PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 newbie, boolean issue

stella64
07-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Just a newbie so sorry, have 7.5, doing a tutorial, single poly walls, with boolean subtracts for windows, looks ok, except for the single line from corner to edge of extract, also when imported to another app, Vue, no extract shows.
Also, if a multi poly wall, has same extracts, when imported to vue, extract shape has lost it's original shape?.
LW 7.5, no patches , and Vue 4.12.
Ta. Pattie., images above.

Rory_L
07-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Hello Pattie/Stella,
Software doesn`t like `concave` polys, like the wall poly, with the windows cut out of it. Lightwave can usually cope with them, but sometimes it gets confused and fills in those holes. The solution is to split the wall poly up into non-concave polys: connect all the window vertices with the wall corner vertices. Simply put, triangulate the wall poly!

Cheers,

R

John Fornasar
07-03-2003, 09:31 PM
This is normal... starting with the single poly on the left -

a polygon cannot have a hole in it, so when you do a boolean, the wireframe you ended up with is correct. It might be easier to understand this by using the Text tool in Modeler...
use a clean font (Ariel) and type a capital "O". You'll see that it is not a round disk with a hole in the middle of it, but a long narrow rectangle wrapped around to meet itself.

When you render it, you will just see the single surface, the edge of the poly (the line that you see) will not be visible.

Now the bit on the right -

You don't need all those segments for a flat wall, and somehow you ended up with way too many points in your window.

Try playing with booleans this way - don't try to build anything, but just make basic shapes and cutters and work with it a while.
There are two basic ways to create a wall with a window - you can start with a flat poly (x and y, but no z depth), cut your window shape out, and extrude what is left
or
make a solid rectangle (x, y and z depth), and cut through that with another solid shape.
After a while, you'll be cutting like a madman.

If you want to model buildings, working with bevels and booleans, two books to check out are

Lightwave 3D Applied (work through the Castle project)
(last one I have was for LW 5.6, but it would still apply)

Inside LW - they are numbered by LW version - 8 is about to come out, but if you can find a copy of Inside LW 6, do the Schoolhouse project. It'll painlessly show you how to efficiently make a house, covering booleans, bevels, arrays. Best part is that your cutters for the window holes become the window frames and glass.

Also do a search on the forum for various tutorial links -
but start here:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

tons of stuff, it'll keep you busy for a while.

Good luck

do a search on this forum for Author - riki
look for a link to his Modeler tools pages, very well done - I wish I had it 8 years ago...

whoops, one more - I'm not sure what Vue is, but I'd stick with LW and Layout for rendering until I was very comfortable with it... first off, exporting to another program usually introduces it's own problems, and secondly, LW has one of the best render engines around.

stella64
07-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks mate, John and Rory, I will check into these books and practise over the weekend, much appreciated and ta.
ST:D

riki
07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi Stella I have some tips on this page which might help http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page04.shtml