PDA

View Full Version : Should the New LightWave Gallery allow the images to be rated?

MGuerra
07-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Should the New LightWave Gallery allow the images to be rated?

This poll is in response to This Thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7616)

Let me know your thoughts...

cresshead
07-03-2003, 02:41 PM
i think a more interesting idea would be to count the full screen views from the thumbnail previews...that way you get a most popular by how many views it has had...and could then have a "top 20 viewed gallery"...

just a thought!

steve g

MGuerra
07-03-2003, 02:49 PM
It already has a "Most Viewed" option. On the gallery page, choose the "Most Viewed" link above it. It will display the images that are viewed the most first, as well as show the number of views per image.

cresshead
07-03-2003, 02:53 PM
ahhhh! thanks for pointing that out..been a loooong day teaching max [yuk] to students at college...!

steve g

lord
07-03-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't really see that much of a point in having the voting. Personally I'm not after popularity, I'm after comments, opinions, critiques. It's not a beauty contest. It's a place to share our work with other LW artists and get some feed back.

IMHO

Hervé
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
I really dont care of that gallery, but I do understand it could be humiliating some of the artists...

Just POV

Psyhke
07-04-2003, 12:42 AM
I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, because I don't mean it to be... it's just a thought, but--

If the gallery is meant to represent the best of what lightwave is capable of outputting, then perhaps a rating system will help NT people figure out what most people think are the best images, and can over time remove the weaker images and keep the the more impressive ones. Very Darwinistic, I know. It's just a thought that came to mind to the possible ways of looking at a reason for the ratings to exisit.

So, basically, if NT is looking to have a 'feel-good' community gallery, then get rid of the ratings. If they are looking to have a 'creme de la creme' gallery, then keep the ratings, and use the info as feed back.

Hervé
07-04-2003, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE] Very Darwinistic, I know.

Well that's the entire point.... but you're right no one said it would be easy...

Hey, it's a jungle ot there... he he he..

My humble.....

riki
07-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Softimage have a monthly Poll with seems to work well.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/v3/Gal_jul03/Gal_Jul03.asp

Titus
07-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Yes, and sometimes this tend to people asking all his/her friends to vote.

kyuzo
07-04-2003, 09:05 AM
As I understand it, the gallery is the best of the best, and rating images in the gallery is not particularly important. It's a showcase, not a competition.
In a 'traditional' art gallery brimming with paintings and sculpture, sure you can give feedback to the curator, but you'd never be expected to rate each piece from 1-5...

Derek

jevinstudios
07-04-2003, 10:58 AM
IMHO, I think if the gallery were to be rated, it should only serve the purpose to weed out images and narrow down the online offering, not to make an ongoing contest. Supposedly, these images have already gone through a rigorous screening process, and are there to represent what NewTek deems the highest standards of work created with their product. Let's leave it at that. I think NewTek has better areas to focus attention -- like getting LW out to more educational institutions, and broadening their user base.......

TerryFord
07-06-2003, 01:00 PM
I voted "No" but I wouldn't be prepared to fight to the death over it :).

Personally I think the rating serves no useful purpose for the artists, I agree with dzogchen that it feels a little like having schoolwork graded, and as we've already seen it's open to abuse.

I'm also strongly in favour of replacing the preview images with correcty scaled versions to remove the hideous scale artifacting.

Overall though (and just so my post isn't a total moan) I do like the new system ...

Regards,
Terry

Karl Hansson
07-07-2003, 04:58 AM
I think the video gallery needs to be updated. It's rather thin.

Hervé
07-07-2003, 11:01 PM
you're right, the video gallery is totally outdated, and sooooo smallll.... and frankly, nothing major....

POV, Hervé

Rei
07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
yeah, no new videos for AGES...

I think there should be a hidden (silent) voting system. Everyone can vote, but the only people who know the scores are NT, so that they can remove the less popular ones and replace them with fresh stuff (ya hear me, UPDATE!)