PDA

View Full Version : 30sec TV commercial technical requirements

dito
11-18-2007, 07:28 AM
I am not sure what I need to record on tape so that it meets technical requirements of 30 sec TV commercial. I know it has to have color bars and 1kh tone, but I need exact information if some has or can point me to.

Also how do I use 1kh tone for calibration.

Thanks

Tod Cole
11-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I am not sure what I need to record on tape so that it meets technical requirements of 30 sec TV commercial. I know it has to have color bars and 1kh tone, but I need exact information if some has or can point me to.

Thanks
This should help
http://www.cybercollege.com/tvp_ind.htm

Jim Capillo
11-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks

Check with your broadcast outlet. They will probably have specs they want you to adhere to. 30 seconds of bars/tone is the norm. Set the tone to 0db on the VU meter.

ted
11-18-2007, 11:59 AM
After 18 years at the NBC affiliate and 12 more making spots for broadcast, we always build the timeline as follows:
10 sec. black, 30 sec. bars and 1K tone, 5 sec. black,
5 sec. slate showing client, spot name, spot #, and our company name and contact info.
then 5 more sec. black, then the 29:26 spot, (No longer since computers will now cut the end off).
Then at least 10 more seconds of black.

In the last 5 or so years we've seen COUNTLESS improperly formatted spots, many with no tone, bars or even a simple slate.

The way to calibrate tone is to play the timeline with Tone at 0db on VT. Then zero your audio board. Then Zero your decks L & R channels.
And for God's sake, make sure your spot matches your tone. So many products we get aren't even close! :D

This is just how we do it, but a good practice for broadcast.

dito
11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone for response, especially Ted for such detailed description, I really appreciate this.

Ted do I use Colorbars_100 or Colorbars_75 and as far as calibrating tone, if I understood it correctly, I have to play 1K tone at 0db on VT .My sound is coming from VT board, so I guess I would not need to do anything there.

How do I do to make sure that spot matches 1k tone?
I mostly work on animation and visual effects and never had to create final deliverable product, so I really lack the knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Tod Cole
11-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone for response, especially Ted for such detailed description, I really appreciate this.

Ted do I use Colorbars_100 or Colorbars_75 and as far as calibrating tone, if I understood it correctly, I have to play 1K tone at 0db on VT .My sound is coming from VT board, so I guess I would not need to do anything there.

How do I do to make sure that spot matches 1k tone?
I mostly work on animation and visual effects and never had to create final deliverable product, so I really lack the knowledge.

Thanks in advance
k heres what tone and bars are for. when you take the tape to the cable/television station they tape the tape and calibrate the bars to the waveform/vecterscope and calibrate the tone at 0db on their ingest or playback unit. this keeps the color, video level, black level, sond, ect... all to the same standard as what you produced.

Tod Cole
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
as far as bars go if youre going to throw 75% bars onto the tape I would throw up a cg 75% bars. We get mostly 100% form clients.
sound tip- set the VT output level to 0 db. set the deck to record the exact same level at 0db. IF digital the see the web page for cross reference of bd's. Set the editor volume to playback the audio at a very "tame" level around the 0db range.

tfrank
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Don't forget to "define" what black is, 0 ire or 7.5 ire. When we get stuff in a 0 ire it causes all kinds of problems as we have boxes in line on the microwave and transmitter that will "boost the blacks" to the standard of 7.5 ire, and the client wonders "what happened to his blacks".