards.

xpycm
11-20-2007, 10:59 PM
First Look at the Sony PVW-EX1
An Interview with Doug Jensen:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Sony-PVW-EX1.jsp

ScorpioProd
11-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Not that there aren't other advantages to the SxS, but I can't help but find it amusing how the new high-end HDV camcorders just announced this week by Sony can also record to a normal CF 16GB flash card for 74 minutes. A card that is much, much cheaper than a SxS card.

Sony seems to be competing with itself a bit, especially at the overlapping price points involved and comparable features.

ted
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
When I first looked at 8 gig cards for our HVX 200 they were $1,500.00 EACH. I now have 4 of them.
I consider the cards part of the Camera expense and never have to worry about tape.

After 30 years in the industry the price of cards wasn't the worry as much as a totally new workflow. Now that I've had the camera for a year, I hate it when I have to use my BetaCam!
The workflow is awesome. I won't go into everything I love about it here so not to hijack this thread.

But...
The 16 gig cards are now only $900.00 It's a totally new world and it's just part of doing business.
There are direct to hard drive recording options available, but I love not being teathered to anything, plus the cards are virtually indestructible and weather proof.
Just a late night rambling on why I love the solid state media. :thumbsup:

digitalpost
11-21-2007, 08:22 AM
When I first looked at 8 gig cards for our HVX 200 they were $1,500.00 EACH. I now have 4 of them.
I consider the cards part of the Camera expense and never have to worry about tape.

You hit the nail right on Ted. Some people just won't understand unless they work that way themselves! We been doing XDCAMHD for the past year in a tapeless work flow < for a much nicer price per card/disc > but unfortunately could never get SE to work correctly with the mxf files. The new express cards copy fast. On a demo shoot last weekend I was able to offload to laptop hard drive and auto backup to a $55 8 gig miniSD card for a secondary, and clear card.
Sony is giving 2 8 giggers with the deal so that helps. I also like the idea of 8 gig cards because I can also fit one on a dual layer DVD as a shelf backup for cheap.

pox
11-21-2007, 09:54 PM
So, is this camera shipping now? Is there a much higher CPU load in 1920x1080 SP mode? Any chance you could post a small clip with sound to play with? I just can't wait to get mine in.:D

digitalpost
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
the camera is shipping first pre-order batch now.

SBowie
11-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Man I wish you hadn't show me this camera, Brian ...

digitalpost
11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
This camera really rocks......come down and play steve!! we are both due for heineken's:beerchug: :beerchug:

pox
11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Awesome, I can't wait! :D

vncnt
11-25-2007, 04:56 AM
So, is this camera shipping now? Is there a much higher CPU load in 1920x1080 SP mode? Any chance you could post a small clip with sound to play with? I just can't wait to get mine in.:D

Check this http://www.vecomvideo.com/pages/test_ex1.htm
Please note there is no audio in the two time-lapse recordings.
In the other file audio seems to be silent.

ScorpioProd
11-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Ah, OK, those are the clips that I tried before, I didn't realize that they intentionally didn't have audio, so maybe there wasn't an audio problem when I played them. :hey:

I also hadn't been sure they were supposed to be time lapse, but now seeing that is what it translates to, I feel better about them. :)

digitalpost
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
EX-1 does not record audio during over or undercranking mode.
We are getting some beautiful images out of this camera.
It also handles low light very well, much better the our 330, and less
noise in the blacks! A very clean sharp image at 1920x1080.

pox
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Okay here is a Test clip I shot yesterday. It's straight off the SxS card. Shot in fully auto mode with sound, 1080p 30fps.
Play back in speed edit is smooth on my 8 core 2.3Ghz Xeon workstation, but this footage studders a little bit on my 2Ghz duo core laptop some times.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/pox/087_0018_01.MP4

I've also done some tests with my green screen and the key's so far looks much better than my HDV Z1U.

Very cool camera so far, I think newtek might need to tweak there code of mp4/mp2 support to get work a little bit better on slower systems. The sony clip viewer and VLC play back the files fine on my laptop 100% of the time.

ScorpioProd
12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Here's some good results on the low-light abilities of the EX-1:

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/mcfa0086/discretecosine/102587.html

CreatvGnius
12-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Not that there aren't other advantages to the SxS, but I can't help but find it amusing how the new high-end HDV camcorders just announced this week by Sony can also record to a normal CF 16GB flash card for 74 minutes. A card that is much, much cheaper than a SxS card.

Sony seems to be competing with itself a bit, especially at the overlapping price points involved and comparable features.

Could it be, Eugene, that the concerns I had alluded to earlier, about how Sony continued to charge high prices (relatively speaking) for their Memory Stickô offerings throughout the years may have "bit" them -- giving their would-be continued endusers a bad taste in their mouths (mine included)?

Perhaps this CF/SxS duo capability helps provide them some insurance against that continuing nuisance; so this time around, the Sony Customer wins.
:hey:
-PeterG