PDA

View Full Version : fbx export plug in

Nige
11-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi

I'm using Unity to create walkarounds from Lightwave models.

Unity requires the Lightwave .fbx export plug in which is available from Autodesk, but not for UB. Autodesk has just told me that Newtek has taken responsibility for the plug-in

Chilton et al...

Is it going to be upgraded to UB??

Regards

Nige

Chilton
11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Nige,

I am also a Unity user, and I'll look into this and let you know.

-Chilton

Nige
11-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Nige,

-Chilton

Cheers for that...

It would be nice to have the ability to export direct from Modeller too....

I think the combination of Mac/Lightwave/Unity is fantastic - just needs the workflow easing...!

Best

Nige

Big Picture
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow, I'd love to see it too.

particledecay
12-01-2007, 05:25 AM
By the way the FBX exporter 2005.08 (the latest available) is working with LW 9.0 PPC, but I can't seem to get it working in later versions of LW.

P.S. While we're on the topic of FBX updates may I add to the wish-list?... Secondary UV maps are essential for practical Unity lightmapping, and at the moment the LW>FBX plug-in is not supporting the second UV map. Currently it seems using Blender or Maya (or 3DS) is the only way to do this effectively with your LW models (there is a LW workaround using only one UV map, but that's incredibly inefficient and suitable only for the simplest scenes).

DLIT
12-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I m afraid that if Newtek remains deaf to our needs, I ll have to consider forgetting them for good and switch to some other coherent package.

FBX SDK exists now, opening FBX world to other parties, enabling developers to write down plugins, and if Autodesk could build up plugins for 2 of their 3D package, I don t see why Newtek would not do it for one ? No excuse.

colkai
12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Perhaps you've not read Chucks post in the past that they do intend to work on FBX?

I also wonder why you felt the need to post the same comment in several threads?

archijam
12-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I m afraid that if Newtek remains deaf to our needs, I ll have to consider forgetting them for good and switch to some other coherent package.

'Deaf to our needs'? Chilton replied 10 days ago. Why all melodramatic ... ?

DLIT
12-02-2007, 10:12 AM
'Deaf to our needs'? Chilton replied 10 days ago. Why all melodramatic ... ?

Sorry, I must have missed it. Do we talk about setting up a compatible version of FBX enabling to export/import/merge from/to LW 9.3 and enabling interoperability with MB7.5 ?
Some of us seem to have had older versions of these two working fine. Now we re just blocked and asking interop to be continued. That s all and it s been already more than one year so.

If a reply was made to this issue, please kindly quote it.

Chilton
12-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Here's my quote, from higher up on this page:

I am a Mac programmer at NewTek, and a Unity user. I don't know the details of why Autodesk would say we have taken this over, as of right now. Anything that deals with inter-company communication is not something I would have (or even should have) any part of, anyway. Who knows--maybe we have. But it's not Mac specific, and therefore not something I would run into very often. There are enough Mac specific issues to keep me busy for awhile.

But I've forwarded the question to the appropriate parties, and I'm sure someone will be happy to fill in the details.

Just out of curiosity, what was the response you received the last time you emailed someone at NewTek about this?

-Chilton

DLIT
12-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Actually I only talked with someone at Newtek Europe who told me Newtek was not concerned about that now but never emailed to anyone. I ve seen that some other people like me complained about no more FBX bridge were working between LW9.3 and Autodesks's MotionBuilder7.5 meaning to me that all work done in LW was blocked because MB is a fantastic tool for animating characters. I consider LW also as a great package but there s no shame in not being able to do everything.

The point is that formerly the FBX plugin for LW was designed by Kaydara/Autodesk and was not open source. Now it is open source through its SDK and Autodesk says they put this SDK as free but no longer design plugin for others. I can understand that and I think it would just be fair from Newtek to take the care of building up this adapted plugin with SDK's help to enable their users just to keep the benefit of their work. I see no reason why it would not be done even if some bucks have to be paid for it, and I am not melodramatic when saying that if I m kept as the fly against the window, I ll have to find another way out.

Now I m also surprised after all complaints I ve seen here that there is no help to turn the issue around and not even a single reply from Newtek about this issue. That s why I said Newtek was deaf to our needs.

You say you ve forwarded the question to appropriate parties and I thank you for that. Let s hope at least some position will be stated clearly and rapidly to get us out of the fog.

Dom

Chuck
12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Chilton is NewTek staff, so the first reply on the thread was an acknowledgement from NewTek. NewTek staff (me, specifically, and I'm sure others as well) have also responded on this topic previously on more than one occasion. Those posts can be located by searching on the topic using the forum search options, as Colkai suggests, a consideration that would have determined that we have not been silent on the subject, and hopefully gained a bit of reassurance for you a bit sooner.

To share that info again, AutoDesk has indeed elected not to follow Kaydara's practice of providing FBX I/O plugins for any applications except their own. We communicated with Autodesk and wished to take over updating the plugin, but Autodesk declined to share the code, saying that they felt it would be better for us to develop from scratch. Given that, developing FBX I/O is among our plans for the v9.x development cycles.

robpowers3d
12-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Chuck,

That is really great news. An updated FBX plugin would help tremendously us in the type of work we are doing. I use Lightwave and Motionbuilder together every day and if you need any testing or info on the current functionality of the plugins let me know.

