PDA

View Full Version : D*mn Brackets!

ruud
02-21-2003, 12:26 PM
I build this very cool chopper and it has a landing gear. Now I set this gear (existing out of 4 parts) up in Modeler. When arriving in Layout I "Clone Hierarchy'd" this 2 times, saving me time.

What the clone automaticly adds are brackets like this: Gear_02 (2).
Motionmixer starts crying because of these brackets, but layout doesn't let me rename the objects!!!

Now I still have to create 3 pieces of landing gear in modeler each consisting out of 4 parts... not funny!

Can this be fixed in LW8??

Greetzzz..!

Ruuterdetuutert

Skonk
02-21-2003, 12:28 PM
You should be able to rename them in the scene editor or schematic view.

James..

ruud
02-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Nope doesn't work :(

http://www.nutcase.nl/~ruut/Bracket.jpg

ya see?

Greetz.

Ruuter

Skonk
02-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Sorry then my bad, iv never used Clone Hierarchy so i was just asuming :)

James..

Matt
02-21-2003, 02:41 PM
expressions don't like brackets or spaces either, I'm suprised they never changed the (x) in layout when introduced them.

Skonk
02-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Almost a member matt :)

Matt
02-21-2003, 07:06 PM
whayhey! I'm there, I'm no longer part of the meek, I can now eat at the table with the grown ups!!!

:)

faulknermano
02-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ruud
Nope doesn't work :(

ya see?

Greetz.

Ruuter

you might just save to click on the object and save it as a different filename (not Save Transformed). you can get a custom script to save it out for you if you have alot of those clones.

Alec Trevelyan
02-22-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
Almost a member matt :)

not that it matters with custom titles enabled...;)

SplineGod
02-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Try renaming them in the spreadsheet editor.

Lynx3d
02-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Unless i missed something you can't rename an object clone (with the exception of Nulls), because the object/layer names are saved in the object only.

Think there is no other way than saving it with a different name and use the "Replace With Object File" command.

SplineGod
02-23-2003, 09:04 AM
There are several other clone tools for layout that clone heirarchhies. Lernies FamilyClone appears to let you do some kind of renaming.One fo those may work. Check on flay.

faulknermano
02-23-2003, 09:11 AM
no, familyclonegn will not circumvent the the native inability of lw to rename items.

like i said earlier, the only way to save an a MESH object is to execute the Save Object command and save that object with a different filename. if you only have one or two objects that need 'renaming' (e.g. saving) then that's good. if you need a lot of clones saved, then use lscript to automate it.

faulknermano
02-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d

Think there is no other way than saving it with a different name and use the "Replace With Object File" command.

afaik, executing a SaveObject() will abscond the need to "Replace With Object File".