PDA

View Full Version : Clone Hierarchy Problem

gordonrobb
11-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I am setting up IK chains for a mechanical landing leg. I get it all to work perfectly and the chain ends with a goal null that moves the leg. The whole chain is parented to a reference null. I select that null and Clone Hierarchy. Everything works fine except that the last item in the chain has its Goal set to the original goal object. I can change it manually, that's fine, but I want to clone the hierarchy something between 4 and 16 times.

Am I doing something wrong, or should this not be handled by clone hierarchy.

evenflcw
11-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Try the Copy Hierarchy function instead (part of the BoneTools). It has options to copy goals and targets (which really aren't logically part of the hierarchy). Mind you, this set of tools have their own set of issues.

SplineGod
11-18-2007, 09:41 AM
You might also try load from scene.

Giacomo99
11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
You might also try load from scene.

Which, don't forget, is completely busted (at least on the Mac) in 9.3. Hope you've got a 9.2 around to use.

gordonrobb
11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Copy hierarchy only works for bones. I am not using anybones.

I am having a problem with loadfrom scene messing up some of my morph expressions. When I load it it, it has moved things in both what was loaded, and the new version that was added.

My main question is though - should it, or should it not load new goal linkages? The goals themselves are in the hierarchy, so it seems logical to me they would be copied too.

evenflcw
11-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Copy hierarchy only works for bones. I am not using anybones.
I'll just chalk that up as another advantage to keeping the whole mesh in a single layer, animating parts with bones assigned with 100% weightmaps (I have a general dislike to IK setup directly on objects; to each his own) and reiterate that the BoneTools did not go through enough development phases (needn't have been restricted to bones only).