PDA

View Full Version : «Create» panel

Siegfried999
11-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi!:)

I've installed the Lightwave 9 demo version and I've a problem. I want to create a simple box but I don't find the primitive objects.

Where is the «Create» panel? I've just the Items, Modify, Setup, Utilities, Render, View and Modeler tools in the viewport.

I know my question is very basic and I'm not a beginner in 3d (I'm a Softimage XSI user) but I search everywhere and I find nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Roly
11-18-2007, 03:35 PM
In Lightwave you're going to find two applications: Modeler and Layout.
By your description of the problem you're in Layout and need to go to
Modeler for your; well, modeling needs. Layout would be for animation,
camera settings, render, etc.

Siegfried999
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
How to go «Modeler»?

I see «Modeler F12» in the top right and I click F12 and nothing happen.
I'm already in Modeler mode?

I posted a picture.

RedBull
11-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe you have a HUB problem, although it looks like F12 should load Modeler..
Modeler is a separate.exe file, so you can load it separately.

In the directory you will have Modeler.exe and Layout.exe, or in the shortcuts, you will have a Modeler and Layout, load Modeler to do modeling.

Siegfried999
11-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks Redbull! I loaded Modeler.exe and everything is Ok! :thumbsup:

Now I can create a simple box (is it very useful for modelisation :D )

Thanks again for your help guys!

cresshead
11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
a quick video on basics of lightwave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9vWgCdgkyU

BeeVee
11-19-2007, 02:35 AM
And now you will be able to use F12 to load one or the other if they aren't loaded, and to switch between apps if they are both loaded. Hub just needs to be told where each app is before it can switch between them.

B

jaf
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Another possibility is your firewall may be blocking Hub transfers.

spec24
11-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I thought discovery mode didn't allow interaction between Layout and Modeler.... maybe it was all a dream....

BeeVee
11-21-2007, 02:07 AM
It doesn't, but (s)he's not using the Discovery mode, but the trial mode, which is almost complete (but limited to 30 days).

Here are *all* the limitations of the trial mode:

1. You can't use commercial plug-ins tied to dongles because it doesn't use a dongle;
2. Erm;
3. That's it.

B

Siegfried999
11-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi! :)

I'm not sure which version I'm using, on the license window when I run the program I see «Discovery Edition» and when I use tools like cut, it's write «Trial mode» behind.

By the way, it's not I don't like Softimage XSI (It's my favorite 3d software), it's because I don't have the money to purchase XSI 6.5 Essentials version (3000$) who include hair, rigid body.
I'm looking for a 3d software at good price which I can create hair and rigid body. I think with lightwave I have all this for 900$ full complete kit, I'm wrong?
But I've some problems with modelisation.
Question: Why the extrusion is empty (as on picture), it don't follow the normals?
I'm also trying to make a mountains landscape tutorial from Newtek videos.
I create a grid subdivide 7 lines in each axe/click tab, I save it and import in Layout. Open the property page and find 3 in Display Subpatch Level and Render subpatch, the man in the video have 25 in both. I'd try 25 for raise the polygons but my mountains don't look like his ones. I sent pictures to see difference.

Thank Cresshead for your help! Your videos on biped are interesting, I had many problems with the biped in 3ds max.

En pasant BeeVee, je suis un gars, j'ai les cheveux longs mais je suis bien un gars! :D

N.S. I'm also trying the trial version of Maya 8.5 (I hate this one), Cinema 4D (beautiful hair) and the amazing Houdini 9 (by curiosity because it is very expensive).

Siegfried999
11-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Here the empty extrusion image!

parm
11-23-2007, 12:55 AM
The polygon normals have reversed, on your extruded cube. Select them, and hit key f on your keyboard to flip them. Lightwave has a lot of different ways for extrusions.

One of the better ways for doing this is to use the tool, four buttons below 'Extrude" called 'Extender Plus' (e). Select the Poly you want to extrude, press keyboard shortcut e to extend, then t to move.

cresshead
11-23-2007, 02:23 AM
btw all the keyboard commands such as f for flipping the normals are LOWER CASE so make sure yourt caps lock is 'off'

BeeVee
11-23-2007, 02:28 AM
You need to extrude in the opposite direction to the normal of the polygon you are extruding. You are in Trial mode, but I would immediately go to your account at http://register.newtek.com and get the current version 9.3.1 instead of continuing with 9.0. The reason I say immediately is that you can't get another 30-day trial on the same machine, so you might as well trial the latest version rather than one that was released nearly a year-and-a-half ago.

B

ben martin
11-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Hi! :) By the way, it's not I don't like Softimage XSI (It's my favorite 3d software), it's because I don't have the money to purchase XSI 6.5 Essentials version (3000$) who include hair, rigid body.
I'm looking for a 3d software at good price which I can create hair and rigid body. I think with lightwave I have all this for 900$ full complete kit, I'm wrong?.
Uhhhh.... it's fair that someone reply to this question of yours!
Just keep in mind that SasLite (hair/fur) in Lightwave is a "Light" version of Sasquach (Worley).
It won't allow you to achieve several tasks.
IMO XSi hair and rigid body are far more advanced than in LW same systems.

You can also give Blender a try... it's absolutely free and have all you need.
Nevertheless, Lightwave offer one of the best/fast render engines around and (IMO) a very comprehensive modeler easy to learn and use.

If Newtek one day decide to resolve some bad implemented features and develop a good Character Animation (CA) system... then Lightwave can go back to its glory days.

Hope this help.