Rob Powers

Chilton is NewTek staff, so the first reply on the thread was an acknowledgement from NewTek. NewTek staff (me, specifically, and I'm sure others as well) have also responded on this topic previously on more than one occasion. Those posts can be located by searching on the topic using the forum search options, as Colkai suggests, a consideration that would have determined that we have not been silent on the subject, and hopefully gained a bit of reassurance for you a bit sooner.

To share that info again, AutoDesk has indeed elected not to follow Kaydara's practice of providing FBX I/O plugins for any applications except their own. We communicated with Autodesk and wished to take over updating the plugin, but Autodesk declined to share the code, saying that they felt it would be better for us to develop from scratch. Given that, developing FBX I/O is among our plans for the v9.x development cycles.

Marcia
12-05-2007, 07:27 AM
...To share that info again, AutoDesk has indeed elected not to follow Kaydara's practice of providing FBX I/O plugins for any applications except their own. We communicated with Autodesk and wished to take over updating the plugin, but Autodesk declined to share the code, saying that they felt it would be better for us to develop from scratch...

<sarcasm>Gee, what a surprise response from Autodesk. :devil: </sarcasm>

DLIT
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Chuck
That's a more reassuring message than what I ve heard hitherto. Now, any idea when a release may be expected ? Within a quarter or so ?
Thanks for giving news
Dom

Chuck
12-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Chuck
That's a more reassuring message than what I ve heard hitherto. Now, any idea when a release may be expected ? Within a quarter or so ?
Thanks for giving news
Dom

Unfortunately, I can't be more specific at this time than just to say it is on the roster for our 9.x development. Subject to change, of course.

Boo!
12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
...hi, im using LW on the OSX platform. just wanted to know if i could use the FBX plugin (when ever it becomes available) to transfer a model (no texture maps) from LW to Maya. or would it only work between LW and Motion Builder.
...thanks...

Chuck
12-06-2007, 04:58 PM
...hi, im using LW on the OSX platform. just wanted to know if i could use the FBX plugin (when ever it becomes available) to transfer a model (no texture maps) from LW to Maya. or would it only work between LW and Motion Builder.
...thanks...

The FBX I/O should work with any other application that supports the FBX file format.

DLIT
12-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Chuck
Thank you for your reply. May I make the following suggestion about this FBX matter :

Reading the messages, it seems that some of us has found some way to use the existing plugins but are not very specific about which versions of each software/plugins they use nor about their full process. So it seems that something can be already worked out from the existing stuff. All of us are not necessarily experts in mastering fully LW nor MB nor plugin use (I'm not anyway). Or some other just wont share their knowledge.

Suggestion : Maybe it would save time to Newtek and at the same time be helpful to the people of the community concerned by this issue, that before developping the whole FBX plugin, which remains a wishable project, Newtek just studies the matter and sets up an expert diagnosis of what can really be achieved with the existing material saying what can be done and what cannot. Then could NT wrap such diagnosis in a kind of statement or tutorial and everyone should take some advantage of it.

Dom

ItsPete
12-07-2007, 09:05 AM
it works with 8.5 and [i think] 9.0. It broke sometime after that (maybe 9.2) and is not UB. [/i think] i'm talking mac version for any pcers who don't know where they are.

the problems i see with the current one is i have to have 2 installs of lw (or just work in old cfm 8.5) and it doesn't support multiple uvs per poly. it does per object but not per poly which means no lightmapping. everything else works fine.

DLIT
12-10-2007, 07:17 AM
All complaints lodged in this forum seemed to be about new versions and what I m considering is last versions of MB which is 7.5 and LW which is 9.3.
One issue is for instance the unability to export vmaps from LW to MB. Any turnaround for this ?
Dom

tcastantine
12-12-2007, 04:25 AM
I've been using LW to create the objects I'm using in term project for a programming class. I'm using Microsoft's XNA studio (XBox 360 game creation engine) which prefers the fbx file format. I've had some success with the v9 exporter, but it is still pretty buggy once I get the objects inside of my game. At this point I've given up on using fbx and I'm just using old school Direct X (.x) files. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd seriously appreciate it!

Kiana
01-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I am so glad to see LW users that are also using Unity. I have been using LW for about 7 years or so (on a PC) and recently moved over to LW 9 for the Mac. I am also exploring Unity for game development and look forward to any info on this forum as well as the LW games development forum regarding fbx or collada support for LW.

BTW, as an intro, My name is Kiana and I live on the island of Maui in Hawaii. I am a casual but die hard LW user (i.e. I use LW a lot on my own, but since it is not a primary function of my job, I still consider myself a novice).

A hui hou!

--Kiana

andromeda_girl
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I too eagerly await an fbx exporter for the current version of LW.
That autodesk plugin worked [i think] up to LW 7.5 but other than that i have been stuck.

I use it to get models into fusion [including UV mapped surfacing]

meshpig
01-30-2008, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=particledecay]By the way the FBX exporter 2005.08 (the latest available) is working with LW 9.0 PPC, but I can't seem to get it working in later versions of LW.

Works fine on Intel/Leopard with 9.2. ...

-Unity= :thumbsup:

m